APHRA advice on applying for nursing registration!!!

Guest hannahelizabeth

Guest hannahelizabeth

Hi after having A bad experience with APHRA, just wanted to warn anyone applying so you dont have to have a stressful time waiting for your registration!. Most important bit of advice is to send your application to WA perth office. When I applied, i sent it to melbourne VIC as it says on the form but after them having it for 3 months and not so much as looking at it and I was getting desperate for work over here I investigated and got told to transfer it to perth. They are much more efficient and have processed my application within 8 weeks!! YAY at last:biggrin: The staff here actually email you back in perth rather than ignoring you!! Make your life easy and send it to perth!! (although now everyone will send it there it will take longer!! haha)

Hi after having A bad experience with APHRA, just wanted to warn anyone applying so you dont have to have a stressful time waiting for your registration!. Most important bit of advice is to send your application to WA perth office. When I applied, i sent it to melbourne VIC as it says on the form but after them having it for 3 months and not so much as looking at it and I was getting desperate for work over here I investigated and got told to transfer it to perth. They are much more efficient and have processed my application within 8 weeks!! YAY at last:biggrin: The staff here actually email you back in perth rather than ignoring you!! Make your life easy and send it to perth!! (although now everyone will send it there it will take longer!! haha)

I too sent my application to Perth as that is where I want to work and I agree they are efficient, sent forms on 7th Feb, they emailed me on 21st Feb to say they received forms and were processing application. Had a registration officer by March 2nd and she emailed me then to say I needed to send in a few more docs to continue application. Also they took the money out quick too 21st Feb

WA were the only state that didnt join in with the AHPRA when all the state boards amalgamated last year, they probably thought 'lets hold on, get our shop in order, then join the national board' looks like it has worked, well done WA :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

hello i am new to PIO so hope i have put this in the right place!!! i am just about to send my documents off to AHPRA i got them signed today but where should i post them to????? i am not sure where i will be working yet so it is either the PERTH or BRISBANE office??? which office is the most efficient?... and likely to register me rather than send me a letter of eligibility which has happened to some of u i have read!.... any advise much appreciated. Thank u in advance for any replies :)

hello i am new to PIO so hope i have put this in the right place!!! i am just about to send my documents off to AHPRA i got them signed today but where should i post them to????? i am not sure where i will be working yet so it is either the PERTH or BRISBANE office??? which office is the most efficient?... and likely to register me rather than send me a letter of eligibility which has happened to some of u i have read!.... any advise much appreciated. Thank u in advance for any replies :)

Hi Jo, where are you at this time ? In Oz or UK ?, If you are in UK why would you want to be registered and paying for it when you're not actually working ? I have read previous posts were people who are going through the visa process are having problems with the letter regarding 'eligible for registration' other than that why would you want to be registered and paying ? I can only speak from my OH's experience dealing with the Perth office who were very efficient, if I were you i'd send it there....................

• 11 months later...
Hi Jo, where are you at this time ? In Oz or UK ?, If you are in UK why would you want to be registered and paying for it when you're not actually working ? I have read previous posts were people who are going through the visa process are having problems with the letter regarding 'eligible for registration' other than that why would you want to be registered and paying ? I can only speak from my OH's experience dealing with the Perth office who were very efficient, if I were you i'd send it there....................

Hi all,

I'm a little confused now, OH is a nurse and we want to move to Melbourne, can we still sent registration to APHRA to Perth then and I thought that we had to have registration first before applying for visa...we hope to go out on a 457 visa - is this the case. Sorry for the questions, OH is hopeless at paperwork so I volunteered to do it....wish I knew what I was getting myself into :-)

Last question - we have got a letter from OH's school to confirm that he was educated through English but on the APHRA reg form, Q27 asked whice language exams has he completed i.e. IELTS or OETs - thought that if we had the letter from the School then we didn't need this - so how do I respond to this question??

Any advice much appreciated?

Question 26 addresses the English speaking requirements for those who do not need to complete IELTS if they meet other requirements. These include:

Passport holder from the specified countries on the form. Educated for a minimum of 5 years and assessed in English for secondary/tertiary/vocational education.

If you are able to satisfy that requirement you go to section G, by-passing questions 27 and 28. If not you go to question 27 and put in IELTS or other result. :)

Hi all,

I'm a little confused now, OH is a nurse and we want to move to Melbourne, can we still sent registration to APHRA to Perth then and I thought that we had to have registration first before applying for visa...we hope to go out on a 457 visa - is this the case. Sorry for the questions, OH is hopeless at paperwork so I volunteered to do it....wish I knew what I was getting myself into :-)

Last question - we have got a letter from OH's school to confirm that he was educated through English but on the APHRA reg form, Q27 asked whice language exams has he completed i.e. IELTS or OETs - thought that if we had the letter from the School then we didn't need this - so how do I respond to this question??

Any advice much appreciated?

A number of nurses on here have had their registration come through in less that 6 weeks using the Darwin and Adelaide offices. You can use any office. It doesn't matter where you want to work. :)

Sponsorship visas will need registration up front because the employer will only sponsor a nurse who meets oz requirements.

General skilled migration visas will need an ANMAC skills assessment/IELTS +or- APHRA registration if the nurse is using nursing as the skill for migration purposes.

If the nurse is on an OH visa she can wait and register out there. :)

I sent my application to Perth in August and im still waiting on my eligibility letter. To be honest I've not found their communication that great. I suppose its maybe just down who picks up your case. To have gained your registration within 8 weeks is great though, well done :smile:

Sponsorship visas will need registration up front because the employer will only sponsor a nurse who meets oz requirements.

General skilled migration visas will need an ANMAC skills assessment/IELTS +or- APHRA registration if the nurse is using nursing as the skill for migration purposes.

If the nurse is on an OH visa she can wait and register out there. :)

Thanks a mil GilraenH - great advice, I did think that OH needed registration first so am going to crack on with that...its such a relief to know that he doesn't have to IELTS so will bypass those questions. Think I will take your advice and give either the Darwin or Adelaide offices a try as I want to get through this as quickly as possible.:biglaugh:

Thanks again

StrawberryBlonde

• 2 months later...
Guest Amritpal

Hi everyone I am very desperate to know about 457 visa. I don't know where to start ? Do we need letter from APHRA first then we need assessment letter from Aus nursing council then find sponsor then visa. Is this the process? Because I really don't know Please anyone can help me pleaseAnd also i want to know that i did my nursing from india so do i need adaptation course to do in aus for 3 months? And without adaptation can i find sponsor? Thanks a lotAmrit

Edited by Amritpal

Hi everyone I am very desperate to know about 457 visa. I don't know where to start ? Do we need letter from APHRA first then we need assessment letter from Aus nursing council then find sponsor then visa. Is this the process? Because I really don't know Please anyone can help me pleaseAnd also i want to know that i did my nursing from india so do i need adaptation course to do in aus for 3 months? And without adaptation can i find sponsor? Thanks a lotAmrit

I can answer some of your questions. If you are thinking of going to Australia on a 457 you will need to obtain your AHPRA registration first. You may also need to take an IELTS test for your AHPRA depending on where your secondary and tertiary education were undertaken. If this was done in India the you will need to do it.

If you click on this link it will take you to page where you can download your application form AGOS 40 and there are also further links to additional information - http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-and-Endorsement/Forms.aspx

I do not know if you would have to do an adaptation course - try reading through the notes, in link above. It is difficult to find a sponsor until you have your AHPRA, in my experience, although I know that others have managed it.

Good luck :smile:

Guest Amritpal

Thanks a lot Val for ur replying. Yes I have checked and I do need adaptation. My registration program is different. First I have to send my all documents to APHRA then they will assess and give me letter of that assessment. And then I have to take find out any institute or hospital that where I can do my adaptation for 3 months and after completing my adaptation I will get licence to work as a nurse in Aus. But now my question is that any employer can give me sponsorship on the basis of APHRA letter and let me do adaptation in their hospital? I mean am I eligible to apply 457 visa without adaptation or not ?Thanks once again

Thanks a lot Val for ur replying. Yes I have checked and I do need adaptation. My registration program is different. First I have to send my all documents to APHRA then they will assess and give me letter of that assessment. And then I have to take find out any institute or hospital that where I can do my adaptation for 3 months and after completing my adaptation I will get licence to work as a nurse in Aus. But now my question is that any employer can give me sponsorship on the basis of APHRA letter and let me do adaptation in their hospital? I mean am I eligible to apply 457 visa without adaptation or not ?Thanks once again

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/medical-practitioners/visa-options-nurses.htm

Improving your skills

Nurses who do not have the qualifications to work as a nurse in Australia can do a bridging program to improve their skills. There are some temporary visa options available for you to do this.

Occupational Trainee visa

For nurses to undertake a supervised, workplace-based training program in Australia. This option is good for training programs of three months or longer.

Business (Short Stay) visa (subclass 456)

Ideal for nurses to undertake an approved bridging or pre-registration program for less than three months. Nurses who successfully complete the course may be able to apply in Australia for a Business Long Stay visa.

You will need to discuss with a MARA agent I think as this is not a simple application Amritpal. Good luck! :biggrin:

Guest Amritpal

Thanks Gilrean

Have u got any MARA agent contact number? And how long one can get occupational trainee visa and 456? They give only for 3 months or more?

Thanks once again

Guest vicky2011

Hi Guys

Advice...if I were thinking about contacting hospitals directly I figured that if I have registration from AHPRA in place this would be my first best bet?! Then if there was any posts could sort out visa from there..? I've completed IELTS although I'm not sure I needed it as you can get statement from school I believe. The application to AHPRA seems like a first big hurdle just getting all the information together.

Also I have recently changed jobs..when it asks for last five years will I need to go back to previous employer as I wa with them three and half years and only with new employer since beginning of year?:yes:

I can only tell you my experience but I registered on NSW government website and boy was there a lot of jobs coming every day! Queensland you have to fill in an EOI on their website and then are contacted by the nursing manager to discuss but in fairness by the time they had done this I had secured the current job :) I applied for the first job i really liked the sound of and worked very hard at the job application. I got an interview 3 weeks ago and offered the job and they have started the 457 process which this week I will start . pm if you want the list of documents i sent for my ahpra it took 4 weeks at the adelaide ahpra from my end.. hope this is helpful!

I can only tell you my experience but I registered on NSW government website and boy was there a lot of jobs coming every day! Queensland you have to fill in an EOI on their website and then are contacted by the nursing manager to discuss but in fairness by the time they had done this I had secured the current job :) I applied for the first job i really liked the sound of and worked very hard at the job application. I got an interview 3 weeks ago and offered the job and they have started the 457 process which this week I will start . pm if you want the list of documents i sent for my ahpra it took 4 weeks at the adelaide ahpra from my end.. hope this is helpful!

How long after you had submitted the application to NSW Health website (ie after closing date) were you contacted? If you don't mind me asking?

Guest vicky2011

Hi

Wow your post gives me great optimism! Although I appreciate everyone has a different story!!:biggrin:

I could almost start getting the whole registration bits together and working on that but also show EOI on the website..? I am hoping to scure work and get sponsorship for visa that way..would you think that seems an ok way to go about things?

How long after you had submitted the application to NSW Health website (ie after closing date) were you contacted? If you don't mind me asking?

I submitted the job application on the 10th may as closing date was the 13th may and I couldnt work out when that was in my time zone if you know what I mean! I really did a good appliucation have never put so much effort into anything! anyway got an e-mail on the 22nd may asking me to interview by phone on the 24th. about half hour later they called to check the number was right and then 3.30am on the 24th had interview.. my boss e-mailed me on the 25th to say i was the preferred candidate and she sent ref back on the 30th ( my other ref had sent hers back on same day she recieved it) and I got several e-mails requesting i complete documents like crb checks etc and then 7th june the e-mail saying they had lodged the 457 application etc.. i read the jd and it wasnt the job i agreed so e-mailed her back that day and it was all sorted by the 8th.. I am still in a spin really!

Hi

Wow your post gives me great optimism! Although I appreciate everyone has a different story!!:biggrin:

I could almost start getting the whole registration bits together and working on that but also show EOI on the website..? I am hoping to scure work and get sponsorship for visa that way..would you think that seems an ok way to go about things?

for queensland you cannot complete the EOI without ahpra. on NSW you can apply for jobs whether you have ahpra or not . I gathered everything for ahpra and when that was completed i gave myself a couple of weeks off then threw myself into the job hunt. I was wafflin g to start with I would go anywhere in Oz then realised I was being silly i wouldnt do that in Uk so focused on NSW as I have one friend there ( not near the job tho!) and queensland. Just happened that NSW came up trumps x

Edited by Delaneym

I submitted the job application on the 10th may as closing date was the 13th may and I couldnt work out when that was in my time zone if you know what I mean! I really did a good appliucation have never put so much effort into anything! anyway got an e-mail on the 22nd may asking me to interview by phone on the 24th. about half hour later they called to check the number was right and then 3.30am on the 24th had interview.. my boss e-mailed me on the 25th to say i was the preferred candidate and she sent ref back on the 30th ( my other ref had sent hers back on same day she recieved it) and I got several e-mails requesting i complete documents like crb checks etc and then 7th june the e-mail saying they had lodged the 457 application etc.. i read the jd and it wasnt the job i agreed so e-mailed her back that day and it was all sorted by the 8th.. I am still in a spin really!

Thank you! I have applied for a post, closing date was on the 3rd but hadn't heard anything yet. I won't worry about it then. Thanks!!! :biggrin: