and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

atlime

State Sponsership

Hi everyone

Hoping someone can help:biggrin:

I have been searching but cant find the answer so thought I better ask rather than get it wrong :wink:

I am just in the process of sorting skills assessment but then I will need to apply for Visa

We will try for state sponsership but not sure of the process

Have been through the WA state sponsership form and seems straight forward enough but do we apply for that and our Visa together?

or Visa first then state sponser? or state then visa ...arrragghhh!!!!! :err:

Also does anyone know how much money in the bank is expected and do they actualy check? as we will have savings and money from sale of house but house may not sell in time.

many thanks to anyone who can help :smile:

Hya,

THINK its skills assessment, state sponsor and then visa.

I have read many people say so long as you can prove you have some money and have rest of the money when you arrive in oz eg belonings etc you should be ok.

This info i have got off here, so not saying it is all correct, just what i have been informed.

Hope this helps

Claire

Thanks Claire:smile:

Dont suppose you know how long it takes to get response for state sponsership? Just im hoping to get application in before july

Guest miniwing
Thanks Claire:smile:

Dont suppose you know how long it takes to get response for state sponsership? Just im hoping to get application in before july

Hello, I'm no expert at this as we too are just about to submit our skills assessment. But I have been researching for the last 4-5 months and think I've just about sussed the process for a WA state sponsored visa (this is what we're going for too).

You need to get your skills assessed first - this will probably take about 8 weeks.

Once you have a positive skills assessment back you'll need to take the IELTs test (International English Language test) and apply to the state for sponsorship. I think this can take a few months but from what I can see on here most people are receiving a response within 8 weeks also.

Once you've done this, then you can apply for the big boy - the full visa. For this you'll need a medical and police clearance, but they'll notify you when to do this and its not essential you need this before you apply.

I've found this very helpful -

The Department of Training and Workforce Development - Skilled Migration Western Australia - State sponsored skilled visas

and

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

If time is not on your side then I'd suggest you talk to a agent.

Good luck!

thanks for the links

they explained a few things i wasnt sure about.

if i get state sponsership application in before july will I be ok or does it have to the visa before july? and does it have to be in that order? just wondered if its possiblt to apply for visa then state just so visa is in before july..

I suspect not but worth asking :smile:

Guest hrimmer3011

Hi, you need to get your skills assessed FIRST, once you have the positive paperwork (8 weeks ish) you can then apply for State Sponsorship, you cannot apply for State Sponsorship without your positive skills result. Once you have received your State Sponsorship (again approx 8/10 weeks) you can then apply for the Main Visa to DIAC, to apply for your main visa to DIAC, you must have: Positive Skills result - State Sponsorship from your chosen state without these you cannot apply to DIAC for the main visa. Its a long process, but if you get it wrong and don't attach all documents to the DIAC application, they will refuse and then you will have to go through it all again. So its 3 stages basically - 1) Positive Skills Result 2) Positive State Sponsorship and then 3) Apply to DIAC for Main visa. hope that clears things up a bit for you. helen

Guest guest48800

Hello there,

Probably not that useful to you if you're applying to WA, but I know that you can apply for VIC SS before your skills assessment is complete, i.e. submit both applications at the same time, but it won't complete (if they decide they want you) until a positive trade assessment is submitted. That's my understanding anyway....which I'm hoping is right as that's what our agent has told us and what we're doing! :biggrin: We want to go to Melbourne anyway so it's a bonus for us.

Hope this helps.

Yes that's great thanks Helen

Give me step by step what's to come :)

woodster - not really wanting SA but good to know incase we change our plans.

Read earlier SS taking 8-10 weeks so not looking good for getting sorted before July... guess I'll have to try and get employer sponsor :(

Thanks for the advise everyone. Really appreciate you spending time to reply. It's not the easiest process so I would be lost with great advise lime this.

J

Don't forget about the proof of funds (eg Qld asks $35k+ for a family of four) that you must provide when you apply for the state sponsorship. Proof of other assets than money or market shares (eg house or car) won't do.