The Million Dollar question.........

Guest factor50

Yup, well they did! My kids have also moaned about a teacher who often tells the class that people in the uk only shower once a week! But I shouldn't tell you that cos it may put people off coming!! So I should balance it by stating that generally I have found people welcoming

Be wary of Centrelink saying you are entitled to child benefits - they are all means tested here and myself and husbands salary is less than $115000 and we don't receive anything because we earn too much.

The other thing I wanted to warn you about was private health funds - when you earn over $90000 you have to join a private health fund - maybe your OH employer is paying for this? But worth checking out as they are very expensive - I got quoted $230 per month for a family of 4!!!

Just to add to this you can get some family tax Part B if the main income earner earns less than $150,000 per year and the other earner earns less than around $20,000 (adjusted for age of children).

You can also get some child care benefit that is not means tested at all.

The income threshold where couples have to pay the medicare levy surcharge is $154,000 rather than $90,000. You don't have to join a private health fund it is just that it is often as cheap to do so to avoid the levy. You can just get basic hospital cover rather than hospital and extras as extras is not a requirement to avoid the levy - this can bring the price down dramatically.

Guest siamsusie
Yup, well they did! My kids have also moaned about a teacher who often tells the class that people in the uk only shower once a week! But I shouldn't tell you that cos it may put people off coming!! So I should balance it by stating that generally I have found people welcoming

The best thing to do with stories like this is to confront the Teacher with the Head present and nip it in the bud immediately!

Just to add to this you can get some family tax Part B if the main income earner earns less than $150,000 per year and the other earner earns less than around $20,000 (adjusted for age of children).

You can also get some child care benefit that is not means tested at all.

The income threshold where couples have to pay the medicare levy surcharge is $154,000 rather than $90,000. You don't have to join a private health fund it is just that it is often as cheap to do so to avoid the levy. You can just get basic hospital cover rather than hospital and extras as extras is not a requirement to avoid the levy - this can bring the price down dramatically.

Sorry I was told by Centrelink that PartB is for very low income earners and we were told we are not entitled to it. Could you please tell me what child benefits are not means tested as I haven't found any.

Thanks for clarifying the health insurance - I had forgotten that it is instead of paying the medicare levy. I should say the quote for health insurance that I got was basic with extras.

Guest factor50

That is terrible! What a horrid teacher.....why on earth would she think people from the UK shower once a week???

Reading names out....OMG

I have looked into the child support and we are not entitled to part A, just part B. Very helpful when i rang them, but that's why i haven't put it into the equation as it could all be pants.

I have included private heathcare into budget and taken into account that two babes wont be entitled to medicare until they have PR.

Didn't know about the school fee's $400 per year though.

We obviously have been talking all weekend and OH doesn't think we should go to Aus until eldest has finished school, he picks his subjects this week. Company are also opening up in Melbourne in a couple of years. Thinks we should wait and then at least the two youngest will be a little older and not so far off school age. I can work then..don't know where it's going to be though!!! We will lose our PR by then and company will have to sponsor us though. Plus there could be school fee's there, might be no better off. Think it might be better, maybe if we leave it.

No one has put us off, your posts have been very helpful indeed. We knew it was going to be hard, but maybe not that hard. :shocked: xxxxxx

Guest factor50

Sorry that post looks like that's it! We've put a lid on it! No, we still want to come but maybe leave it couple of years, get our eldest through school here, so his education isn't interrupted. Different state, might be cheaper with the rent. Also housing could possibly be less, then we can afford to buy. :wideeyed: xx

Guest factor50

Just made my son's bottle and rusk. Can't stop thinking about the teacher who said "people from the UK only shower once a week" How very dare she....the cheeky mare!

If a teacher said that here I'm sure she'd be sacked...defo needs to be reported i think.

There you go see! I'm talking to myself....do that quite a lot Lol:chatterbox: xxxx

Sorry I was told by Centrelink that PartB is for very low income earners and we were told we are not entitled to it. Could you please tell me what child benefits are not means tested as I haven't found any.

Thanks for clarifying the health insurance - I had forgotten that it is instead of paying the medicare levy. I should say the quote for health insurance that I got was basic with extras.

It's called the child care rebate. Gives you back half your child care out of pocket costs without any means test.

The best thing to do with stories like this is to confront the Teacher with the Head present and nip it in the bud immediately!

I was going to do that but the kids didn't want me to, They said it showed how stupid she was :laugh:. I think in some ways it has made me appreciate what many people from different backgrounds have to put up with. You have to accept that some people over here don't like us poms & either get stressed by it or brush it off. But as I said they have been a VERY small minority.

Sorry that post looks like that's it! We've put a lid on it! No, we still want to come but maybe leave it couple of years, get our eldest through school here, so his education isn't interrupted. Different state, might be cheaper with the rent. Also housing could possibly be less, then we can afford to buy. :wideeyed: xx

I think you are right, cheaper area or state would make a huge difference, so don't give up on the dream. Good luck :biggrin:

That is terrible! What a horrid teacher.....why on earth would she think people from the UK shower once a week???

It's a long standing joke in australia about brits. Probably from the 60's when once a week baths were common with some. Bad judgement of the teacher to tell that sort of joke in front of kids who may be embarrassed.

Guest factor50

Yes it is!! Oh right i see.....that's where it came from. As long as it was done in jest, then that's not too bad i suppose. :laugh:

Think of the water we saved then. Thinking about it, dont know about anyone else, but when i was a kid we DID only have a bath once a week. Every Sunday night!:wideeyed:Lol xxx

Guest factor50

Yes, after my weekly bath we watched Opportunity Knocks with Huey Green.....whilst my Mum did the ironing!!! OMG we must have smelt a bit by the of the week Lol:embarrassed:

Archived