You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Meadows73

Driving Licence

Recently arrived in South Australi as successful applicant for RSMS 119 visa (Hurrah) and went to exchange my UK driving licence for SA licence.

I had a nasty shock!

I have been deaf since childhood, passed my driving test 33 years ago at age 20 and have been driving ever since. I declared being deaf & hearing aid wearer to DVLA & insurance company and had comprehensive insurance- no problem.

But in Australia because I am deaf and wear a hearing aid, I have to pay to undergo medical before I can even apply for a SA driving licence. You have to declare deafness on the licence application form or it makes your licence and insurance invalid.

Now I am unable to change over my licence until I do this. I was absolutely steaming!

My husband says I am overreacting but in the UK this would be seem as discrimination!

It really upset me, I passed the migration medical as the main applicant and now I can't even change my driving licence!

Congratulations on getting your visa, please don't let the driving license dampen your spirits, good luck with the medical

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest flip

I can understand how frustrated you must be. How long can you drive on your English licence in SA?

Good luck with getting through that process quickly and ticking yet one more box in the ridiculously long list that is migration!

Guest JK2510

My OH is diabetic and he had to pay to see our GP to get the driving licence form signed!! GP said what a waste of time these forms are and that he gets fed up with them!

I find there are a few issues with how the uk and oz do things. I get quite fed up of shops checking my bag and treating me like a thief!

I agree, it is somewhat ridiculous. My statndard response is to say that Red tape, and the hoops you have to jump through will vary in different countries. It's a pain in the backside, but I've learned from experience that the least stressful way to deal with it is just to suck it up and jump through the hoops.

I am somewhat confused though. I just looked up the medical standards for drivers, and according to the following document (on page 64): http://www.austroads.com.au/cms/AFTD%20web%20Aug%202006.pdf

only commercial drivers are required to be tested for hearing purposes.

Where are you based? It could be that the minions in your local office don't really know the details. It's probably worth trying taking this document into the office and asking to speak to the manager.

Guest kangomik

The comedian Adam Hill has a good section in his routine about disability's and driving licences here in Oz.

It shouldn't be a problem, I work with a lad who is deaf, he has a race licence too!

I can understand how frustrated you must be. How long can you drive on your English licence in SA?

Good luck with getting through that process quickly and ticking yet one more box in the ridiculously long list that is migration!

Thanks for your good wishes.

I understand that I can drive for up to 3 months on a PR visa, I thought I would change it while I had time before I started work. I was trying to change it for an SA licence. Trouble is, I do not have my Medicare card yet, and I am not going to book an appt until I have.

Guest kangomik

Do you need a medicare card?

Or do you mean you are waiting for one to get the tests done cheaper?

Sorry it's easy to baffle me:biggrin:

I do not have my Medicare card yet, and I am not going to book an appt until I have.

Hi if you have already applied for a number and just waiting for your card, you can call Medicare direct and they will give you the number over the phone.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...