Guest briansp

How long do I have to move after getting a Visa?

Guest briansp

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what timeframe you have to move in after getting a visa?

My wife is a nurse with a degree so she has plenty of points for a 175. I work for a firm that can let me work from Australia if I want to go.

My plan is to get the visa on my wifes occupation then progress with my work. How long would I have to achieve this? Does the visa expire if there is no entry within a certain date?

(suppose there is also a challenge over nursing registration expiring)

thanks

Brian

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what timeframe you have to move in after getting a visa?

My wife is a nurse with a degree so she has plenty of points for a 175. I work for a firm that can let me work from Australia if I want to go.

My plan is to get the visa on my wifes occupation then progress with my work. How long would I have to achieve this? Does the visa expire if there is no entry within a certain date?

(suppose there is also a challenge over nursing registration expiring)

thanks

Brian

Hi

You have 1 year from either the medical or police clearance certificate once your case officer requests them. i.e. If you are asked on the 1st april and you provide both on the 1st May you will need to enter by 3oth april following year. However you can validate and return home as the visa then has 4 years left before it expires for good..

ACS RPL Application Lodged 15/01/2010, ACS 2231-79 (Network Security) Granted 25/02/2010, IELTS 20/03/2010 Band 8.0, 175 CSL Visa Online 08/04/2010, CO assigned 07/06/2010, Medicals Finalised on 18/07/2010, Docs changed to MET 5/08/2010, 175 Visa granted 23/08/2010

A 175 visa is valid for multiple-entry to Australia for 5 years from date of issuing. It does however have to be validated (which means making a first entry into Australia) by the date specified when it is issued. This date will normally be 12 months after the earlier of your police checks or your medicals.

If you are in Australia at the end of the 5 years you can stay indefinitely (hence Permanent Residency). If however you need to be somewhere else then to enter Australia after the 5 years are up you will need to obtain a Resident Return Visa (to be eligible for which you will [probably] need to have lived in Australia for 2 years) or an Australian passport (to be eligible for citizenship you will need to have lived in Australia for 4 years).

Once a 175 visa is issued you can work in any occupation, there is no requirement to work in the area for which your visa was issued. It does not matter if your wife never works as a Nurse in Australia even if that is what got you the visa.

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

Guest briansp

Thanks for that very useful. One final query - to validate, does the whole family have to enter the country or just the wife and I? i.e. could we go without the 4 kids for a short trip then return to UK.

Guest VickyMel

Every person included on the Visa application has to enter and validate - including the kids quite expensive.

Guest briansp

"Every person included on the Visa application has to enter and validate - including the kids quite expensive. "

ouch - thanks

Guest Ari3139

Hi, Sorry to pop in on your thread but all related.

Just wondering if you all have to go together? Hubby wants to go first as has a job to go to but I need to stop behind and sell the house. is this possible?