TRA Formal Vocational Training........

Chardy

So I'm doing the TRA Pathway A as I did a 4 year government apprenticeship but I'm not sure what to put in the Formal Vocational Training bit.

Is it just the first 2 years of my apprenticeship when I was on day release to college for my ONC or do I put the whole 4 year time down ?

In other words is this referring to my college study only which was part time for 2 years or all the training undertaken as part of my apprenticeship ?

Very confused ! :huh:

Guest ashnmatti

I did a 2 year apprenticeship on day release worked in a salon when i did my hairdressing nvq. i just put in the relevant formal vocational training bit, i put the place that i worked when i did my apprenticeship and the hours i worked there etc. I missed the next section i think thats for extra qualifications. the section after that....relevant formal skills recognition. I put the details of the company who provided my qualification i.e mine was VTCT it will say the company on your certificate. then i googled their contact details and put that in their. In the first section instead of putting my salons address i put the companies head office address. hope this helps??

Guest ashnmatti

oh yeah sorry, im applying for a 176 visa to go to SA and ive only just sent y TRA form of today lol. So im in abit of a rush

Guest mandi1971

Hi, im sure OH put the whole 4 years down as thats how long his apprenticeship was for. He did 4 years with an employer with 2 years day release to college.

Hope that helps

Mandi :biggrin:

Hi, im sure OH put the whole 4 years down as thats how long his apprenticeship was for. He did 4 years with an employer with 2 years day release to college.

Hope that helps

Mandi :biggrin:

That helps I think !

I also did 4 years with the employer, the first 2 were practical and theory training and also day release to college to get my ONC. the last 2 years were "on the job" training.

So in Formal Vocational Training do i put the 4 year period and my ONC as the qualification with the college details as the "Training Institute" ?

And then do I put anyhting in Section 5 RELEVANT FORMAL SKILLS RECOGNITION ??

Justin

:arghh:

Guest mandi1971

i wish i could remember :err:

Im sure you would put down the 4 years for your training though and in the formal training part would be any extra training you have done such as Corgi etc. But dont hold me to that.

Mandi

Guest ashnmatti

hun are you a plumber? if so are you not supposed to be assessed by vetessess. my OH is a plumber and thats who deal with the skills assessment for that occupation.

Guest mandi1971
ahhhh it was with the plumbing talk above, did u receive my email? and which visa are you applying for?

Lol that's my fault when we were talking 4 year apprenticeships etc I thought it was a trade?Soz hun my mistake :wacko:

I'd been talking plumbing all day to other people

Mandi x

ahhhh it was with the plumbing talk above, did u receive my email? and which visa are you applying for?

Got your email, thanks very much. I'm still apparently a trade even though I've always been employed as an engineer ! Still without a degree I can't be an engineer in oz !

• 1 year later...
Guest Nickoz

Hello Chardy! I was looking for information about TRA assesment and I found that you are (or were) in the same situation I am now. I did 2 years at the Engineering university, and even I don't have a degree, I always worked as an engineer. I want now to do the assesment for "Electronic Equipment trades worker" but the problem I'm facing is that I did an apprenticeship for more than 5 years but I didn't get any "formal qualification" from it. Do you know how can I complete the "Skills Assessment Application Form" without it? I have my employer letter confirming this but, as I said, I don't have any certificate.

I'm a bit frustrated... Thanks in advance for all the information you can give me!!!

Nicko

Nicko,

You can fill the form in saying you did an informal apprenticeship but gather as much detail as you can with regards the training you received, what methods you learnt, tools you used/were trained on.

Presumably you have some certificates from the University ??

Imagine you are describing your occupation to a group of 10 year olds with OCD !

I mentioned every screwdriver pair of cutters, meter etc I used etc, etc.

If you want to do a draft and send it to me I'll take a look but I'm no expert and TRA seem to have got a lot more picky in the last 18 months about who they approve.

Justin

Guest Nickoz

Thank you very much, Chardy, for your assistance! I'll try to explain everything as much as possible. I'll be getting my employer letter tomorrow so I'll prepare it with all I need on it.

I hope to have a "timeline" as completed as yours!!

Thanks again.

Nicko

Thank you very much, Chardy, for your assistance! I'll try to explain everything as much as possible. I'll be getting my employer letter tomorrow so I'll prepare it with all I need on it.

I hope to have a "timeline" as completed as yours!!

Thanks again.

Nicko

We are just about to submit our papers to TRA also, but for a different occupation.

All I can say is that they are sticklers for the information that they require. Quite a few people have been rejected first time round for providing evidence which is not detailed enough. It might be an idea to contact TRA by email and ask them specific questions. You normally have to wait a week or so to get an answer, but we have found that they do respond eventually. They are not quick to assess people and we have found that if you know what they want and how much of it before you send your papers off in the end it may help you. They are taking between 3-6 months to assess people. We have really taken a lot of time to make sure that the evidence we have is detailed and exactly what they are after as we didn't want to wait for months to find out that we had sent insufficient information and then have to wait another few months for them assess us again.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Guest Nickoz

Thanks everyone for the responses. One thing I don't understand yet is, what is the differences between these two options:

" have a qualification comparable to the Australian qualification for your nominated occupation

orhave completed an apprenticeship comparable to the Australian apprenticeship for your nominated occupation"

Both options are in TRA Guide and ask for "formal qualification"...

Thanks everyone!!

Nicko