gr8leo87

I'll add something from my experience here (been in Australia since early 2007, right now on holiday to Pakistan)...

Australian English is informal, and like any other country, there are localised terms for a number of things. For example, "servo" means petrol pump (they're also called petrol stations, but the term "petrol pump" is used and understood widely too). "Arvo" means afternoon, and "tea" could mean dinner or the drink ("I invited them over for evening tea" = "I invited them to dinner"). "Chocky" means chocolate, a "slab" is a pack of 24 beer bottles (each bottle is called a "stubbie"), but a 24-pack of Pepsi/Coke or any soft drink is a "crate".

Australian slang has a lot of shortened words, usually ending with "y" or "o". For example, "ambo" = ambulance, "avo"= avocado and so on.

Australians are quite casual in both dressing and language. Australian vernacular is not particularly formal or flashy. However, people do understand and go along fine with any form of English.

That said, be aware that the version of English taught and used in Pakistan is both outdated and too formal for Australia.

For example, emails are signed off here with "Regards" as a formal closure or "Cheers" for people who are comfortable enough.

In general usage, it is not unusual for people to refer to both males or females as "mate".

Colleagues call each other by name, even for senior ones. It is extremely rare and considered out of place to use terms like "Boss" or "Sir", especially among the Anglo-Australians.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll add something from my experience here (been in Australia since early 2007, right now on holiday to Pakistan)...

Australian English is informal, and like any other country, there are localised terms for a number of things. For example, "servo" means petrol pump (they're also called petrol stations, but the term "petrol pump" is used and understood widely too). "Arvo" means afternoon, and "tea" could mean dinner or the drink ("I invited them over for evening tea" = "I invited them to dinner"). "Chocky" means chocolate, a "slab" is a pack of 24 beer bottles (each bottle is called a "stubbie"), but a 24-pack of Pepsi/Coke or any soft drink is a "crate".

Australian slang has a lot of shortened words, usually ending with "y" or "o". For example, "ambo" = ambulance, "avo"= avocado and so on.

Australians are quite casual in both dressing and language. Australian vernacular is not particularly formal or flashy. However, people do understand and go along fine with any form of English.

That said, be aware that the version of English taught and used in Pakistan is both outdated and too formal for Australia.

For example, emails are signed off here with "Regards" as a formal closure or "Cheers" for people who are comfortable enough.

In general usage, it is not unusual for people to refer to both males or females as "mate".

Colleagues call each other by name, even for senior ones. It is extremely rare and considered out of place to use terms like "Boss" or "Sir", especially among the Anglo-Australians.

Pretty useful information!

Having said that, new immigrants should not worry much about it. You get used to it when you live in the environment. I personally had that experience when I went to Scotland for my masters and it took me a month or so to understand the Scottish English! :cool: Working part-time as shop assistant helped me a lot as I was interacting with the customers on daily basis.

The mantra is... the more you interact with the locals (Australians, not Asians), the more you get comfortable with their language.

This is a wonderful forum with people helping out:laugh:,Alhamdulillah,got my grant on 6/2/14:notworthy:

hello, I am new to the forum and came across your first posting stating how you were requested for additional evidence for work experience. I delighted you now have your visa - do you mind me asking how much information and what kind of things were you able to provide to your case officer?

We we have just been asked to provide evidence via taxation documents, payslips, bank statements. Some of which are proving very difficult to track down having living overseas and bank accounts now being closed and working in tax free jurisdictions so not paying tax. I'm guess I'm just nervous whether what I have found will be enough.

Hi Shariq,

I've been working on Perth flights as well from Kuwait. Almost all flights go from DXB in Middle East. Choices are Cathay, Malaysia and Singapore: If you want to break your flight. Else, choices are Emirates and Qatar: If you want a direct flight (11 hours).

I did all my research with Expedia to find the best combination, as I preferred to break my long flight. Here is my itinerary:

KWT>DXB: Kuwait Airways

DXB>Singapore and Singapore>Perth: Singapore Airline

Then I will travel to Melbourne by Virgin Atlantic. Afterwards:

MEL>Malaysia and Malaysia>DXB: Malaysian Airline

then back to Kuwait using Emirates

In a nutshell: Find your best combination yourself on Expedia and take it to travel agency for connecting it with Saudi/Pakistan. They will give you better quotation as compare to expedia (hopefully).

Regards,

Noman

Guys, If I am flying from Riyadh to Perth, and then perth to Karachi .. i would want to avail connecting flights to get a cheaper solution from cathay/Qantas. Your valuable inputs are required here :)

hello, I am new to the forum and came across your first posting stating how you were requested for additional evidence for work experience. I delighted you now have your visa - do you mind me asking how much information and what kind of things were you able to provide to your case officer?

We we have just been asked to provide evidence via taxation documents, payslips, bank statements. Some of which are proving very difficult to track down having living overseas and bank accounts now being closed and working in tax free jurisdictions so not paying tax. I'm guess I'm just nervous whether what I have found will be enough.

In my case, I claimed 8 year experience in two companies A & B, and provided following documents:

1. Experience letters with responsibilities (A and B).

2. Training certificates around 6 (4 from A and 2 from B)

3. Visiting Cards (A and B)

4. Tax documents (last 2 years only from B)

5. Salary Slips (last 2 years only from B)

6. Bank Statement (last years only from B)

7. Annual appraisal letters (2 from A, 3 from B)

8. Job Offer Letter (only from B)

My CO never asked any more documents, neither my employer received any verification call.

In my case, I claimed 8 year experience in two companies A & B, and provided following documents:

1. Experience letters with responsibilities (A and B).

2. Training certificates around 6 (4 from A and 2 from B)

3. Visiting Cards (A and B)

4. Tax documents (last 2 years only from B)

5. Salary Slips (last 2 years only from B)

6. Bank Statement (last years only from B)

7. Annual appraisal letters (2 from A, 3 from B)

8. Job Offer Letter (only from B)

My CO never asked any more documents, neither my employer received any verification call.

Hello SMShoaib, thanks of much for this. I hadn't even considered training certificates and some of the other things you mentioned. I can definitely dig out some of those. Thank you.

Dear Forum Friends,

Its now three months since I am in Melbourne with no success in job.

I am having interviews with recruiting agencies but no direct recruitment. The industry is fine and many jobs do advertise but despite of having all the key selection criteria they reject.

Rest weather us excellent, from centrelink monthly payment we receive is $ 1300 including family tax benefit a and family tax benefit b and rent assistance for couples and two children.

Rest it's an expensive country for whom who have no job and who is new.

My number is 0426883647 name Raza ...

Thanks special prays for 047.

Hello SMShoaib, thanks of much for this. I hadn't even considered training certificates and some of the other things you mentioned. I can definitely dig out some of those. Thank you.

Hello 4foradventure. in case if you are unable to arrange the documents provide your CO with the statutory declaration that might help. wherever the document are concerns like salary slips and bank statement that can be arranged. which city you are from and what is the name of your employer and bank may be i can help.

Dear Fellas,

just want it share some information which i was searching for long time and did not had any concreat answer for a long time.

normally primary applicant travel before secondary but in my case it is different as i m the secondary applicant. It all depends on CO either he has put the condition on your visa or not. one of my friend had a condition "Visa Conditions 8502 - NO ENTRY BEFORE A SPECIFIED PERSON" on his grant letter, that mean in his case primary applicant has to travel first. However, i was lucky and my CO did not put an such condition and our grant letter had NIL against condition. Inspite of that i raised a question to my CO after getting Grant and his reply was great "I have not placed any conditions on your visa (except for the mandatory Initial Entry Date condition) which means that your family can arrive in any order.".

I hope it will help other...

Cheers...

Dear Forum Friends,

Its now three months since I am in Melbourne with no success in job.

I am having interviews with recruiting agencies but no direct recruitment. The industry is fine and many jobs do advertise but despite of having all the key selection criteria they reject.

Rest weather us excellent, from centrelink monthly payment we receive is $ 1300 including family tax benefit a and family tax benefit b and rent assistance for couples and two children.

Rest it's an expensive country for whom who have no job and who is new.

My number is 0426883647 name Raza ...

Thanks special prays for 047.

No worries Mate,

You are not alone. I am here in Perth since May 2013 but no job in my own profession but I am doing something else since august so things are still moving in monetary terms. Just don't give up on applying and think about having some business etc to make some extra income.

Regards

Dear Fellas,

just want it share some information which i was searching for long time and did not had any concreat answer for a long time.

normally primary applicant travel before secondary but in my case it is different as i m the secondary applicant. It all depends on CO either he has put the condition on your visa or not. one of my friend had a condition "Visa Conditions 8502 - NO ENTRY BEFORE A SPECIFIED PERSON" on his grant letter, that mean in his case primary applicant has to travel first. However, i was lucky and my CO did not put an such condition and our grant letter had NIL against condition. Inspite of that i raised a question to my CO after getting Grant and his reply was great "I have not placed any conditions on your visa (except for the mandatory Initial Entry Date condition) which means that your family can arrive in any order.".

I hope it will help other...

Cheers...

Brother i got 190 visa but there was no condition like this and usually on visa stamp or grant no such condition is written ( never seen or heard till now). As all of you have been granted visa anyone of you can come first to best of my knowledge

guys a query...can we submit wife's IELTS transcript after CO's allocation...My friend is submitting his Visa application today and he has to submit all the documents within 28 days of visa application (according to my understanding). His wife will appear for IELTS in march and by then the deadline for 28 days would be over...

guys a query...can we submit wife's IELTS transcript after CO's allocation...My friend is submitting his Visa application today and he has to submit all the documents within 28 days of visa application (according to my understanding). His wife will appear for IELTS in march and by then the deadline for 28 days would be over...

Yes. His wife's IELTS can be of any date but main applicant's IELTS date must be earlier than Visa Application Date.

If he cannot provide his wife's IELTS within 28 days, he should inform CO explaining the situation and also send IELTS Registration Receipt as a proof.

All secondary applicant 18 year and above has to provide IELTS for proving competency in English. If not, then they have to attend English courses after landing in Australia. But it did not affect the scoring of primary applicant.

Usually, CO check the document once it is assigned to that application and if something is missing they ask you to provide the missing document. Defiantly they can provide/upload ILETS test result later, as document upload option are available all the time.

Just make sure to mark the English competency of Secondary applicant as competent. So CO will ask this later to provide prove or ask to pay second installment for English course.

All secondary applicant 18 year and above has to provide IELTS for proving competency in English. If not, then they have to attend English courses after landing in Australia. But it did not affect the scoring of primary applicant.

Usually, CO check the document once it is assigned to that application and if something is missing they ask you to provide the missing document. Defiantly they can provide/upload ILETS test result later, as document upload option are available all the time.

Just make sure to mark the English competency of Secondary applicant as competent. So CO will ask this later to provide prove or ask to pay second installment for English course.

bro are you sure that the secondary applicant has to have "competent english" which is 6 band in IELTS...I thought it was functional english which is 4.5 band in IELTS..

Archived