AHPRA Registration AT LAST - Now for phone interview. KNOX Private Hospital

Guest brisbane82

Guest brisbane82

Finally after 6 months - I got my AHPRA nurse registration. Today. Also today I have been given a time for a telephone interview (tomorrow 1pm) for a job in ortho at the knox private hospital.

:biggrin:

Anyone have any advice?

or it would just be nice to get some feedback from anyone who works or has worked there?

Thanks in advance.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hey that's great news congratulations, I know a couple of people who work at the Knox and love it there. Good luck for tomorrow.

Guest brisbane82

Thanks! I have been living in Brisbane for 6 months, but heard so many nice things about Melbourne. Im going in 2 weeks to have a look round, and hopefully have a look around the Hospital if my interview goes well!

Hey.

Did AHPRA ask you for 2 character references ?? Some people on this forum have been asked to provide them and I'd like to know before I send in my application :-)

Guest brisbane82

Hi, no I did not have to provide any character references, but I had to provide two work references, stating the exact dates of employment, and the hours I worked and all my duties etc.

Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone for the replys, I am so relieved to have registration, I can't stop smiling! Now I can start doing the job I love after a 6 month break!!!

Guest brisbane82

Thanks everyone - had the interview today, think it went alright, I also have another interview lined up for Monday! Will let you all know!

:jiggy:

I think knox private is healthscope isnt it? If so I work for healthscope. Think NHS for a point of ref of what they are like to work for. Im not sure if i can help in any way as not familiar with staff out there but brits are generally held in good regard.

Well done for getting one out the way and good luck for the other

Guest nursemoving2aussie2011

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and have found most of the post very helpful as I decided to get a sponsor before making the big move. I'm an RMN and have been offered a job with Northwestern Mental Health. I have received an elegibility letter from AHPRA though I thought I would get registered automatically but they're saying I will have to attend their office in Melbourne. I am hoping to move in Oct. 2011. I have received my police cert this morning so will be e-mailing my migration agent today. Would be glad to chat with other RMN's or Nurses in general in the same boat! Thanx!

Guest Ferrywebs

Hi my name is Lee, i had an interview in Sept and got a job in ortho in Knox private hospital. My husband and i arrived here Jan 19th, im just waiting on verification letter from NMC in Scotland so hopefully start work next week. We are renting a house round the corner from the hospital. Let me know if you get the job so i can look out for you at work.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anitk
Thanks! I have been living in Brisbane for 6 months, but heard so many nice things about Melbourne. Im going in 2 weeks to have a look round, and hopefully have a look around the Hospital if my interview goes well!

Hi did u find brisbane or melbourne as a suitable place for young families? I am thinking about a move to Aus so would like to know.

Hi,

I am making the big move as a nurse too, i thought that the AHPRA registration came automatically too. I applied a month or so ago and have a phone interview wednesday morning at 6am for a surgical nurse post. I am awaiting a sponsorship so that I can apply for a 457 visa.

I am also hoping of moving out dec/Jan time so may be out for xmas!

Claire x

Hi I am also coming to work in ortho at knox, starting 4th july! Have you started yet Lee if so how are you findinh it? I am coming out at end of June and have yet to find a short term lease until I find something long term, do you have any advice?

jen

Guest Ferrywebs
Hi I am also coming to work in ortho at knox, starting 4th july! Have you started yet Lee if so how are you findinh it? I am coming out at end of June and have yet to find a short term lease until I find something long term, do you have any advice?

jen

Hi jen i started 11th april, have to get used to the different ways of working and drug names. i dont have computer yet so may take a few days for reply as using 1 at library. There are a lot of rentals where u just turn up on the specified day with only 15 mins for everyone to look around. We havent seen any furnished apart from in the city, and only seen houses, no flats for rent in this area. we have a 3 bed house round the corner from the hospital and its $430 a week for rent, so not cheap ! Who are u coming with ? I mentioned to personnel when i went down to collect my ID badge that i was speaking to u on here and she said u are going to be in the ward next to mine . We stayed at the Punthill apartments just round the corner from us while looking for somewhere to live, u can google it for a look, look 4ward to hearing from u :)

Guest Becca

Hi, just thought I'd let u know i have been offered a job with North Western Mental Health and my partner is awaiting the outcome of the interview with North Western, we applied to AHPRA back in February and have just emailed acceptance letter off to them a month ago. How long did your registration take to get through to this point, as we are looking at going out next month (fingers crossed). Keep me posted we may end up working together!!

Guest jeng

Hi Lee, thanks for getting back to me, really glad I mailed you now as you have helped put my mind at ease about the job. I am coming over with my husband and 2 children arrive on 24th June, we have rented an apartment in st kilda which is bit further than I would have liked from work but its only for very short period until we find something more long term. How do you find the area you are in? we are looking at mount waverly or somewhere near there but its proving to be a nightmare as we have to consider schools and whats available in the areas ! how long have you been out in oz for is it just urself and ur husband? are u settling in ok, I hope so. speak soon I hope jennifer

Hi All, I too have a job in Knox Hospital in theatre.......me my husband and two children are hoping to be out there by sept just waiting on medicals etc, its great to know that i am not the only new starter from uk !!!! any advice anyone has about nice areas with good schools for 9 & 10 year old boys would be greatly appriciated....and if i can be of any help to anyone ask away (i will try and give you some useful info regarding early stages and frustrations of application ha ha) x x x

Guest Ferrywebs

Hi Jennifer, my husband and i arrived 19th Jan, started work 11th April. Im not too keen on this area as i lived in an area called Broughty Ferry in Dundee (Scotland), and it was on the river tay, had a beach, pubs, shops, cafe`s etc. The nearest beach is about 30-40 min drive but that are is too expensive to live for us. we live 2 min in car to Knox shopping centre (100 shops), large cinema, couple of pubs and about 10 restaurant next door, which is fine, but miss the Ferry. We have this rental until Feb 1st which is handy for work (1 min in the car, or 20 min walking).

The ward u are in is brand new, spacious, im in the old part of the building and pulling my hair out, due to lots of thing that could easily be sorted ! There is a meeting on Fri, so will be taking my list with me. I am finding it hard due to lack of friends. I have met nice girls at work but they have there own life and friends and u dont like to impose. 1 girl on my ward is from Canada and is in same boat as me, so going to meet up with her.

When u sign up at doctors, get somewhere that bulk bills so u dont pay for anything, otherwise u pay upfront, then go to medicare to stand in a queue to get 3/4 or so of your money back.

There are quite a few schools in this area but dont have kids so not sure what they are like. As u are arriving in the winter, remember bring jackets and jumpers as it is already cold here. i have only been to perth in the winter so didnt think it would be as cold as this !

Hi Lee, thanks for getting back to me, really glad I mailed you now as you have helped put my mind at ease about the job. I am coming over with my husband and 2 children arrive on 24th June, we have rented an apartment in st kilda which is bit further than I would have liked from work but its only for very short period until we find something more long term. How do you find the area you are in? we are looking at mount waverly or somewhere near there but its proving to be a nightmare as we have to consider schools and whats available in the areas ! how long have you been out in oz for is it just urself and ur husband? are u settling in ok, I hope so. speak soon I hope jennifer

Guest Ferrywebs

Hi, i cant give u any advice regarding schools as dont have kids. Ive been down to collect patients from theatre a few times now and its all brand new, spacious and clean. there is still work going on in the hospital so some corridors blocked off etc. They have a small cafe (Hudsons) nowhere as such for staff to go to, although i did see a sign in the theatre area for theatre staff to go for meals, will enquire about that for u. :smile: Lee

Hi All, I too have a job in Knox Hospital in theatre.......me my husband and two children are hoping to be out there by sept just waiting on medicals etc, its great to know that i am not the only new starter from uk !!!! any advice anyone has about nice areas with good schools for 9 & 10 year old boys would be greatly appriciated....and if i can be of any help to anyone ask away (i will try and give you some useful info regarding early stages and frustrations of application ha ha) x x x

Hi, i cant give u any advice regarding schools as dont have kids. Ive been down to collect patients from theatre a few times now and its all brand new, spacious and clean. there is still work going on in the hospital so some corridors blocked off etc. They have a small cafe (Hudsons) nowhere as such for staff to go to, although i did see a sign in the theatre area for theatre staff to go for meals, will enquire about that for u. :smile: Lee

thanks Lee ........how you finding working in the hospital do you enjoy it ?

Guest Ferrywebs

I was down to theatre this morning and enquired about the room, the orderly said they have tea, coffee making facilities etc in a room for theatre staff so u have ur own area. The hospital provide tea, coffee, biscuits, crackers, milk which is handy, didn`t get that with the NHS !

Its not the worst experience ive had work wise, could be better. i think because im on the old ortho ward im taking bad with not having the correct facilities to hand. there is a meeting fri, hopefully get some things changed, Lee.

Guest jeng

HI Lee

Thats a shame u are not keen on the area, have noticed that the rental terms all seem to be 12 months big risk if u dont like it. Must be a big change esp if ur used to beach etc, im from glasgow so no beaches close by but have looked at coast in melbourne (very expensive). I hope that u get things sorted at the meeting fri hopefully be bit better by time I get there! I can imagine ur finding it hard I am going to be in same boat very soon the thought of having knowone to chat or have a moan to is very scary! have u met anyone from my ward?

When u first arrived did u just phone hospital and ask what time to go etc, agency guy only gave me start date. also what are the hours like was it induction for 1st week and is it true they self rota?

which hospital did u work in back in Scotland Im at ortho trauma at royal in edinburgh have 2 weeks left hope this new job is good.

speak sn x

Guest jeng

Hi I am in same situation going out in 4 weeks with 2 children its so hard to work out where to live,its appears to be similar with regards to catchment areas so until u have property cant do anything about the school. we have been looking into it alot and seems east and south east is the better option! glen waverly is supposed to be a good school!

this web site seems quite good.

http://bettereducation.com.au/school/primary/vic/vic_primary_school_rating.aspx

Thank you , will have a look at that website but like you say think it is going to be a case of having a good look once over there...... not long for you 4 weeks !!! hope everythinh has gone smoothly for you!! Im having a bit of a nightmare getting registration finalised missing documents which have been near imposible to get hold of !!! getting there now though and will hopefully be out there end of Aug!!! I have booked meds today as there is a bit of a wait so didnt want it to hold us up anymore than necessary!!! I know i have to get full med but do you know what my Hubby will need by any chance ? have booked him in for full but been told he may not need full ?? good luck anyway x x x

Archived