The Million Dollar question.........

Guest factor50

Guest factor50

Hi everyone, Really hope you can help me here. Ok, here goes! My hubby has been offered company transfer to Sydney, St Marys to be exact. The only problem is the wage. they have offered $115,000 including super pa. This sounds a good wage, but we are a family of six. I have done nothing but spread sheet after spread sheet. The bottom line is after rent 700 pw, tax and food, bills. We will have $170 left per week. We have no school fees as we have PR for myself, my hubby and our two eldest children. But our two babies will be on holiday visa until we can get their PR sorted.

Bit of a nightmare really. Ok we could possibly shave $50 pw off the rent, but the rentals dont seem to be much. Forget the pool, i discounted the pool ages ago:no: We like The Hills area, looks really lovely for families and good schools. Don't know why im asking really as not alot anyone can do i suppose.

Have not included child tax allowance as dont want to rely on that. That would just be a bonus...help, help, help. Oh what to do:wacko: xx

Guest factor50

Frantically trying to edit title. Dollar, Dollar i mean't Dollar!! Guess i just answered my own question in my question anyway:rolleyes: xxx

$115K is a pretty decent salary in anyones language.

I'm not familiar with the area you mentioned but $700 per week on rent is a very large amount.

I think the only thing you can do is compromise on where you live so you bring the rent down to a more realistic amount of say $500 per week.

Guest factor50

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. We are looking at the Hills District in Sydney or more West. Can't find much for $500 tbh. We have 4 kids so we need 4 bedrooms. I know we will have to downsize to what we have here. Just wondered after everything has gone out is $170 the norm to have left?? Have looked at some houses for $600 they look ok but the rent on everything seems really mega.

I have been looking at the real estate agents on the net, but is there more property advertised in the newspapers over there?

Im sure we could manage, just a bit scary if two of us had say Doctors appointments in one week. There really wouldn't be much left:eek:

Would you be able to maybe get a part time job and earn a few bucks? I work 4 half days a week at $20h which gives us about 1500$ month, so that would help. I would be a bit wary of being left with 170$ month, prices go up all the time, unexpected things happen, so $170 is not much ...

$700 seems steep for rent but I don´t know the Sydney market, I presume it would be more expensive than Perth, but maybe you could cut down slightly on that, look at other suburbs further away, but then you might have to add transport costs (train,bus). Best of luck , it´s not easy to start over, my husband came over with 120thousand 4 years ago, but we had a lot of start up expenses, but we have managed so far.

Guest factor50

I think the rent would be cheaper in the outback LOl:eek: No, seriously i have looked at other areas but want to be where the good schools are. They appear to be in The Hills, but have been looking tonight at Dural and there are some properties there for $500/$600 so that would leave us more $$$ at the end of the week. Sydney looks so beautiful and i guess that's why the rent is mega bucks. I could work part time, but only evenings really as we have 4 kids so at least hubby would be home then. Wouldn't want to work weekends as want to be on beach etc,etc.....

I dont mind cleaning toilets tbh if it means few more $$, but will draw the line at standing on street corner:biglaugh: No seriously, thanx guys for your answers, but i guess we just have to make our minds up and keep doing the calculations. Once all the kids are in school then i have always planned to get back to work anyway, so we would have to cut our cloth for a fews years. Just didn't want to only have a hanky left. Settle for a tea towel size though...........xxxxxx

Guest MADTOM

Hi

Are you in the UK at the mo - If you really want to make the move to Sydney go for it! Can your husband push for more money? If not maybe he can renegotiate when you are there and can also start looking for other jobs?

Try looking at Centre link and see if you would be entitled to anyhing.

Guest factor50

Yes still in Uk. He has asked for more $$$$ not loads more, but i guess it's good money already. Their not going for it. Can't believe how expensive it is, but omg its so tempting....:daydreaming: Yes have rang centrelink and we are entitled to money for the kids. But didn't want to rely on that, that's an

added bonus really.

Oh what to do:err: xxxx

Guest Aiken Drum

Hi, we're a family of six and waiting to see if a job comes up at our Sydney office (I'm currently working in London).

I have no idea what salary I could command but was hoping for $100k so $115k sounds great! My wife is a childminder here though and plans to set up family day care there and (only vague enquiries made so far) it seems like she can earn more there than she does here?

We've only just started looking into all this but Epping looks very reasonable for rent (4 and even 5 bed houses for about $600 to $700 a week) and my sister (who lives in Haberfield) says there's good schools there....

Obviously look into it yourself but it might be an option?

Guest factor50

Thanks for your reply. Child minding has actually crossed my mind too. At least i could work from home. Yes it's a great opportunity and i know if we don't do this, we will live to regret it for ever. Just want a better life for the kids, as we all do:smile: Hubby's work is St Marys in Western Sydney, so would have to be near there........thanks for all your replys guys...guess its back to the drawing board and more spread sheets:wink: xxxxxxxx

Guest MADTOM

Hi

Just been looking on Domain rental (hills) there are quite a few 4 bed houses ranging from $300 to £500 per week (and they look fine) - so can be done. Obviously don't know about the areas but if you compromise on accomodation until you are settled that may be a way around it.

If your two younger children are school age and on a visitor's visa and you want them to attend school, they could only do so for 3 months and you would pay international student fees for them (10k pa pro rata). I hope you are applying for their permanent visa before you leave UK as DIAC dont like anyone arriving on a tourist visa who doesnt intend to leave Aus - as an up front bridging measure it is OK apparently.

You also need to add the incidental things into your spreadsheet like the school excursions and swimming lessons, the car breakdown, kids' birthday party invitations, coffee with some mums, school stationery packs, etc. $170 is a bit slim - you only need one of the kids to need to go to the dentist and you have wiped out two weeks buffer. Getting the family's hair cut will take that easily (especially if you fancy foils for yourself!). There is just the two of us and we are renovating (very slowly) which costs us a bit more at the mo and pay everything by credit card and with no rent/mortgage, we spend easily over $1000 pw on just living stuff - insurances, regos, phones, broadband, food, entertainment, basic hobby stuff etc. This month with a minor op on there as well, we have forked out $8k.

$115k is a very good wage but you will probably need to supplement it, if you can, I suspect.

Guest factor50

Yes two youngest are only 18 months and 4 months...thanks for the info on the visa, didn't know that. Yes the wage doesn't go very far, even though tis a good wage.

I will have to work i reckon, but we could shave $100 off the rent, so that would be a little bit better. There's just not alot left after everything has gone out and no i haven't counted for hairdressers etc, etc :frown: xxxx

Have been living in Sydney for two years now and everything is so expensive, the rent of $700 dollars a week sounds about average don't think you'll get much of a house for anything less. Good luck.

Guest factor50

I know! Tbh i think some landlords have a bit of a cheek to charge that much on some of the properties. I wouldn't house a dog in some of the ones i've looked at:dull: Its a real bummer when hubby is being offered double his salary over here and its gone in a puff of smoke.

I know Sydney is mega bucks and like London, but it is a good wage!!! Hey who knows my numbers could come up tonight:spinny: But cant rely on that Lol...........it's a very tough decision because of the cost. But it looks sooooooooooo beautiful :daydreaming: Thanks for all your input guys.........makes me think there's loads of really lovely people over there xxxxxxxxxxx

$115,000 including super ($1433.50 pw after tax) does sound like it could be a bit tight in and around Sydney for a family of 6, especially given the rental rates of $700 pw you are quoting. I know that you don't want to rely on Child Tax allowance, but if you are entitled to it then you should be adding that into your calculation. Do you have any option from doing work from home for a few hours a week, it could certainly help.

Not sure if this is any help but for another take on costs, we spend approx $460 a week on food, entertainment, car insurance, rego, lots of going out and entertaining, etc (add in rent then it is $880 per week) in Brisbane but there is only the 2 of us.

Best of luck with your decision it really is a tough call but unless you can find a way to either reduce your costs or increase your incomings I would worry that things could be a bit tight and lack of money is a huge stressor in life. Perhaps now is just not the right time for you and your family to come over. I love Australia and from a financial pov we have so much more disposable income than we ever did in the UK, but if the situation had been that we would be struggling when we arrived here then perhaps we would have had to stick it out in the UK for a bit longer.

Guest factor50

Thanks for that Michele.........i know it would be tight but our pr will be running out soon and we are under the impression that we can't get that visa anymore. Yes it would be alot better if we could leave it a few more years and then come over when the two youngest are in school, or nearly in school anyway. So we would only have to struggle for a couple of years instead of about 5 years. Then i can work. When i spoke to centrelink it came in at around $700 per month for the four kids, but that would be when they all have pr visa's. That is alot better, but you don't want to rely on hand outs really...never done that! Ok we do get family allowance over here which is good, it really helps, but feel cheeky in another country. Cant help thinking that we are so privileged to have the offer though!!!:wink:

Thanks for that Michele.........i know it would be tight but our pr will be running out soon and we are under the impression that we can't get that visa anymore. Yes it would be alot better if we could leave it a few more years and then come over when the two youngest are in school, or nearly in school anyway. So we would only have to struggle for a couple of years instead of about 5 years. Then i can work. When i spoke to centrelink it came in at around $700 per month for the four kids, but that would be when they all have pr visa's. That is alot better, but you don't want to rely on hand outs really...never done that! Ok we do get family allowance over here which is good, it really helps, but feel cheeky in another country. Cant help thinking that we are so privileged to have the offer though!!!:wink:

I'm from Sydney and I know a fair bit about the area your husband will be working in as my Gran used to live there. St Mary's is a very established suburb and is looking a bit tired. It has a big RSL club which is very family friendly and does cheap meals at the weekend with entertainment etc.

There is a new estate not far from there called Ropes Crossing, where you will be able to rent a property which is near new. The beauty of being out west is that everything is that little bit cheaper in terms of rent, so you will be able to get a large home for the price of a small apartment in the city. Another area very close to St Marys is Glenmore Park. Urban sprawl, but great for families and not bad on the budget. The schools in the these areas will be near new too. If you do end up out this way, take the kids to the Penrith White Water Rafting Centre. Purpose built for the sydney olympics, and its a fantastic day out.

If you choose South West; Prestons, Horningsea Park, West Hoxton and Cecil Hills are more newish areas that you'll get a half decent rental whilst not being too isolated.

Stay away from Blacktown and Mount Druitt (I apologise if I'm offending anyone, but IMP they arent the best of areas).

The Hills district is lovely, and is also packed with new homes, but you'll pay that bit more. However, facilities in the area are great. Just be careful that you dont go too far away from St Marys as Sydney traffic is a total nightmare.

All the best. :spinny:

Hi Factor 50

The hills district is very nice but you are right when you say your rent will be $700 - you would be lucky to find anything worth living in for less then that!

You said no school fees because of PR but in NSW most schools have a termly contribution which you have to pay and depending on which school depends on contributions but for Catholic schools it can be up to $3000 - sometimes a lot less for non-catholic but they still require a contribution.

Be wary of Centrelink saying you are entitled to child benefits - they are all means tested here and myself and husbands salary is less than $115000 and we don't receive anything because we earn too much.

The other thing I wanted to warn you about was private health funds - when you earn over $90000 you have to join a private health fund - maybe your OH employer is paying for this? But worth checking out as they are very expensive - I got quoted $230 per month for a family of 4!!!

I am not trying to be the voice of doom - but I know how much of a struggle it can be when you first set up and when you have kids it is always best to be prepared! I hope it all works out for you!

Good advice Rebrol. We live in the Hills area, have been here 3 years, Glenhaven to be exact. Our kids go to Castle Hill High. At the public schools here you will be asked to pay around $350 a year per child (for us this year it is over $800). Plus although they say it is voluntary it isn't really. At our school they read the names out in class of the families who haven't paid...very embarassng for the kids !! You have to buy the uniforms from the school shops , & they are NOT cheap like in the uk. You will find the houses a little cheaper to rent in Kellyville & Rouse Hill. You need around $600 pm minumum for a decent house. The Catholic schools are private & I take it you aren't looking at sending the kids there. Good luck