register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Smirfyduo

Friends visiting Melbourne

Great timing now that we have moved to Mackay :arghh: :mad:

Anyway!! They have 3 kids - 12, 5 and 1 - and are planning a trip to Melbourne in August for a week.

Could use some advice on 2 levels please!!

Firstly, they are on a pretty tight budget, so can anyone recommend anywhere for the 5 of them to stay? When I have asked what they want to see / do, the answer is - oooh, what do you think we should do!! :goofy: So I don't think they have any idea about where in Melbourne they should stay! (No preconceptions could be a good thing!!) Because we lived in Melbourne, we never looked for short term holiday places there :eek:

Secondly - apart from touring around the city and places like the Vic Market, most things in Melbourne that we used to take visiting family and friends to do / see cost money. Eureka tower, Yarra cruise, Great Ocean Road, Wine tours, Moonlight Sanctuary, Werribee Zoo, Healesville, Phillip Island, Aquarium, dinner on the tram etc

Also - we don't have kids, so even if I could come up with loads of ideas about what to do, I am totally clueless about what the kids would like to do. The zoos I guess would be ok for them (tho the entrance fees are pricey:swoon:), but August is too cold for the beach, and Luna Park is the only theme park I know of and friends with kids who have been there say it is pretty pants :huh:

Don't think the kids would appreciate being cooped up in a car driving out to the Great Ocean Road - really stunning, but surely not entertaining for the 12 / 5 year old. :SLEEP:

What can I do for the kids to be the cool auntie???? :wink:

How about an AFL match at the MCG ?

I want it all, and I want it now.

Guest flip

Hi

Just reread the original post and had misread one of the ages as 15 rather than 5 so some of this might not be appropriate. Sorry.

I was wondering how much they can afford for accommodation and if they'll be hiring a car or need somewhere within walking distance of trains and buses?

In the City there's the free tram to circuit the town, the outlet mall at docklands, buskers like you might get at Covent Garden along Southbank where they also have the fountains and the food courts there are quite cheap to eat.

that's*melbourne*-*Melbourne Greeter Service has volunteers who give free walking tours of the City - haven't done it yet but maybe the done thing is to buy the guide a coffee? That site also has links to other great stuff to do around Victoria.

Restaurants, bars and entertainment (they had paintballing for $1 this morning and Comedy Festival tickets for just $5) are often offered at bargain prices through spreets, jumponit, deals and plenty more of those discount companies.

Other places to spend a day might be Olinda and Sassafrass in the Dandenongs with a quick to Sky High if they can afford it. The maze at Sky High is a bit underwhelming but the views are fabulous. If you get that far then between Belgrave and Kallista is Grants Picnic Ground where you put bird seed on your hands and hold them out in teapot position and gallas, parrots and cockatoos treat you like a tree (the seed costs a dollar from their gift shop). Sometimes there are too many tourists and the birds completely ignore you as your arms start to ache from being a bird-feeder.

There are craft markets all over the place esp. in the City, at St Kilda, at Warrandyte in the North eastern suburbs.

Shows in the City are great (our version of Dirty Dancing was far better than the one in London) and I saw Rock of Ages the other day and absolutely loved it - if they like the smuttiness of Rocky Horror show it'll be up their street - though it's not so smutty I wouldn't take my teenager to it.

Eureka Tower has a side elevating platform with a glass floor where you may decide to part with lunch - that's expensive but they had 10% off vouchers on the free tram.

Phillip Island has tourists year round especially to see the penguins and they have mini-golf and other activities which are hugely expensive at Amaze'n'things.

I'm being summoned to take my teenager to singing right now but might be back later if I think of anything else.

Hope they have a fabulous trip.

Cal

Guest flip

Hi

Just a couple more simple ideas, there are playgrounds everywhere so always somewhere for the littlies to go with fantastic climbing frames and slides to kill an hour and use as bribery.

There are plenty of green areas, the park in Eltham's great and I'm told Lilydale Lake Park is fantastic for walking round.

Also during school holidays (which unfortunately they're likely to miss) they have free entertainment in the shopping centres and at Federation Square - it's usually worth a look at Federation Square's website to see if there's any events on.

Hope this helps.

Cal

Healesville sanctuary family pass (3 kids) $64.00 Admission - Zoos Victoria

Take a picnic (and warm clothes in August) and its a fab day out. They have excellent (free) bird displays, reptile shows etc etc.

Grants picnic ground just past belgrave feeding the cockatoos & rosellas Free

Puffing billy family ticket return $77.00 Puffing Billy - Australia's Favourite Steam Train - Services & Fares

Philip Island Free. Visit the nobbies, walk on a few beaches, stop at San Remo before getting onto the island and watch the fisheman feed the pelicans San Remo Fishermans Cooperative

You will be sat 15-20 feet away. The kids will love it.

If its a dry day, even in winter Philip Island is fantastic for kids.

Free Tram CBD Melbourne Trams

Yarra glen. Surrounded by wineries Yarra Glen Yarra Valley Victoria » 

Lovely little town with some very nice shops.

St Kilda on a nice winter day is also a lovely day out, just to wander down the boulevard and watch the kite surfers and grab a coffee at a cafe.

Cardinia reservoir Parks Victoria: Cardinia Reservoir Park page

and already mentioned as well lilydale lake is beatiful

They could drive into the hills and visit Marysville or Toolangi. Areas badly affected by the bushfires 2 years ago. A great experience seeing how nature is healing itself, but you can also see how massive the fires were when driving through the forests.

just a few ideas.

:wink:

I see Cal had already mentioned grants picnic ground :cute: If they do go, buy a big bag of seed at safeway before they get there. they charge $1.00 for a tiny paper bag of seed at grants, and you get about a kilo for $5.00 in the supermarket.

Sky high has fantastic views on a good day, but I think looking at the kids ages, they will be bored in 5 minutes, and its expensive to eat/drink.

I definitely agree that Olinda & Sassafras are very lovely little towns ans flippin pancakes in sassafras makes a great treat for the kids if they want to splash out.

You mentioned yourself Vic market. Great for all ages.

Parleycross mentioned an AFL match family tickets from just $42.60 http://www.mcg.org.au/Events/Tickets/~/media/Files/2011%20AFL%20Season%20-%20Public%20ticket%20prices.pdf

Great timing now that we have moved to Mackay :arghh: :mad:

Anyway!! They have 3 kids - 12, 5 and 1 - and are planning a trip to Melbourne in August for a week.

Could use some advice on 2 levels please!!

Firstly, they are on a pretty tight budget, so can anyone recommend anywhere for the 5 of them to stay? When I have asked what they want to see / do, the answer is - oooh, what do you think we should do!! :goofy: So I don't think they have any idea about where in Melbourne they should stay! (No preconceptions could be a good thing!!) Because we lived in Melbourne, we never looked for short term holiday places there :eek:

Secondly - apart from touring around the city and places like the Vic Market, most things in Melbourne that we used to take visiting family and friends to do / see cost money. Eureka tower, Yarra cruise, Great Ocean Road, Wine tours, Moonlight Sanctuary, Werribee Zoo, Healesville, Phillip Island, Aquarium, dinner on the tram etc

Also - we don't have kids, so even if I could come up with loads of ideas about what to do, I am totally clueless about what the kids would like to do. The zoos I guess would be ok for them (tho the entrance fees are pricey:swoon:), but August is too cold for the beach, and Luna Park is the only theme park I know of and friends with kids who have been there say it is pretty pants :huh:

Don't think the kids would appreciate being cooped up in a car driving out to the Great Ocean Road - really stunning, but surely not entertaining for the 12 / 5 year old. :SLEEP:

What about the Go Kart Track at Keysborough (indoor) or outdoor one at South Morang (past Bundoora). Or Gumbuya Park (fun park) out of Packenham?

If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”

John Quincy Adams

treat them to go and see Collingwood :wink:

treat them to go and see Collingwood :wink:

When I still in the UK and I was interviewed for my job in Melbourne, I was told that part of the terms of my contract included the fact that I would barrack for Collingwood :twitcy:

When I still in the UK and I was interviewed for my job in Melbourne, I was told that part of the terms of my contract included the fact that I would barrack for Collingwood :twitcy:

Obviously you have/had a good boss then. :notworthy:

Guest flip

The Mayor told us we should barrack for Collingwood if we wanted to be Citizens - didn't notice that in our oath of allegiance though!