Subclass 309 Provisional Spouse Visa: 2nd Stage

Guest Scott in Oz

Guest Scott in Oz

Hi everyone, hope all Visa lodgements are going well for you all!

I applied for my Partner Subclass 309 visa back in March 2009, which was granted by June 2009 and I moved out here in July 2009, it was all fairly straightforward, we didnt hire a migration officer and I double & triple checked everything before it was sent. All that seemed to go through fine, and like I said I was on my way by July.

No one seems to really tell you much information about the second stage of this visa, I was advised to contact Immigration 22months after I lodged the application, so that I could continue with the next stage, I have done that and I am waiting on the paperwork arriving, hopefully any day now.

When I asked the lady on the phone what it actually is, she said just more paperwork to show that you are still together (which we are, and getting married in July!) :biggrin:

Does anyone know what the paperwork is/what kind of questions? is it basically just the first process all over agian? How long does it take to come back? do you get interviewed? And is there another cost involved?

Its quite confusing, as you sort of forget after being here for 2 years that you are STILL only a temporary resident! But it does present a few obstacles with things such as loans, insurance etc.

Any help would be very much appreciated, sorry for the long post , thanks :wink:

Guest siamsusie

Hi Scott,

There is no extra fee, this is incorporated into the initial costing which you have already paid.

Just check that DIAC have your current address and the forms will be sent out approx. 2 months before your permanent visa is due. You can always call to remind them.

A new police check will be required, Form 80 ( I think) and the usual statements from Aust. citizens confirming you are still a couple.

Some people get asked for more or less, depending on your situation.

Boganbear (PIO member) has just had his through, so maybe he can confirm this.

Susie x

*Amending my wording*

Guest Scott in Oz

Thanks for the information, but what do you mean 'before my visa expires'? I didnt think this visa had an expiry date, I was under the impression I just need to wait until the paperwork for the second stage is sent out.

I have called them twice now, and they have all of my current details, although they said they have sent and emailed the info to me twice now! I have still not recieved it, so I am waiting on the third tim elucky paperwork coming through! Typical!

How would I get in touch with the person you mentioned before, as I am new on here, and still trying to figure out how it all works.

Thanks again :)

Guest siamsusie
Thanks for the information, but what do you mean 'before my visa expires'? I didnt think this visa had an expiry date, I was under the impression I just need to wait until the paperwork for the second stage is sent out.

I have called them twice now, and they have all of my current details, although they said they have sent and emailed the info to me twice now! I have still not recieved it, so I am waiting on the third tim elucky paperwork coming through! Typical!

How would I get in touch with the person you mentioned before, as I am new on here, and still trying to figure out how it all works.

Thanks again :)

Your temporary visa should say "permitted to remain to Australia and remain until notified that the permanent visa application has been decided upon" so it doesnt have an expiry date as such. ( I have a friend staying right now, so copied this from her passport) So dont worry there. I would call DIAC again, taking a note of the date, time and name of the person you speak to.

Bogan Bear ... press on this link http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/19300.html

BB should be able to put you wiser.

Good Luck!

Susie x

Hello, luckily i saw your post!

My stage 2 was up in june last year but I never got any paperwork from Immigration so it was lucky I was on the ball but I had to phone them 3 times to send me soemthing but you have to get everything done in 1or 2 months (can't remember exactly now).

The process was relatively easy with lots of paperwork to fill in but not as much as stage 1. You need to get another police check done (AFP this time) and cost about $40. You have to fill in more forms - I think it was form 40 again so if you have copies of your other ones it will help. I lost mine and forgot half of the countries I had been to in the last 10 years and you have to list all of your employers again. More evidence that you are together so bank statements, rent agreements, photos, bills etc. Just bombard them with stuff.

Remember they are not trying to catch you out but just ensure that you are complying with the regulations so if there are some discrepancies or things you forget, just be honest and mention them in your statement. We also put a paragraph in about future plans - buying a house and starting a business. it was partially a bit of waffle but it shows you have future plans together as well.

You have to list 2 Aussie citizens for them to contact, though they dont need to do Stat decs. We listed OH's mum and sister but Immigration never contacted them, and more decs from you and partner, although this time ours were quite short - about a typed A4 page each.

It took about 3 months to hear back from them so be patient. They are in all probability not going to chuck you out of Oz but apparently they do a lot more checks than they do for stage 1. I got my PR same day as a speeding fine so technically I was a pommy criminal before i got my PR.

One thing they dont tell you is that for some countries (including the UK) you need to get a new sticker in your passport proving that you have permanent residency, otherwise airlines wont let you fly back to Australia as they get fined for each 'illegal' they send over. It seems totally silly that i dont need this to go on holiday to NZ but do if i go to the UK but it only took 15 mins to get a new sticker put in my passport at the Melbourne Immigration office.

Good luck and dont worry too much about it. I think the hard part is getting your temp residency and getting here. Since I got PR banks have been falling over themselves to give me credit cards and mortgages and getting a nice job was much easier. Oddly enough I was sent a form to register to vote, even though I'm not a citizen yet.

Guest Scott in Oz

Hi, yeah that was lucky!

All the info you gave really helped, although you say that it took about 3months for them to get back to you, they told me it takes between 6-8months, did they also tell you this and it was just that you were lucky and got yours quicker?

I have just had a phonecall from my Fiance to say that the letter arrived this morning, so he is bringing it to work for me now, so that I can see it all!

With the sticker in your passport, we will be travelling back to Scotland in July to get married, and it will be the first time I have been out of the country since I have held this visa, i dont think that I will have my permanent residency through yet (from the timeframe they have advised) have you ever travelled back to the UK when you were still a Temp resident, and did that ccause any problems/confusion at the airport? I have nothing in my passport at the moment that says I am even a Temp resident, so that is another thing that I am worried about.

What do you think?

Immigration said it wil take about 6 months but i think thats their standard reply. I though 3 months was not too bad.

I havent been abroad yet (off to NZ next month) but you should have an orange sticker in your passport saying you have a temp/provisional visa - otherwise they would not have let you into Australia. It says somethig free to enter and leave Australia until a decision on PR is made. I dont think you should have any problems but it might be worthwhile contacting DIAC and let htem know your wedding plans. They might do it quicker - you never know.

Guest Nadjez

so glad you have posted this thread am on the temp spous visa myself now although only aplied in june 2010 so have til june 2012 til get the ball rolling for the second stage, but yes there isnt as much info about it than the first stage. so basically keep saving evidence as before. and no other cost is that correct other than the new police check? which check is that again it's a specific one isnt it? do you need one for all countries you have spent more than one year in or just the ozzie one. I have flown back to uk on my temp visa. i have no sticker in mine, was granted the visa in oz from a preospective marriage visa they said it was e;ectronic. The immi guard was a bit funny with m,e at the desk leaving oz to go to uk asking where my visa was, where my old passport was. Well i got married so haev a neww passport and had m,y visa grant letter there etc etc he just called someone over and luckily i had my marriage certificate on me and she just updated the system for me, needless to say i was very nervous when it came to flying back to oz but it was all ok haha thankfully

• 1 month later...
Guest CymruinOz

Hi all. I am waiting to complete my second stage too. I called them and asked for more information - because a friend of mine had his second stage waiting time waived and he didn't have to wait for his two years to lapse before being granted his PR. When I spoke to them, they weren't very helpful, and just told me to call back before I plan on leaving the country.

I also have an electronic visa, and so have nothing other than my original email saying I have been granted a provisional visa.

• 2 months later...
Guest navdeepkaur

i have sent my secomd stag papers but they havent ask me for more evidence.its more than 3 months now how long do i hv to wait

• 7 months later...
Guest sophie1108

I received my second stage letter last week.

After reading this thread, seems to me they ask for different things depending on your circumstances.

I was only asked for a new police check, fill in a form, a stat dec from myself and from my partner, the usual certified copy of drivers license and passports and then it all said something about evidence to support any significant changes. Now I dont know exactly what this means, but I would assume it means if we had got married - proof of this. But we havent got married, and nothing has changed in our relationship since lodging the first part. They have not specified needing proof of address so do I send anything??!!

Thanks for writing these threads everyone, they really do help.

Sophie

Archived