Would you write to the Minister of Immigration?

sami

Guest siamsusie
Maybe jumping the queue is the wrong expression, what I meant is when he can hardly speak English, where is the uniformity of the immigration process when some of us have to go through Ielts etc, and some manage to get PR without being able to speak the language - most of the Asian shopkeepers for example...they have the money to immigrate that´s it! Lucky them!!

Well I won´t write at all, just hope our next sponsor will not be so deceitful.

Sami,

There could be a variety of reasons why the Asians cannot speak English. I am friendly with a good few Asians who cannot speak fluent English and have entered on a spouse/ humanitarian pr visa etc.

Asian shop keepers have worked damned hard for their money and on many occasions offer a better service than the locals.

It is part and parcel of enjoying a multi cultural Australia.

I sincerely wish you success in obtaining your PR.

Susie x

There is a very good reason why a lot of migrants do not work in their trade.

I went on PR visa and found it was impossible to get a job in my trade except a temp contract

And I could find no one who was willing or able to tell me were in Australia the skills shortage in my trade was / is.

In fact on two occasions Australians told me that people in my trade had retrained for another Trade!

You are lucky your relative can offer you a job in your trade

The relatives I have in Australia work in trades I have no skills or experience in.

I understand what you are saying and yes my wife is lucky but even though she will be working in our chosen trade we are still struggling.

My point is this. If jobs are on the SOL and SMP's as being in demand why do people struggle to get a job in the trade that is supposedly so high in demand. the reason they are on these lists is because there is a void or gap in this trade.

If this is not the case and like you other people struggle then perhaps the government need to scrutinise the jobs that are in demand and ask the employers that why do they scream out for skilled workers only to offer them temporary contracts.

Shane

I understand what you are saying and yes my wife is lucky but even though she will be working in our chosen trade we are still struggling.

My point is this. If jobs are on the SOL and SMP's as being in demand why do people struggle to get a job in the trade that is supposedly so high in demand. the reason they are on these lists is because there is a void or gap in this trade.

If this is not the case and like you other people struggle then perhaps the government need to scrutinise the jobs that are in demand and ask the employers that why do they scream out for skilled workers only to offer them temporary contracts.

Shane

Part of the problem is that the "in demand" lists lag the job vacancies by months, if not years. When I look at what is on the ACT list for example, I am always gobsmacked - when you get 50 people applying for a job which is supposed to be "in demand" on the immigration lists, you do have to wonder who is maintaining the lists.

I think a lot of people are only offered temporary contracts because employers know that they can get the punters to Aus and pay them less than a resident Aussie would accept for the same job because people seem to be desperate to come to Aus. It never ceases to amaze me how low paid some of the 457 jobs are, especially in Canberra where the average wage is close to $80k. Another reason for the temp contract is often that the employer works on a contractual basis with their providers as well and if they cant be assured of funding for the future they cant afford to have permanent employees. In lots of areas, Australia is moving to contract work rather than tenured employment.

Guest Jem Boyce

I operate "out of Africa", and I think the Aussies have a serious problem. Anyone who has any brains wants to go and live there; so the chap mentioned earlier on , who can't speak a word of English must have crooked the books and the case officer did not pick it up. I had a Nigerian who scored an average of 3 on his IELTS test, , two weeks later he average 5.5 and another 3 weeks later he averaged 7.5.

I checked and he had forged the document; and so told him to "go away".

But At least the Australian authorities are trying to prevent this as best they can but some people will always circumvent the rules.