Miserable and bored

Guest davethebear

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True but him saying he can't have a meaningful conversation with any of the (thousands of) aussies he comes into contact and that it must be their fault is unfair too I think.

lol, i do find that one hard to understand! Not everyone is the same, Pretty boring if they were :wacko:

Must admit it seems ludicrous and stupid to imply that all Australians are unable to hold a meaningful conversation.

I have to say I agree with this...but maybe Sydney is just not the place for you? (Im heading to Melbourne myself as I think it will fit our lifestyle etc)

davethebear, what made you move from victoria to sydney out of interest?

When I was in perth, I found myself quite bored after 2 weeks, but I think that was just perth really. However, not all aussies I spoke to, didnt come across as the way some people have said here but this was my experience.

Besides, sometimes my mates and I hate small talk - my mate the other day mentioned how she spent the whole time in tescos trying to avoid her old school mate so she didnt have to engage in the typical small talk, only to bump into her right at the end lol (has anyone here ever done that??! :yes:)

Might be rubbish to you, but it's personal experience to me.

And are you telling me that you never make generalisations about different nationalities?

Given over 8 million people (44%) of the population, were either born overseas or their parents were born overseas, then even factoring in the gross generalization that Australians aren't good conversationists, surely, there are enough people in the country from lineage more of your liking, with whom you can converse?

Well the last time I went to Oz I met the most intellectually stimulating, well travelled and culturally aware person Ive ever met and he was an Aussie. However, in the UK when I stand in that playground waiting to collect my kids I have the dullest conversations known to man.

Did you happen to meet my husband then? :biglaugh: Seriously, hubby can converse on levels I cannot even begin to comprehend. And is very aware of overseas politics, events and more. As are many of his friends and family.

And yes, I feel the same often when standing waiting to collect my son :dull: But then I think that's a Mum thing not a person thing. I don't want to only talk about kids but its hard to get away from the subject in the playground :|

And to the OP - I'm almost offended that the Aussies in general seem to have been tarred with a very big brush. Its a broad generalisation and those never really help any. Its your opinion and while some may share it, I don't. Sure I may have met a boring Aussie on occasion. But one persons boring is another's interesting. Bit like trainspotting :cute: Doesn't mean they are all boring just because a few I've met I haven't had much in common with or clicked with enough to really want to persue the convo.

Good luck on your return anyways. May you find a conversation worth pursuing :)

Guest guest37336
Did you happen to meet my husband then? :biglaugh: Seriously, hubby can converse on levels I cannot even begin to comprehend. And is very aware of overseas politics, events and more. As are many of his friends and family.

And yes, I feel the same often when standing waiting to collect my son :dull: But then I think that's a Mum thing not a person thing. I don't want to only talk about kids but its hard to get away from the subject in the playground :|

And to the OP - I'm almost offended that the Aussies in general seem to have been tarred with a very big brush. Its a broad generalisation and those never really help any. Its your opinion and while some may share it, I don't. Sure I may have met a boring Aussie on occasion. But one persons boring is another's interesting. Bit like trainspotting :cute: Doesn't mean they are all boring just because a few I've met I haven't had much in common with or clicked with enough to really want to persue the convo.

Good luck on your return anyways. May you find a conversation worth pursuing :)

Hi Snifter.

I may not be a train spotter, but have my moments with aircraft.

Anorak, binoculars, flask, cheese sandwiches, tartan blanket, and you may see me in the summer around Hatton Cross station.

OK, so no interest in the aircraft, but the ladies gym over the road from the airport has 'satisfied' me no end. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Cheers Tony.:wubclub:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Guys i have tided this thread up to give it a chance and removed quite a few posts. Please refrain from making personal comments about other members and try to stay on track.

Cal x

I don't know why you bothered wasting your precious time Cal, you should have canned it. lol:yes:

Guest guest36762
Given over 8 million people (44%) of the population, were either born overseas or their parents were born overseas, then even factoring in the gross generalization that Australians aren't good conversationists, surely, there are enough people in the country from lineage more of your liking, with whom you can converse?

Have you ever tried to make conversation with an 85 year old Croatian?

Guest Guest37175
You are clutching at straws quoting her. She has a deep personal hatred for Australia & only has a job because she spouts ill informed rubbish.

Clutching at straws, not sure how?!. GG dishes it out to the UK just as much as she ever has done with Oz, possibly more so as she seems to have spent most of her life there.

As I said, I know her views are not always to everyone's liking, but as a journalist and a writer in both countries she's well qualified to comment on their respective media.

Guest Guest37175
I don't know why you bothered wasting your precious time Cal, you should have canned it. lol:yes:

I reckon we should get rid of MBTTUK altogether.......:wink:

Guest Guest37175

Hang on, is Harpo a NAZI now as well?. Must get him a Luger and Lime when I see him next.

I'll get me coat!

Guest guest36762
Hang on, is Harpo a NAZI now as well?. Must get him a Luger and Lime when I see him next.

I'll get me coat!

Don't mate, stick around.

However the Nazi thing has all been cleared up and we ended up being nice last night

Heil Harpo!

The last few posts have been way off topic (Please refer to http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/109992-miserable-bored.html#post1027820 for a reminder of the original post) and moderators have already spent a fair amount of time removing off topic posts. Please feel free to start a new thread in CTF for any Third Reich discussions who may want to have, but keep it off this thread and return to the original topic.

Thanks

Guest guest36762
The last few posts have been way off topic (Please refer to http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/moving-back-uk/109992-miserable-bored.html#post1027820 for a reminder of the original post) and moderators have already spent a fair amount of time removing off topic posts. Please feel free to start a new thread in CTF for any Third Reich discussions who may want to have, but keep it off this thread and return to the original topic.

Thanks

Okey-dokey!

I've been 'thinking' further about this topic....here's some ramblings:

Again, in my own personal experience, I've found Aussie women much easier to talk to than the men, and funnily enough the fitter and sexier they are, they more interesting the convo...

No, seriously, I DO find Aussie women easier to talk to than men.

This may be because they don't bang on about AFL/NRL (delete as appropriate) or fishing or surfing or utes or V8s all the time, and to me they just seem more socially developed than Aussie blokes.

Of course I've met funny interesting Aussie blokes (have I? makes my post seem more credible if I have....) but...

If, however, the topic of discussion is on common ground...like how crap the Aussie cricket team is, or beer, or women (:yes:) then the convo is great.

Maybe it's just because i'm a repressed stuck-up pom with a massive oedipus complex...

Guest guest36762
I didn't really think we were going off topic too far.

The post was a little racist under the covers, thats how we got to Nazi germany.

Anyway the OP lost interest pretty quickly so we should let it die.

NO!!!

Guest davethebear
Dave, I think you're about to encounter a significant amount of social intercourse on this forum as a result of that post, and sadly, not much of it's going to be pretty.

I do sympathise with the feelings of disconnectedness you're going through. You're not alone mate. :sad:

Ta, Ozsceptic......

I wasn't planning on getting into WW3 with what I originally wrote, but I fully appreciate that some people out there would take some offence, that's natural. The sentence that sums it up is the last one that you wrote, which said, 'You're not alone mate.'................

The main reason for writing was to assure others from the UK that what they were feeling was the same as some others in this country. I wasn't directing what I said at the entire nation, that would be ridiculous, but on a day to day basis, out and about, this I believe to be the case.

At the end of the day, I am sure that it is just down to cultural differences. I understand that we should not expect things to be the same as back home, what would be the point of that? But I have been very surprised over the last few years about something I thought I would never have to take into consideration, but I know that I am not alone with the way that I feel.

But saying that, I am glad that people responded to what I wrote yesterday. I just wished that people would have a similar kind of response when out and about on a daily basis.

So I am sorry if I upset people.......

Guest Guest16631

Hi pleased to see you back, did turn into the usual oz verse uk thing but mostly it was an interesting debate,I guess you just hav'nt met the right people yet............... best of luck to you ............please keep trying , as you have seen there are some like minded people here..............just need to find yours:smile:

Guest Guest37175
Ta, Ozsceptic......

I wasn't planning on getting into WW3 with what I originally wrote, but I fully appreciate that some people out there would take some offence, that's natural. The sentence that sums it up is the last one that you wrote, which said, 'You're not alone mate.'................

The main reason for writing was to assure others from the UK that what they were feeling was the same as some others in this country. I wasn't directing what I said at the entire nation, that would be ridiculous, but on a day to day basis, out and about, this I believe to be the case.

At the end of the day, I am sure that it is just down to cultural differences. I understand that we should not expect things to be the same as back home, what would be the point of that? But I have been very surprised over the last few years about something I thought I would never have to take into consideration, but I know that I am not alone with the way that I feel.

But saying that, I am glad that people responded to what I wrote yesterday. I just wished that people would have a similar kind of response when out and about on a daily basis.

So I am sorry if I upset people.......

You're welcome mate. Although there's a lot of knockabout stuff on these forums, there is the scope I believe to have a bit of a vent at how things are going for you. It's a cathartic release if you like. It's been a god-send to me in the past to be able to off-load about my troubles in Oz so I'd encourage anyone to do the same. As you say, it's good to know that there are some supportive posters around who are experiencing similar, so don't be put off.

All the best with it.

Archived