Getting tourist visa straight after a working holiday visa

Guest RuthRescued

Guest RuthRescued

Hi everyone

My boyfriend's working holiday visa is due to expire soon. After a brief trip home he's hoping to return to Australia as a tourist and continue his travels.

Have you had any experience of that - is it fairly straightforward? Or a risk of being turned away?

Many thanks :)

Hi everyone

My boyfriend's working holiday visa is due to expire soon. After a brief trip home he's hoping to return to Australia as a tourist and continue his travels.

Have you had any experience of that - is it fairly straightforward? Or a risk of being turned away?

Many thanks :)

I know of 2 separate people who were refused entry.

After working legally for 2 years on a WHV they tried to return after 2 weeks in NZ and were refused as DIAC reckoned they would be likely to take up thier old jobs and work illegally.

Guest RuthRescued

Thanks joebloggs, that's my worry for him. When I get my PR (anticipate around september) I should be able to sponsor him, but we have a gap to cover which is looking a bit tricky.

Appreciate you sharing your experiences, many thanks. Would be grateful for the thoughts of any others who have had experience of this too....

Thanks a lot :)

Guest Laura G

Hi,

Have you considered a short course and get him a student visa?

I note from your location (Brisbane) there is a College there that offers Sport courses, you can get a 6 month course for approx $3,000.00 (tuition fee)

This visa would offer him 20 hours per week work rights and it is highly unlikely that an 8503 would be imposed leaving you open to apply for another visa later.

Guest Burchos

Back in the early mid 90's my OH had an 18 month holiday visa. Restrictions were he had to leave the country every 3 months and then re-enter, which he did. He fulfilled the restrictions of his visa, but then on his return to the UK he wanted to go for another 4 week holiday 7 months later. He was refused a visa.

Guest RuthRescued
Hi,

Have you considered a short course and get him a student visa?

I note from your location (Brisbane) there is a College there that offers Sport courses, you can get a 6 month course for approx $3,000.00 (tuition fee)

This visa would offer him 20 hours per week work rights and it is highly unlikely that an 8503 would be imposed leaving you open to apply for another visa later.

Thanks for your replies guys - much appreciated.

Laura I'd be very interested to find out the details of the course you mentioned - what's the best way to go about getting further info?

Thanks again

Ruth

Guest mark&robyn

Hello!

My OH re- entered OZ after a WHV on a 3 month tourist visa & had no problems.

As long as you have a travel plan & cash you should be OK.

Hope all works out.:cute:

• 4 years later...

Hi everyone,

I have a similar question. I am currently living in Australia on a 12 WHV subclass 417. I will have worked at my current job for 6 months and then change jobs for the second half of my stay. My visa expires January 7th 2016. I will finish work just before Christmas and exit Australia to NZ for one week to apply to return to Australia on a 3 month Tourist visa. I do not wish to work during this time, but my family is coming to travel around Australia and I was hoping to join them.

I understand no one can guarantee that I will be approved for a tourist visa directly after a WHV but I am wondering if others can provide me with similar experiences and/or tips on furthering my odds.

I have read several forums and these are the tips/points I have gathered.

- Having sufficient funds to prove I will not be working

-A return ticket home

-Leaving the country and applying from NZ

- Proof that my family is coming to visit

-Proof of bank statements/not working

Having read these points, what are the chances of me being granted a 3 month tourist visa? Is there anything else I should include?

Even if I am granted a tourist visa online while in NZ, can I be turned away upon arrival in Australia?

Hi everyone,

I have a similar question. I am currently living in Australia on a 12 WHV subclass 417. I will have worked at my current job for 6 months and then change jobs for the second half of my stay. My visa expires January 7th 2016. I will finish work just before Christmas and exit Australia to NZ for one week to apply to return to Australia on a 3 month Tourist visa. I do not wish to work during this time, but my family is coming to travel around Australia and I was hoping to join them.

I understand no one can guarantee that I will be approved for a tourist visa directly after a WHV but I am wondering if others can provide me with similar experiences and/or tips on furthering my odds.

I have read several forums and these are the tips/points I have gathered.

- Having sufficient funds to prove I will not be working

-A return ticket home

-Leaving the country and applying from NZ

- Proof that my family is coming to visit

-Proof of bank statements/not working

Having read these points, what are the chances of me being granted a 3 month tourist visa? Is there anything else I should include?

Even if I am granted a tourist visa online while in NZ, can I be turned away upon arrival in Australia?

Your evidence sounds useful, but really there is no way anyone can know what will happen. Some people could guess at yes and an equal number could guess at no. It is possible to get the tourist visa granted in NZ and still be turned away in Australia, yes.

So what would be the best path to take? I cannot extend while I still have my current WHV because it will overrun this visa which means I will no longer be able to work. Therefore I have to wait till this visa expires, leave the country, and hope I get granted a visa? There is no other path I can take to ensure I am granted a visa before my current WHV is up?

So what would be the best path to take? I cannot extend while I still have my current WHV because it will overrun this visa which means I will no longer be able to work. Therefore I have to wait till this visa expires, leave the country, and hope I get granted a visa? There is no other path I can take to ensure I am granted a visa before my current WHV is up?

Never any guarantee with a visa. And I didn't suggest there was anything wrong with your plan, just that nobody can say with authority what the outcome will be.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi,

@Have you considered a short course and get him a student visa?

Hi @Laura G I just did a quick search of your agent number and couldn't find it, please could you check it is correct and add which company you are from.

Thanks

Hi @Laura G I just did a quick search of your agent number and couldn't find it, please could you check it is correct and add which company you are from.

Thanks

PQ, they could no longer be around as that was 2011

• 5 months later...

I'm in a similar situation, are you back in Aus now? I hope you have a great time with your family.

I'm currently in Bali waiting for my visitor visa to be granted after my first working holiday visa has finished (I didn't realise I had another 28 days to stay after I withdrew my 2nd year application!). My boyfriend will be supporting me while I'm in Aus and I won't be working, I hope it all goes smoothly on Friday when I land in Brissy! It's been a dream to call Aus home so I hope I can get back soon to make that happen!!

Will update this thread when I know what's happening.

Archived