Trade Recognition Australia...how long?

Guest thekelbos

Guest thekelbos

Hi,

has anybody completed an assessment with TRA? My husband although a Quality Engineer here (Mechanical Engineer Apprenticeship served), he is classed as a Mechanical Engineer Technician I think in Australia. He'll be submitting paperwork today or tomorrow.

Was just wondering on timescale for completion. We want to get moving for application for SS WA so we can get our 176 visa application in asap.

Hi,

In the same boat as you I'm afraid. My OH passed AQF as he had no formal qualifications, (trained old school on the job). We are self employed and waiting for a letter from our accountant to confirm a period of self employment, and a letter from the company who has hired us for the last ten years. We are using a migration agent who said it takes around 4 weeks, although looking at the statistics of other members on this site some have got the thumbs up sooner.

Hi,

Our agent said it's around 4 weeks. In the same boat as you, OH just passed AQF so we are frantic trying to gather all the information we need for the TRA. We are self employed so we need to prove our business to the TRA. Just waiting for a letter from our main contractor to prove we have been in continuous work and one from our accountant :arghh:to prove we really are a business and then we can send it all off. I looked at some of the members stats on this site, it looks like some have completed the TRA in less time.

We really need to submit the Visa application before the July changes, as I heard that an AQF qualification done offshore may stop being valid.

Guest thekelbos

I hope so. Just find it all very confusing! My DH trained on the job and has almost 15yrs experience as an engineer but isn't classed as one in Australia as he has no degree. It took us 12mths to figure out which assessment board he needed to go through, as we kept getting told different things. So decided to do it ourselves.

However now we know what we need to do it may be easier to employ a migration consultant and let them do the chasing. I just end up getting annoyed as everything seems to take so long, if somebody else is doing it I might relax a bit!

Guest hrimmer3011

Hi, we sent all our paperwork off to TRA in Australia mid January 2011, it did not get back to us till last week, took 8 weeks, we were also told 4 weeks turnaround but they are so busy at the moment with EVERYONE trying to get skills assessed and lodged etc etc before July 1st that they are very behind their normal processing times, so as a recent person that has applied to the TRA, their turnaround is anything really between 4 and 8 weeks and ours was simple!!

Guest thekelbos

hrimmer3011 what was your assessment for, i.e. job title? 4-8wks isn't so bad i suppose. We called to that expo in Manchester yesterday and was told 6-12mths!

We are doing this really as a back up. DH has been offered in principle a position with a company based in Perth but they need to sort out budgets but he's had numorous interviews and we saw them yesterday also and they apologised for the length of time and thanked us for being patient.

However we have decided not to wait around solely for them and get things moving ourselves if we can.

Guest wayniexagt

im looking into doing this right now ........ im a mechanic by trade but have landed a job driving tour buses but since im 100ks away from the main depot the boss wants me to maintain the vehicles at my end ..... its been a while since i was employed as a mechanic but im city and guilds trained . have all my certificates etc with me ( im already in oz ).. my boss said she has no probs sponsoring me on the rsms..... . will i have to sit a test to assess my compitency etc ??

cheers wayne

Getting mine together at the moment too (Telecoms Technician), luckily apprenticeship started my career so should be OK after July but before would be great. 8 weeks is pushing it to get the WA SS in and approved before then, but I'll try my hardest. Lots of Statutory Decs to do !!

Good luck all !

Guest hrimmer3011

Hi, OH is a Metal Machinist (First Class) had full apprenticeship etc and work referencces so it was straight forward just a back log at TRA at the moment!

Guest thekelbos

Thanks hrimmer3011, feel better now! It just seems that for all they are desperate to get you over the actual process is so long. Which I do appreciate as they don't want anybody coming over and not contributing but when you have all the required qualifications, work experience and references etc its a bit disheartening at time.

Plus when we all want this so bad you get impatient and frustrated, well I certainly do :twitcy: