School Fees - What are they?

gaz n family

I have seen on here various times and also read on school websites. But i cannot seem to find exactly what these fees are.

Does anyone know or can comment roughly per term how much these school fees are (for non private schools) and does it vary greatly by school/area?

Does this fee include uniform also. I was assuming we would have to purchase the uniform intitially then use the school uniform shop to replace lost/stolen, damaged items as and when.

If it helps, we are heading to South Aus

I am sure someone already in Australia will get back to you with more exact info but from my limited research fees vary dramatically. In the UK we are used to schools being either all government or all private, this in not the case in Australia. In Oz there is a vast difference in fees from a few hundred dollars a year up to $20,000 per year for a top performing fully private school. We have been looking at WA so not sure about SA but the schools charging roughly $3000 (ish) a year or less tend to be Faith Schools and the fully independant ones are much more expensive.

As for the uniform issue none of the schools I have looked at included uniform in the fees, they all had to be bought on top of. If you know the area you are moving to this website will list all the schools in the area, if you then look at the school websites they are likely to list their fees and uniform costs.

My School Home | ACARA

Congratulatons on the visa and good luck with the move.

PS are you the family with the dilema of who sits in UC? If so please tell us what you decided, it has prompted a gret discussion in our house.:wink:

I have seen on here various times and also read on school websites. But i cannot seem to find exactly what these fees are.

Does anyone know or can comment roughly per term how much these school fees are (for non private schools) and does it vary greatly by school/area?

Does this fee include uniform also. I was assuming we would have to purchase the uniform intitially then use the school uniform shop to replace lost/stolen, damaged items as and when.

You do not have to pay 'fees' as such for public schools. Every school will request that you pay 'Contributory Fees' but these are not compulsary. If I remember correctly my niece's primary school in Sydney charges $115 per year for their 'building fund' and $75 per year for 'Contributory fees'. Both of these are voluntary payments (that most people pay as you want to help look after their kid's school).

Uniforms are not included in the fees (for both public & private). Expect to pay roughly $25 per shirt, $30 per skirt/shorts/skorts etc, $40 for jumpers, $50 for dresses and the same for trousers. You'll also have to buy a sports uniform and hat (hats are compulsary). All of these things will have the logo on them. Expect to spend about $400 kitting your little monkey out. Some schools allow you to buy your uniform anywhere you like as long as you buy their 'colours' and the correct pattern on dresses etc. There is a shop called Lowes that sells uniforms etc They have pretty much every uniform colour/pattern you can imagine. :yes:

Every aussie school has a uniform shop, and every uniform shop has a 'seconds' section. Most of these items will still be in good condition and are a good option if money is tight.

Expect to pay upwards of $4500 per year for private schools, another $500 on uniforms and also expect fierce competition for entry into the school.

One thing I would say is that Aussie schools are the same as schools in every other country. Another day, another note in the school bag asking for money for this or that!! :laugh:

Guest MADTOM

Hi

I don't understand what you mean about school fees. In SA you don't pay school fees as such (only ACT and NSW If not PR) what you do pay is a term fee of around $160 (I think) for books & equipment. This is voluntary I believe.

As the others have said, most state schools will ask for a voluntary contribution which could be $80 - 100 per term. Whilst technically they are voluntary, unless you are seriously strapped for cash there is sort of a moral obligation if your kid is going to use all the things that the school provides - like loo roll, tissues, band aids, other consumables etc. In addition there will be requests for additional money for excursions, visiting teachers, performances, swimming lessons, consumables for some courses in HS etc etc. You will also have to fork out for a book pack each year. Private school fees start around $3k pa (systemic Catholic) and head north to upwards of $20k pa (anything with "grammar" in the title)

As the others have said, most state schools will ask for a voluntary contribution which could be $80 - 100 per term. Whilst technically they are voluntary, unless you are seriously strapped for cash there is sort of a moral obligation if your kid is going to use all the things that the school provides - like loo roll, tissues, band aids, other consumables etc. In addition there will be requests for additional money for excursions, visiting teachers, performances, swimming lessons, consumables for some courses in HS etc etc. You will also have to fork out for a book pack each year. Private school fees start around $3k pa (systemic Catholic) and head north to upwards of $20k pa (anything with "grammar" in the title)

:laugh: so true re 'grammar' in the title... $25K if it comes with a straw hat!

Fully Private anywhere from about $8000-$30,000 Per year

Catholic $2000-$5000 per year

State Schools as stated above it is voluntary, but some suppport for the school would be expected if you are not straped for cash.

Uniform and books cost varying amount depending on the cariculum of the school, but my daughter goes to a fully private school year 7 this year, costing $12000.00 per year, uniform and books for the whole year have cost $1800.00, of course uniform will do more then one year!

Hope that helps.

Congratulatons on the visa and good luck with the move.

PS are you the family with the dilema of who sits in UC? If so please tell us what you decided, it has prompted a gret discussion in our house.:wink:

Thanks

And yes, we STILL have not decided what to do. I know what i want to do, and it seems my opinion matches everyone else in the thread, but the Wife is feeling VERY guilty about it and cannot decide. I think much of it is once the plane is booked then its all go and she is frightened to make that initial decission. :wacko:

To get 4 in UC would cost 6K so £2.5K more but i am sure i can spend that elsewhere when we get there. If the pice for 4 econ were not more expensive there wouldnt be an issue.........

Every school site i seem to look at list a page on fees and how to pay them. But of the ones i have looked at (except the private ones) none of them actually list the cost. All of them are in the south Adelaide area, i knew education is "free" to PR in SA, so this is why i asked the question.

Thanks

And yes, we STILL have not decided what to do. I know what i want to do, and it seems my opinion matches everyone else in the thread, but the Wife is feeling VERY guilty about it and cannot decide. I think much of it is once the plane is booked then its all go and she is frightened to make that initial decission. :wacko:

To get 4 in UC would cost 6K so £2.5K more but i am sure i can spend that elsewhere when we get there. If the pice for 4 econ were not more expensive there wouldnt be an issue.........

Swap around at the refuelling stop. One adult one kid in each section, then change over mid way - equality!!!

The payment of the nominal fees for state schools is entirely voluntary. So is the wearing of uniforms, but most parents comply with both.

Guest wesandmel

I have to sons at primary school in Adelaide and yes you do have to pay school fees for state schools, the government sets out a standard 'materials and services fee' for all primary schools which is currently $203 a year per child and the school council can choose to set the fees above this level however any fee above this level is considered non compulsory. My sons school charges a total of $265 annual fee. This doesnt include excursions or swimming which total $60 each if this fee is not paid they dont participate in the activity. Then if you choose to do a school sport you will have to pay a fee, this depends on the sport but usually between $50-$80.

Mel

I am sure someone already in Australia will get back to you with more exact info but from my limited research fees vary dramatically. In the UK we are used to schools being either all government or all private, this in not the case in Australia. .....

I have read this often on this forum by never really understood it. When I grew up in oz all non govt schools were called private schools. Didn't matter whether they were run by the Catholics, Church of England grammar, secular, born agains or whatever. If it had 'state school' in its title it was a govt school, if it didn't it was almost always non govt ie private?

Hi,

There are volutary contributions - ours is $60 per family.

You pay for incursions/excursions $90 which you can pay up front

Personal items list - pens, calculator, recorder etc., folders. We tend you re-use some stuff the next year like A4 folders.

My son plays in the school band so we pay tuition fees of $400 per year and also $95 for the band (resources and scores), we pay for swimming $55 for a 2 week block of lessons, $20 dance programme

My son also uses an apple Mac at school which we had to purchase

We are in Melbourne.

3 kids , 2 at secondary college & 1 in final year at primary.Both are State schools.

have to pay an annual 'voluntary ' fee, pay for school text books & jotters, full school uniform must be worn (with school logo on) so no sticking a 3 pack of polo shirts in your supermarket trolley like back home. Has to be school 's school bag & school jacket. PE kit as well, if they take a PE subject.

We had to buy a specific calculator that cost $200, however ,it will do son 2 years of VCE maths & then by that time daughter can have it......if it isn't out of date!

I have joined the school council at daughter's primary & asked about the' voluntary ' fee, it was $280.

It is exactly that, voluntary, however most (95%) of parents do pay it & if a family can't pay it then they still get all the jotters/stationery etc provided.

So far this term, we have had to pay for 3 lots of photos (up front) 1 outdoor education week for 11 year old, 2 trips for 14 year old & 2 for 15 year old.

Primary school have issued a letter with year's planned events & an approx price guide which is helpful.

Both schools do have 2nd hand uniform shop & 2nd hand book shop with items priced according to condition, however we bought new but the option is still there. Uniform seems (so far) to be of good quality & washes well.

If you email schools I am sure they would send you a list of fees.

It does take a bit of getting used to, we had to fork out a load of money before Christmas for fees & book orders, however, this year I'll know what to expect & can budget for it accordingly!

Hope that helps!

eta: secondary college offers payment plan, to pay fortnightly/monthly/term fees, we just paid it all!

so your school might have something similar.

I have read this often on this forum by never really understood it. When I grew up in oz all non govt schools were called private schools. Didn't matter whether they were run by the Catholics, Church of England grammar, secular, born agains or whatever. If it had 'state school' in its title it was a govt school, if it didn't it was almost always non govt ie private?

Yup that is still the local terminology, govie (state) schools or private. There is a Catholic system going now but still, technically, private

• 3 years later...

It is really interesting reading all of this information and now I am a little concerned. We are currently sorting our move to Cromer in NSW and I am wondering if anyone can give me some information on good schools in this area for my 6 and 9 year old and the situation on fees.

Thank you

Archived