$350pw rental reasonable?

Wonderingaloud

Hi my hubby and I are moving to Brisbane in about 3 weeks time:eek:

No kiddiwinks, and I have a job at the mater mothers hospital in south bank. Not sure on where to live yet but quite like look of Wellington point, bracken ridge, corrparoo or even inner city like bulimba or new farm. As I will be the sole earner until hubby finds work we are looking at 350 pw or maybe a little more. Would you say this is a reasonable budget for something decent for a young couple?:err:

Anyones thoughts on nice suburbs within a 30 min commute to cbd would be fab also:smile:

Hi thanks. I am already on that site most of my waking hours, that and lurking around on here....:embarrassed:

I just wondered what the general feeling was renting a property at that amount was.

But then I guess we'll find out soon enough anyway:eek:

Have been looking forwards to this for years now and all of a sudden am becoming a little apprehensive. Really weird:err:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I love that site, i was on it yesterday and found a massive brand new state of the art house overlooking the sea near Hallet cove 20 minutes from Adelaide for $400 per week, there was some spanking houses for $350 per week, but i think its slightly dearer in Brisbane, all the best i am sure you will find something.

Guest Happyone

I think your budget is reasonable, but it depends if you want a house or a unit? If you want a house, go the outer suburbs.

My first pick would be New Farm, and you could get a unit for that price (look around Teneriffe, there are lots of old factories converted to really cool units). It has great delis, farmers markets, lots of good quality but reasonably priced cafes and restaurants. Lovely big park and nice walks.

Bulimba and Coorparoo have lots of units too, a mix of old and new. As far as commuting to the hospital, your best bet would be Coorparoo if you want to use public transport. The new busway is almost done and you wouldn't have to be on the road at all - it will drop you right under the hospital with a travel time of about 10 minutes. If you plan to drive, it probably doesn't matter. Both suburbs have city views so you'll generally pay more in rent for a property with those.

If you wanted real 'city' living there are huge apartment blocks on the river at Southbank. West End is also close by, it is a bit more alternative and you find lots of creative people living there. It's where the Premier lives.

Hi thanks. I am already on that site most of my waking hours, that and lurking around on here...

Hahaha I also spend most my free time on this real estate site or on here! My partner Dave and I are waiting our 457 visa and are hoping to be Queensland by July or sooner. We put in $400 max and seem to fined some very nice properties around Brisbane and Logan. We are after a 2/3 bedroom house (for any English visitors!) with a bigish garden for our 2 dogs and I think from that real estate site it appears you get a much nicer property for your money than if you were renting in Enland

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I work at the Mater Mothers, my hubby, dog and I moved out here a 16months ago and love it.

We live 30mins drive away from the Mater in Warner, its on the northside. Its a new build estate and for $350 you would get 3/4 bed home and garden. We live in the suburbs because we like the quieter setting so I suppose you need to decide if you want to be in the hub of the city or not. We did look at houses closer to the city but they were older and not kept as nice and we needed a garden for our dog.

Good luck with your search and Im sure you will love working at the Mater, its totally different to the NHS.

Archived