Shipping and Removals - Timing

Guest chloew

Guest chloew

Hello,

We have the shipping company arriving the same day we're handing over the keys. So, in people's experience if they say they can pack everything up and be out by 12pm, can they?!

I know it depends on lots of things but just wanted to know people's experiences!

honestly?, no.

We've done 6 international moves over the years and each time they've run a little over, not a lot but a few hours or needed to come back the next morning.

Sometimes they've packed the house up on time but been awaiting delivery of the container itself or the delay has been in loading and so they have instead moved everything onto the driveway - which could be an option in worst case scenario for you if it's dry?.

TBH I'm sure they *can* work to your deadline, but i'm not sure i'd be keen on them rushing with my possessions - had that happen too and had dog beds put in with bed pillows and the like!

Can they not come the day before? Are you in a rental now, will you not need to clean up etc anyway before handing keys back?

Also, ours have been company paid moves, so they have been reputable firms and they have worked hard, it's just a big job if done well.

Guest chloew

Thanks for that, we've sold the house but still need to clean wtc. When we were discussing the move with the shippers they convinced us they could do it and give us time to clean..... but now we're thinking otherwise. Thanks for the honest opinion!

We fly out on 4 July this year, but the shippers are coming to pack up on 31 May and 1 June. For the last 4 weeks or so we're going to be slumming it with tat ready for scrapping (probably) or selling (hopefully, but unlikely) before we leave.

Hopefully the house will exchange near the end of June which work out fine to save us being homeless, but that assumes we find a buyer in next few months!! We can move in to my Mums if we sell earlier though.

It's all planned out, but like all plans, there's loads that can go wrong!!