gr8leo87

Hello friends,

I saw this post on linkedIn, so thought to share it here.

Since there are a lot of people interested in moving to Australia, a few pointers before you consider such a move.

1. Understand the market. Do not assume that since you have 10 years or 15 years of experience you are "entitled" for a great job. Australia is a market where people are specialized. People can work for 10 years in the same area as a developer or a consultant. You will be competing against these people. And if you are from India, there is a good chance that you have more breadth than depth. So 7 - 8 years is not a huge deal.

2. Australia has 20 million people. To put that into perspective, it is equivalent of Mumbai and Delhi together. The market is that small and IT jobs are restricted to 4 - 5 cities here

3. The economy seems close to a recession, which means that there are more people in the job market.

4. Just because there are openings and you are the expert in that field does not mean you will get that job. SEEK is full of fake job postings. Recruitment system is broken. You need networks to find jobs. Just because your resume looks good to you does not mean it fits the culture and expectations here. People look for Aussie experience as well.

5. In case you are in managerial or project management roles, you need relevant certification. In many cases you might need to find a job that is a step down compared to India.

It is easier to find pure tech based jobs if they are in demand. Generic jobs like Java developer,.Net developer etc., are much more hard to find. If you want to move, this is not the greatest time to move here. Be prepared to spend 4 - 5 months. The best bet is to find a job from India or make an internal transfer.

Good luck to everyone.

This is more or less true in most of the occupations.. In fact IT is one of the better fields at this point of time..

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a current PhD student, and teaching undergrads alongside, let me put in my 2c for the masters.

Generally, for people with limited experience, having a post-graduate qualification will make you overqualified. That can impede your job prospects unless the employer is sure that the masters degree is boosting the experience you bring to the table, and is not just a piece of paper for you to try and get a leg up over more experienced candidates. Experience in the field goes a longer way than higher qualifications in the ladder here. This is quite the opposite to how things go in the sub-continent, where an MBA is more or less mandatory for graduate positions in many services firms. Such a combination would be severely disadvantaged here.

That said, academia is an exception. Academics tend to be highly qualified, but again, unlike the sub-continent, career progression in the field of academics (university-level) is based on research output here, not teaching performance.

IT is a slightly different beast still. IT will have even more emphasis on experience. A masters in IT wont make u any more desirable than a BIT, because if you have the same experience on the field, you dont have much to back your masters up.

Thank you Twister and Shawais for job related updates.

Shawais, can you suggest any Linkedin group that you might have found to be effective in Australian job search. I have subscribed some groups which are relevant to my field, however I was wondering if there are any generic good ones that I might be missing on.

Thank you Twister and Shawais for job related updates.

Shawais, can you suggest any Linkedin group that you might have found to be effective in Australian job search. I have subscribed some groups which are relevant to my field, however I was wondering if there are any generic good ones that I might be missing on.

Join this one bro http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=41910&trk=anet_ug_hm

Dear all,

Can anyone share experience about opening an online bank account with common wealth? We are flying to Brisbane first week of Apr. We tried opening up a joint account online but it is required to submit a signed form as well that bank will send to the provided local address in Australia. So we cannot proceed with our online account opening until we reach there.

Thanks

Dear all,

Can anyone share experience about opening an online bank account with common wealth? We are flying to Brisbane first week of Apr. We tried opening up a joint account online but it is required to submit a signed form as well that bank will send to the provided local address in Australia. So we cannot proceed with our online account opening until we reach there.

Thanks

Walk into any branch and open an account. They will send out your ATM/MasterCard Debit card by post.

Dear all,

Thanks

Try NAB bank its free and easy to iprn from overseas

If we open up account with NAB now, how long would it take for ATM card to be ready? The main concern is how soon would we be able to outflow cash?

Bro, keep some cash in hand for instant needs.

NAB will take around one week to open account if i m not forgotten.

After arrival you have to visit branch for account activation. You can get money out from branch until u get ATM. Better to call your branch before your first visit they will get ready your cards and deliver you in branch.

I hope it will help.

Cheers

If we open up account with NAB now, how long would it take for ATM card to be ready? The main concern is how soon would we be able to outflow cash?

As shawais explained if you open bank account now probably you can get your Atm card on the first day of your arrival and can start using it on the same day. But as shawais told you keep some cash in your hand as well.

Good luck

As shawais explained if you open bank account now probably you can get your Atm card on the first day of your arrival and can start using it on the same day. But as shawais told you keep some cash in your hand as well.

Good luck

Thanks you farri447 and shawais. The information really helps. We will be doing same. We are flying to Brisbane on Apr 3rd. We have booked our tickets through IOM and tickets will be issued late this week.

We haven't get our passports labelled. We are travelling with printed copies of grant letters. I hope there won't be any trouble. And as much we know, we do not need nicop or any additional documents.while travelling as migrants. Please correct if its not the case.

Thanks.

Hello group members,

I need a word of advise with my case. I submitted my EOI on 15th March for both 189 & 190 Visas. Today I received an invitation from Queensland for State Nomination. For this, the documents/information has to be submitted by 1st of April. On the other hand, the next round of invites for 189 is on 24th March. If I wait to see the results till 24th that whether I get an invitation or not for 189, it will not give me sufficient time to prepare & submit the Queensland application.

Can anyone advise, what should I be doing at this point?

Regards,

Ali

Thanks you farri447 and shawais. The information really helps. We will be doing same. We are flying to Brisbane on Apr 3rd. We have booked our tickets through IOM and tickets will be issued late this week.

We haven't get our passports labelled. We are travelling with printed copies of grant letters. I hope there won't be any trouble. And as much we know, we do not need nicop or any additional documents.while travelling as migrants. Please correct if its not the case.

Thanks.

what is the mode of payment for iom tickets ? Can you please elaborate....

NICOP is not required for immigrants.

Hello group members,

I need a word of advise with my case. I submitted my EOI on 15th March for both 189 & 190 Visas. Today I received an invitation from Queensland for State Nomination. For this, the documents/information has to be submitted by 1st of April. On the other hand, the next round of invites for 189 is on 24th March. If I wait to see the results till 24th that whether I get an invitation or not for 189, it will not give me sufficient time to prepare & submit the Queensland application.

Can anyone advise, what should I be doing at this point?

Regards,

Ali

If I would have been at your place I will be preparing documents and keeping them ready to go.

You can open any bank account when you land in Australia.

Other than the fact that NAB doesn't have fees on its standard "Classic Banking" accounts, there is no huge difference in the level of service across the "Big 4" Australian banks.

I have my primary accounts with ANZ, and a credit card from Commonwealth Bank. Both provide a good level of service, and I personally find both CBA and ANZ have wider ATM coverage (although NAB has expanded in recent times due to their partnership with Bank of Queensland for ATMs). In my experience, CBA, ANZ and WestPac have wider ATM coverage in some areas, but the banks also have a habit of ATM crowding (they tend to set up ATMs around each other's machines) so if there's one bank's ATM at a location, others are likely to be in the vicinity as well.

Take 100 points of ID (Passport, visa grant letter, NICOP or some form of alternative ID etc) and they will set you up with an account on-the-spot usually, and your ATM/Debit card will follow in the mail. Sometimes you can ask the bank to hold the card for you and you can collect it from the branch you opened the account at. You don't even need to have a minimum deposit to open an account here unlike Pakistan.

Be aware though that banks will not usually issue you a credit card till you get an income source that generates income in Australia.

That's correct. At the Australian side they will simply scan your passports and stamp entries in. They don't check visa labels (they scan the machine readable zone of the passport and they can see the visa details).

Also, Australian airports don't stamp exits any more. There's no stamp when exiting from Australia.

Good luck

Keep at least $1000-2000 in cash.

I tried NAB bank to open an account, but the forms is asking about address, phone numbers etc....I think australian..which I dont have right now.

So what to do with it

Bro

I mentioned my pk address and mobile number which they accepted. After landing i got my details updated. Not an issue at all

You can open any bank account when you land in Australia.

Other than the fact that NAB doesn't have fees on its standard "Classic Banking" accounts, there is no huge difference in the level of service across the "Big 4" Australian banks.

I have my primary accounts with ANZ, and a credit card from Commonwealth Bank. Both provide a good level of service, and I personally find both CBA and ANZ have wider ATM coverage (although NAB has expanded in recent times due to their partnership with Bank of Queensland for ATMs). In my experience, CBA, ANZ and WestPac have wider ATM coverage in some areas, but the banks also have a habit of ATM crowding (they tend to set up ATMs around each other's machines) so if there's one bank's ATM at a location, others are likely to be in the vicinity as well.

Take 100 points of ID (Passport, visa grant letter, NICOP or some form of alternative ID etc) and they will set you up with an account on-the-spot usually, and your ATM/Debit card will follow in the mail. Sometimes you can ask the bank to hold the card for you and you can collect it from the branch you opened the account at. You don't even need to have a minimum deposit to open an account here unlike Pakistan.

Be aware though that banks will not usually issue you a credit card till you get an income source that generates income in Australia.

That's correct. At the Australian side they will simply scan your passports and stamp entries in. They don't check visa labels (they scan the machine readable zone of the passport and they can see the visa details).

Also, Australian airports don't stamp exits any more. There's no stamp when exiting from Australia.

Keep at least $1000-2000 in cash.

If they dont stamp exit anymore, how would they know we are availabe in Australia or not? How they calculate the number of years we spent in Australia for Citizenship?

Thanks for more a detailed reply twister292. Apart that, can anyone with IT background shed some light how good is the market these days? My husband is a software engr with arnd 6+ yrs of experience. Any tips and suggestions for job hunt? We have been applying from offshore for past 2 mths but no real time responses yet

I tried NAB bank to open an account, but the forms is asking about address, phone numbers etc....I think australian..which I dont have right now.

So what to do with it

We opened a NAB account from abroad and used friend`s Australian address. However, you can use your home address and just update on arrival as Shawais said. Here is a link to their migrant banking website:

http://migrant.nabgroup.com/en

you`ll get an account number and you can transfer money to that account, but you won`t be able to withdraw until you go personally to the bank and they activate your debit card ( which will be waiting for you already and you can start using it the same day).

So, guys and girls, the time has come and we are finally moving :jiggy:. Leaving Houston on March 31st, going to Toronto to visit family, going to Vienna from there to visit family, will spend about 2 months just chilling, can`t wait! Arriving in Australia on June 1st :yes:

If they dont stamp exit anymore, how would they know we are availabe in Australia or not? How they calculate the number of years we spent in Australia for Citizenship?

They still flag you as departed when you leave. They scan the passport and flag the person as "departed", just like they always do. The only thing they skip is the physical stamp of exiting on the passport booklet.