Miserable and bored

Guest davethebear

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest59652

gone crazy - i agree with you. a lot of people are scared to admit it and want to portray how amazing it is here. gone crazy i think you make good points and it takes considerable courage to say things on here. there is so much the sun shines out of australias behind sometimes

Such a shame some people have not enjoyed they're time in oz. But why the harsh summations, "they can keep their Afl etc"?? I presume the acerbic tone is there to make the point, or maybe people just feel quite angry. In any case it would be more useful to make a less generalised statement and give people who are considering leaving Australia a more considered review of your time there. All those sweeping generalisations are so unhelpful to people, like the original poster who are having a tough time settling in, it only compounds the negative feelings towards the place and makes everyone else defensive.

The original poster is back in the UK I think. But other people in the same boat might be reading the posts here, its a pity people have used this thread as UK versus OZ sparring ground. There's good and bad in both countries and people have every right to feel let down if they haven't had a good experience there, but such exaggerated posts throughout thread are not objective or helpful.

When people are, like the first poster feeling 'miserable and bored', it seems to me they need some positive feedback and that is the great thing about the poms in oz forum, people are friendly and supportive and give constructive advice. Everyone has a different perspective and I totally respect the fact that some people do not have the 'land of milk and honey' experience but ease up on Aussie bashing.

For anyone who does want some useful responses there were some useful, considered responses at the beginning of the thread.

Guest smorgs

Your right, it depends what you want though. If your after an educated convo about politics-no chance, I mean look at the person running this country.how did she become PM over night? No one even said aword about it just we all sat back and accepted someone we didnt vote for was now PM.-ask ur aussie friends its so funny cause we have to vote by law but no one has a clue about it.

If you want to talk or more like hear about how good the aussies are at sport then your in the right place. Not once have I heard Ricky Pontin or another sports captain say 'we were beaten by a better side'its always how australia had a bad day etc....

Ive given up on conversation with them now after 6yrs down the pub-I just switch off and nod my head and smile and they will talk at you all night fair dinkum

haha.

For some reason posts on MBTTUK can become very personal and offensive. Whatever your view on Australia or the UK implying that others would feel better if only they viewed life in the same way as you, is not helpful. Sweeping generalisations can and should be challenged (and there’s a few ripe for challenging on this thread) but it doesn’t have to be done in a way that belittles others or makes fun of them.

The OP states, “the only easy way that I can describe how I feel is BORED, MISERABLE and SOULLESS, to the extent of utter depression. I have tried to get to grips with the Aussie way, but I really feel that it is not for me anymore”. …….and ends with “I just wanted to say how I was feeling and to let other people know that they are not alone if they feel the same way as what I do.”

Perhaps when you feel this low it is difficult to take an objective or balanced view of the world around you and maybe it not too much to hope that others on MBTTUK will cut you a bit of slack.

Guest Guest 47403
How the hell would 'adequate health insurance' cover a serious operation that Australia doesn't perform. Is it because they are too stupid or light years behind? probably. The health system in the UK is brilliant, all be it you may have to go private. But after spending 12 months paying Aussie educated, boe-tie wearing, braindead idiots who call themsleves professional it is refreshing to come back to a place that offers a level of treatment simply not available in Oz because it is inadequate

And as for your comment of me wanting to rip into Australia I'm just big enough to admit it wasn't for me. I'm just giving my honest account of my experience.

As for doing homework you can do all you like, sometimes you just don't like people or a place. Nobody can prepare you for how frustrating it is trying to get on in a country the only thing they are doing fast is going backwards.

My comments are to give people a REAL view of how things are. I have meet people that have posted on here how fantastic their 'new life' down under was. I didn't think so when I seen them. Because knowing them from UK they had:

a)better paid jobs in UK

b)better house in UK

c)better standard of living overall in UK.

So I found their comments trying to justify their new life as Australia hadn't given them a better life, but they didn't want to admit it. I have no shame in admitting I prefer UK over Oz, just how I feel based on experience.

Can you be more specific about what surgery is available in the UK but not in Australia as I'm a little skeptical about that unless it is some form of ground breaking surgery, you'll find some fairly unique types of surgery are not available in the UK but available in the USA for instance. However I'm pretty sure your standard surgery is available in most 1st world countries.

Not reading all the posts, but I do get a common feeling that when people get homesick in a foreign country they look for and sometimes make up reasons why they need to go home, why can't they just be honest and say this place is not for me, I prefer blighty, but to make broad sweeping statements that Ozzies can't string a sentence together and such like just makes you sound really stupid, if you don't like the chosen country you're in, simple , go home, but don't make yourself look foolish in the process.

Spot on, why not just admit you don't like Oz when you are going on instead of excuses.

we all sat back and accepted someone we didnt vote for was now PM.

Australians NEVER vote for the PM: they vote for the party they prefer and the party chooses the leader. Anyone who thinks they are voting for the PM doesn't understand the Australian political system

Australians NEVER vote for the PM: they vote for the party they prefer and the party chooses the leader. Anyone who thinks they are voting for the PM doesn't understand the Australian political system

that's a good job then, considering the current options....

this....

father_abbott.jpg

or this.....

julia-gillard-doll.jpg

Guest Breelandien

Exactly the same as the UK then :P

that's a good job then, considering the current options....

this....

father_abbott.jpg

or this.....

julia-gillard-doll.jpg

Just a sad reflection on the people we DO vote for! :arghh:

Of course they both could be replaced before the next election....and we could hope for a miracle :wideeyed:

Your right, it depends what you want though. If your after an educated convo about politics-no chance, I mean look at the person running this country.how did she become PM over night? No one even said aword about it just we all sat back and accepted someone we didnt vote for was now PM.-ask ur aussie friends its so funny cause we have to vote by law but no one has a clue about it.

If you want to talk or more like hear about how good the aussies are at sport then your in the right place. Not once have I heard Ricky Pontin or another sports captain say 'we were beaten by a better side'its always how australia had a bad day etc....

Ive given up on conversation with them now after 6yrs down the pub-I just switch off and nod my head and smile and they will talk at you all night fair dinkum

haha.

I was going to ask why you are still going down the pub after six years but then I had an image of a bloke standing in the corner, nodding his head, smiling and occasionally saying 'fair dinkum'. You sound like you have (successfully too) 'gone native'!

'Who is that bloke who is always smiling?' 'Him? Oh he's our pet Pom! Nice bloke but he never says anything.'

Guest peacock
I was going to ask why you are still going down the pub after six years but then I had an image of a bloke standing in the corner, nodding his head, smiling and occasionally saying 'fair dinkum'. You sound like you have (successfully too) 'gone native'!

'Who is that bloke who is always smiling?' 'Him? Oh he's our pet Pom! Nice bloke but he never says anything.'

Brilliant :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest smorgs

Hi no my post was saying that I agree with the original about talking to people. Im not looking for excuses for anything i will be living here for the forseeable future anyway.

P.S- if you see a guy in the pub, in an England shirt nodding his head wearing a hat with corks dangling off it, come and say hi.

Hi no my post was saying that I agree with the original about talking to people. Im not looking for excuses for anything i will be living here for the forseeable future anyway.

P.S- if you see a guy in the pub, in an England shirt nodding his head wearing a hat with corks dangling off it, come and say hi.

I'm going down to the Royal Exhibition Hotel in a minute to see if the barmaids approve of my clean-shaven transformation.

Keep thinking about the joke in Private Eye showing the Aussie going into his AA meeting with a million corks dangling from his hat.

Mate, I'm an Aussie who loves talking politics...if I saw you propping up the bar in an england strip with a cork hat I wouldn't assume politics would be on the agenda :wink: Maybe it's time you changed the people you associate with as there are plenty of australians sensibly, and not so sensibly, discussing politics and life every day. You only have to look at some australian online forums too see the vigorous debates. Good luck.

Mate, I'm an Aussie who loves talking politics...if I saw you propping up the bar in an england strip with a cork hat I wouldn't assume politics would be on the agenda :wink: Maybe it's time you changed the people you association with as there are plenty of australians sensibly, and not so sensibly, discussing politics and life every day. You only have to look at some australian online forums too see the vigorous debates. Good luck.

Might be safer discussing it with him than Angry Anderson?

Archived