register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest gail2010

has anyone had a baby/induced in aus??

Guest gail2010

Im due my baby in 5 weeks and just wondered how others got on?? What did you take with you to the hospital Im going to be in for a few days due to the fact I have gestational diabetes, I come from a small scottish area and had my 2 kids in a local midwife centre 8years ago which was so easy and relaxed, Im worried about being in a big hospital with lots of other people!!

Also as Im being induced will the pain be worse, any help would be great thanks!

Im due my baby in 5 weeks and just wondered how others got on?? What did you take with you to the hospital Im going to be in for a few days due to the fact I have gestational diabetes, I come from a small scottish area and had my 2 kids in a local midwife centre 8years ago which was so easy and relaxed, Im worried about being in a big hospital with lots of other people!!

Also as Im being induced will the pain be worse, any help would be great thanks!

Hi there:smile:..oh bless you!..you'll be fine..i can understand your concerns but i'm sure there is nothing to worry about..

we had our little lad in aus nearly 8 years ago in King Edwards..we had three teens at home, one who was 16 and twins who were 14, so there was a huge gap between them and our littlest, therefore it had been a while since we had experienced maternity units!..we went to a pregnancy workshop which the hospital had invited us to and this was really good for questions and meeting other folk..the hospital was fantastic and we were looked after very well..i had a section so had my own room which was quite luxurious!!..when i had my twins i went onto a ward with other mums straight away..if i had a choice i think i prefer this, as it's a bit of company and you tend to help each other out..i have never been induced so can't comment on that..all the best to you and let us know how it all goes..they tested me for gestational diabetes with my first 'cos he was a whopper at 10lb 4oz!!..turns out i just have big babies!!:shocked:..take care..terri x

Former Resident visa (subclass 151) granted in 1999 - Living back in Perth...

Terri :smile:

Now I'm a bloke so can't really comment on the pain but I'm sure there is no impact.

One of our kids was induced. The doctor just gave my wife an injection and it got the contractions started.

It just starts the process going but I don't believe it has any impact on the pain once it starts.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Dont believe what people tell you, I was induced with my first but not my second and there was no difference, people told me the pain is worse if you are induced but its not, you will be fine, I had my second out here and first in Scotland, the hospital in Brisbane was fantastic couldnt fault them with a single thing. You should ask your Midwife if you can do a tour of the hospital before hand that might make it less intimidating for you for when the time comes and if you speak to your midwife about your concerns they might be able to swing you a private room after delivery, hey if you dont ask you dont get haha.

Good luck :biggrin:

I was induced for my first son and it was fine. It was in the uk, but they broke my waters 1st which was painless, nothing happened so I had to have a persery. This was ok, not anywhere near as bad as a smear test. I had 2 further persaries and when nothing happened had to go on the drip. Up to this point it was all waiting around (about 24 hours in total). Once I was on the drip the contractions started and they were very similar to when I was in labour with my second. The only downside to the drip was not being able to move around as much as I'd like. It was fairly quick after that and definitely not anymore painful than 2nd time round.

A couple of my friends have been induced and then gone into labour themselves and they all agree there's not much difference. Just a bit more poking about to start with.

Good luck.

SA state sponsorship approved 18/11/10, 176 visa submitted 19/11/10, CO 15/2/11 VISA GRANTED 11/3/11:biglaugh:

Guest gail2010

oh thanks guys!! Its just not knowing what to expect!! I was only 4 hours in labour with each of my boys so would be great if it didnt drag on, I had no pain relief with either of them so didnt want to be suffering for 24hours think Id be jumping off a bridge short amount of pain I can cope with!! Im scared it will be a big baby, but my 1st 2 were 7lb 15 and 8lb 9 and according to Aussies thats big babies but in UK that is quite average!! The baby is average size at the moment but Im finding it hard to control my sweet tooth, I have lost weight since the start of the pregnancy as I havent put anything on since I got to Aus Ive lost weight on last 2 check ins, but think its because Ive been so busy unpacking Ive still been enjoying a pudding after tea! Im really missing wotsit crisps though I loved crisps in Uk but havent found anything to really enjoy here!

Oh we wanted to go to the tour and stuff but we have no-one to watch the kids and they hold them at 930 in the morning which again I couldnt get the kids to school and then get through the traffic, but since Im bein induced early it shouldnt be that Im walking in to the hosp shouting for a bed!!! Id rather go to the beach and have my baby hate people fussing round me, on my last birth it was just me my mum and 1 midwife the other midwife didnt make it in time as I was so quick!! My mum arrives the day before I go into hospital to look after the boys which will be a great help, starting to wonder if it was such a good idea wanting another baby now the birth is approaching!!! OK thats my moan done better do some housework!!

Guest gail2010

oh thanks guys!! Its just not knowing what to expect!! I was only 4 hours in labour with each of my boys so would be great if it didnt drag on, I had no pain relief with either of them so didnt want to be suffering for 24hours think Id be jumping off a bridge short amount of pain I can cope with!! Im scared it will be a big baby, but my 1st 2 were 7lb 15 and 8lb 9 and according to Aussies thats big babies but in UK that is quite average!! The baby is average size at the moment but Im finding it hard to control my sweet tooth, I have lost weight since the start of the pregnancy as I havent put anything on since I got to Aus Ive lost weight on last 2 check ins, but think its because Ive been so busy unpacking Ive still been enjoying a pudding after tea! Im really missing wotsit crisps though I loved crisps in Uk but havent found anything to really enjoy here!

Oh we wanted to go to the tour and stuff but we have no-one to watch the kids and they hold them at 930 in the morning which again I couldnt get the kids to school and then get through the traffic, but since Im bein induced early it shouldnt be that Im walking in to the hosp shouting for a bed!!! Id rather go to the beach and have my baby hate people fussing round me, on my last birth it was just me my mum and 1 midwife the other midwife didnt make it in time as I was so quick!! My mum arrives the day before I go into hospital to look after the boys which will be a great help, starting to wonder if it was such a good idea wanting another baby now the birth is approaching!!! OK thats my moan done better do some housework!!

Guest Hoot

Hi gail

oh don't worry! I'm sure you will be fine. You have done it twice before remember. :)

I had my baby here in Aus, but in Albany. The hospital is fairly small. I found all the midwives great and really lovely.

I don't think thats true about your previous babies been seen as big babies here in aus, mine was 9lb 3 oz and nothing out of the ordinary for the midwives.

Good luck but as its your 3rd you won't need it. Your body will know what to do

Hi

I've got 4 boys and was induced with the second. The pain was no different to the rest, it was fine. Out of the 4 births my third was the easiest and the best, he was only slightly heavier than the second. I enjoyed the third experience so much that I knew within the first week of him being born that we would have a fourth!. My third son was such a brilliant baby and he slept really well and I took it all in my stride!

Good luck

Arlene

Guest gail2010
Hi

I've got 4 boys and was induced with the second. The pain was no different to the rest, it was fine. Out of the 4 births my third was the easiest and the best, he was only slightly heavier than the second. I enjoyed the third experience so much that I knew within the first week of him being born that we would have a fourth!. My third son was such a brilliant baby and he slept really well and I took it all in my stride!

Good luck

Arlene

Ohh Im starting to freak out about the pain!! Ive done it twice without pain relief but I was younger then!! Eeekkk ohhh I defo want a 4th!! The best bit is we dont know what we are having so I think that gives you the willpower to keep going!!! I just dont know what to expect with being induced and how long they will leave me after starting me off!!! Ohhh its all too real!! And my folks only arrive the day before so we cant really show them round or anything before we go in!!