Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne pros and cons

pandv_2000

Hello

We are a long way off going to Oz but I'm thinking about where to live, Originally I was planning Adelaide and had researched quite a bit. The problem was I didn't research OH's occupation and it's unlikely he will be able to find work there. I'm an accountant and there seem to be plenty of opportunities all over Oz but my OH is an IT security consultant. Melbourne and Sydney have the best jobs markets but there also seemed to be quite a few jobs in Brisbane for him.

Of the 3 OH likes Melbourne and I like Brisbane. We are hoping to do a reccie and visit all 3 but I need to find myself a new job to pay for it as I was made redundant in Jan!

Hello there,

I am a Management Accountant but without a family and I am looking at a similar quandry of trying to find the perfect place which has a healthy jobs market, nightlife, affordable house prices, beaches. I am lucky in that I have spent 10 months in Oz so I am familiar with the places but in someways it makes it more difficult as all are fantastic in their own way.

Job - Like you I feel as though I could get a job in most of the major cities but I think that Perth & Brisbane would offer the best career as I am used to industry rather than practice.

Affordable Housing - Brisbane & Perth again would be better suited given I come from the North East England like you, trying to move to Sydney is like moving to London involves massively downsizing or simply unaffordable.

Australian Lifestyle - Sydney wins hands down for me for what I want beach, bars, cafes, restuarants. I have fantastic memories of Melbourne too.

I wasn't keen on Adelaide it was like a warm version of Durham, nice place to visit but couldn't live there!

Good luck!

If I had a family (which I do want at some stage) I would say Brisbane area, the Sunshine Coast in particular was absolutely beautiful true paradise and looks perfect for families. I stayed with an Australian family in a place called Peregian Springs they had two young girls and the area for schools, activities and places to visit was fantastic. I also read very good reports about all of the Sunshine Coast all over this site.

Only problem could be the commute to Bris CBD which could be over an hour.

Archived