and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest stoorob

Online Banking

Guest stoorob

Hi,

As my wife and I are moving to Melbourne in the next month or two we're going to need to look into opening a bank account before moving.

Can anyone suggest banks with good online facilities? I use Smile (part of Co-Op) in the UK and really like their approach, so something similar would be great. Would also be handy if it's possible to open an account from the UK.

Thanks,

Stu

Here's a shot from my NAB online banking it does everything I need (so far!).

NAB.jpg

You can open an NAB account from the UK, but can't access online banking until you have been to a branch in Australia to validate your identity. Hope this helps :)

Guest stoorob

Cheers Peach, they look decent enough, for a bank ;)

Stu

I've used all of the other bigs 4 online facilities and all are pretty good and similar to the online facilities I have for my UK accounts.

All the big 4 also offer the ability to set up the account in advance from the UK and you just need to verify your ID in an Aussie branch before you can withdraw money.

It would probably be best to work out where you are going to live and what banks/cashpoints will be available as you get charged here for using a cashpoint that you don't bank with

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

I used Smile in the UK and signed up to Bank West when we got to Australia. We're very happy with Bank West service and their online banking is straight forward. Don't think you can open a Bank West account from the UK though...but we didn't feel we needed it until we got here.

All the best.

Hi,

As my wife and I are moving to Melbourne in the next month or two we're going to need to look into opening a bank account before moving.

Can anyone suggest banks with good online facilities? I use Smile (part of Co-Op) in the UK and really like their approach, so something similar would be great. Would also be handy if it's possible to open an account from the UK.

Thanks,

Stu

We use NAB, they are great and have no charges for their online account, before you open an account check the charges, some accounts work out quite expensive...

Guest stoorob

OK, NAB it looks like it is then, thanks!

Dont forget St George. Apart from their internet banking site which I find to be very user friendly, their call centre is second to none (and I have tried a few)

We opened accounts with WESPAC In the UK and they were brilliant ... aleardy have paper work and pick p cards in branch when we arrive... they have set up online banking for us.

Lobeany ... crazy girl nearly in Oz :wink:

HSBC for credit cards as they dont charge an annual fee and you get 55 days credit where most give you 44 days but dont close your existing accounts as they come in very handy for buying things on the internet from abroad.

Many banks here - particulary ANZ charge you an extra fee for buying something on the internet if the processer is abroad. I had a massive row with ANZ and then switched banks as they charged me another 3% for buying a holiday from expedia.com.au but their card processing unit was in America. When I complained to expedia they were great and refunded me the extra charge ANZ charged me.

I'd definitely NOT recommend ANZ. They recommended me an account which was more expensive than what i needed, charged me a fortune for changing 20 quid into dollars.

Guest stoorob

Have decided on Westpac, they seem to be slightly better when it comes to fees, just hope their service is good and net banking good....

If you are working and can deposit at least $2000 per month in your account, it doesn't really matter which of the big banks you choose.

However, I believe NAB is the best choice. Their account is fee free with no conditions at all (no minimum deposit required per month), and their mortgage rate is the lowest of the major banks and has been for around 18 months.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Guest stoorob

Hmmm, NAB have fee free banking for oversees purchaches, could be useful. Although in saying that I intend to keep a couple of UK cards for that kind of thing.

Wespac are better and my friends in Oz tell me so ... they have had accounts with them for years and have good relations with them... some accounts are fee free but the mortgage for migrants are excellent. They are also the only bank in Oz to have international london branch thats been there since about 1878 I think

Anyway I have found them helpful quick non fuss and very keen to find good solutions for you

works for me everytime

and the overseas purchases fee free is all well and good but be careful it doesnt have any loop holes... anyway thats why I am keeping a nominated card for uk ... so that I can use it for that purpose only. Hope that helps

Guest stoorob

Maybe but they do charge 3% to withdraw or purchase from a non Australian processing institution...

If you make a lot of overseas purchases or overseas travel the NAB Gold Banking account is very good as they don't charge the Foreign Currency Conversion fee (usually around 1%).

However this account cost $10 per month unless you can deposit $5000 per month to get the fee waived.

I have this account and it is great when you are travelling. But probably not worth it if you have to pay the fee.

As I mentioned before the NAB Classic Banking is fee free with no conditions but you will pay the foreign currency conversion fee.

I want it all, and I want it now.