• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a heads up..

I got a job in Broken Hill, NSW. =)

Between 30th Aug and now, I supported myself through tuition and assignment helps =D

Congrats on your new job! Hope everything goes well for you.

Would be great if you could post few tips or your experiences searching the job and what was your monthly living expense since Aug 30 till now.

Thanks

Just a heads up..

I got a job in Broken Hill, NSW. =)

Between 30th Aug and now, I supported myself through tuition and assignment helps =D

Congrats on a great start.

Please do share with us some useful tips for job hunting and living expenses...

Dear Friends,

:-) I've been to moon and back.. Agent told me today that there is no Medical/PCC request yet from the CO. He also recommended strongly that "NOT" to ignore his recommendation to go for Medical at this stage without CO's consent.

I will now try to go in Sleep Mode for next 20 days. I understand that if nothing happens by 1st week of December things may postponed to mid of Jan 2014 due their holiday season. In the meantime I will try to finalize PCC thing.

ICT Business Analyst | Visa: 176 SS(WA) Applied MAY2012 | Form80 sent JUN2012 | Waiting..

Dear Friends,

I was casually checking my E-Business Systems and I found out that my Medical has been requested on 25th Oct 2013. My agent is not available till Monday so I cannot check if it's a Med/PCC call or just an activation due to my recent request (remember they refused on 24th).

They generated HAP ID for only me. There is no "Organize your health examinations" link for my wife and baby.

By the way, I am in Kuwait and not in Pak to contact IOM. I will wait for my agent response on Monday and will go to Hadi Clinic (on panel) for further information. Do you guys think that my HAP ID is enough to activate HAP ID for my wife and baby without COs intervention.

Best regards,

ICT Business Analyst | Visa: 176 SS(WA) Applied MAY2012 | Form80 sent JUN2012 | Waiting..

Dear Friends,

:-) I've been to moon and back.. Agent told me today that there is no Medical/PCC request yet from the CO. He also recommended strongly that "NOT" to ignore his recommendation to go for Medical at this stage without CO's consent.

I will now try to go in Sleep Mode for next 20 days. I understand that if nothing happens by 1st week of December things may postponed to mid of Jan 2014 due their holiday season. In the meantime I will try to finalize PCC thing.

Its only 16 months of SC and you are becoming impatient bro..Look at my timeline and decide..don't be impatient by looking at others getting grants..You will get your medical call soon InshaAllah

Its only 16 months of SC and you are becoming impatient bro..Look at my timeline and decide..don't be impatient by looking at others getting grants..You will get your medical call soon InshaAllah

Fabregas, what did Team 13 ask you about?

I was also contacted by team 13 and am still on the wait for a silver email. It's going to be almost 3 months now :dull:. Getting very frustrated and restless now a days and cannot focus on work that much. The wait is killing me.

Fabregas, what did Team 13 ask you about?

I was also contacted by team 13 and am still on the wait for a silver email. It's going to be almost 3 months now :dull:. Getting very frustrated and restless now a days and cannot focus on work that much. The wait is killing me.

They asked me about employment/study gaps, Siblings country of residence, few clarifications regarding my current job, Passport details ever held.

you will get your silver email soon InshaAllah..

Congrats on a great start.

Please do share with us some useful tips for job hunting and living expenses...

Since I am single, my weekly expenses were around $200 inc. travel and everything. I was sharing a $340 per week unit with 3 other folks, grocery came down to $70 per two weeks.. travel around $30 to $40, electricity $100 per 3 months. (travelled only to city and back every now and then)..

It really depends how efficiently you live really..

Regarding Job, I was primarily looking with accountancy and internal auditing (operational/financial / IT Auditing) field. If you're from a Big 4 audit practice background, you will have less issue finding a job. You might not even need local experience. Same goes for Fortune 500 firms as well to a lesser extent. Everywhere else, you need some local experience. In my case, I started part time with local financial services firm (I knew some people over there..) at minimum wage then landed a proper full time job.

In any case, if you're apply for an accountant role, you need to know ins and outs of;

- MYOB

- Accounts Payable/Receivable

- BAS/FBT/PAYG

That's about it.

For other roles like Internal and IT Auditing or external auditing, you should have enough certifications enable you to enroll in CA or CPA Professional level examinations.

MBA or any other masters degree is will make you overqualified for most of the position over here. So remove that from your resume' and apply on the basis of your bachelor's + any certifications you have. It will increase your odds. Additionally, spend time on customising your cover letter and resume' for each job. I was able to apply for 5 categories of jobs, Internal Audit, IT Audit, Systems Accountant, Financial Accountant and Compliance roles.. despite that I had over 20 types of resume's saved on my PC.

Finally, where you live matters too. In Sydney, for example, there are areas that are not well known for their reputation. If you have that address on your resume', do not expect to get any call from recruiters. As a recent migrant, you have better chance at applying directly than through the recruiter. Because right now, Job market is intensely competitive. If you're not bringing any niche', rest assured, there are tens of guys like you.

So,

- Bring niche' in your resume'. That something which no one else has.

- Impress recruiters with practical examples from your past experience. Make it a performance appraisal than an informal interview.

- Have thought provoking open ended questions. I didn't realize that in the beginning but they have much 'higher' impact than you think.

Finally, be prepared to wait. Hiring starts in Feb to May and Aug to Oct (sometimes in Nov) within Finance over here.

If you're in Internal Audit, IT audit or any other field besides Financial Accounting, you need to bring as many certifications as you can. Delay your arrival if you don't have certifications but get them. They really help out. These are, I think, the only niche' available to migrants without local experience.

One final thing;

You need to be adequately experience. Not too much and not too less. I mean around 5 years experience sounds great on resume'.

Because, all entry level jobs go to Graduates. All mid-tier to high-tier jobs go to experience graduates and other folks willing to switch. So it's really hard for someone who doesn't have local experience to butt in.

Thanks for a very helpful and insightful explanation. Best wishes.

Since I am single, my weekly expenses were around $200 inc. travel and everything. I was sharing a $340 per week unit with 3 other folks, grocery came down to $70 per two weeks.. travel around $30 to $40, electricity $100 per 3 months. (travelled only to city and back every now and then)..

It really depends how efficiently you live really..

Regarding Job, I was primarily looking with accountancy and internal auditing (operational/financial / IT Auditing) field. If you're from a Big 4 audit practice background, you will have less issue finding a job. You might not even need local experience. Same goes for Fortune 500 firms as well to a lesser extent. Everywhere else, you need some local experience. In my case, I started part time with local financial services firm (I knew some people over there..) at minimum wage then landed a proper full time job.

In any case, if you're apply for an accountant role, you need to know ins and outs of;

- MYOB

- Accounts Payable/Receivable

- BAS/FBT/PAYG

That's about it.

For other roles like Internal and IT Auditing or external auditing, you should have enough certifications enable you to enroll in CA or CPA Professional level examinations.

MBA or any other masters degree is will make you overqualified for most of the position over here. So remove that from your resume' and apply on the basis of your bachelor's + any certifications you have. It will increase your odds. Additionally, spend time on customising your cover letter and resume' for each job. I was able to apply for 5 categories of jobs, Internal Audit, IT Audit, Systems Accountant, Financial Accountant and Compliance roles.. despite that I had over 20 types of resume's saved on my PC.

Finally, where you live matters too. In Sydney, for example, there are areas that are not well known for their reputation. If you have that address on your resume', do not expect to get any call from recruiters. As a recent migrant, you have better chance at applying directly than through the recruiter. Because right now, Job market is intensely competitive. If you're not bringing any niche', rest assured, there are tens of guys like you.

So,

- Bring niche' in your resume'. That something which no one else has.

- Impress recruiters with practical examples from your past experience. Make it a performance appraisal than an informal interview.

- Have thought provoking open ended questions. I didn't realize that in the beginning but they have much 'higher' impact than you think.

Finally, be prepared to wait. Hiring starts in Feb to May and Aug to Oct (sometimes in Nov) within Finance over here.

If you're in Internal Audit, IT audit or any other field besides Financial Accounting, you need to bring as many certifications as you can. Delay your arrival if you don't have certifications but get them. They really help out. These are, I think, the only niche' available to migrants without local experience.

One final thing;

You need to be adequately experience. Not too much and not too less. I mean around 5 years experience sounds great on resume'.

Because, all entry level jobs go to Graduates. All mid-tier to high-tier jobs go to experience graduates and other folks willing to switch. So it's really hard for someone who doesn't have local experience to butt in.

She told I m not in the priority processing for grant and appreciated my patience :(

This happened last year also when they run out of visas for FS sponsored applicants but in Jan 13, all the pending applicants got their medical calls / grants. So keep your hopes high and establish your contact with other FS sponsored applicants. Links are given in the time sheet.

Since I am single, my weekly expenses were around $200 inc. travel and everything. I was sharing a $340 per week unit with 3 other folks, grocery came down to $70 per two weeks.. travel around $30 to $40, electricity $100 per 3 months. (travelled only to city and back every now and then).. It really depends how efficiently you live really.. Regarding Job, I was primarily looking with accountancy and internal auditing (operational/financial / IT Auditing) field. If you're from a Big 4 audit practice background, you will have less issue finding a job. You might not even need local experience. Same goes for Fortune 500 firms as well to a lesser extent. Everywhere else, you need some local experience. In my case, I started part time with local financial services firm (I knew some people over there..) at minimum wage then landed a proper full time job. In any case, if you're apply for an accountant role, you need to know ins and outs of; - MYOB - Accounts Payable/Receivable- BAS/FBT/PAYG That's about it. For other roles like Internal and IT Auditing or external auditing, you should have enough certifications enable you to enroll in CA or CPA Professional level examinations. MBA or any other masters degree is will make you overqualified for most of the position over here. So remove that from your resume' and apply on the basis of your bachelor's + any certifications you have. It will increase your odds. Additionally, spend time on customising your cover letter and resume' for each job. I was able to apply for 5 categories of jobs, Internal Audit, IT Audit, Systems Accountant, Financial Accountant and Compliance roles.. despite that I had over 20 types of resume's saved on my PC. Finally, where you live matters too. In Sydney, for example, there are areas that are not well known for their reputation. If you have that address on your resume', do not expect to get any call from recruiters. As a recent migrant, you have better chance at applying directly than through the recruiter. Because right now, Job market is intensely competitive. If you're not bringing any niche', rest assured, there are tens of guys like you. So, - Bring niche' in your resume'. That something which no one else has. - Impress recruiters with practical examples from your past experience. Make it a performance appraisal than an informal interview. - Have thought provoking open ended questions. I didn't realize that in the beginning but they have much 'higher' impact than you think. Finally, be prepared to wait. Hiring starts in Feb to May and Aug to Oct (sometimes in Nov) within Finance over here. If you're in Internal Audit, IT audit or any other field besides Financial Accounting, you need to bring as many certifications as you can. Delay your arrival if you don't have certifications but get them. They really help out. These are, I think, the only niche' available to migrants without local experience.One final thing;You need to be adequately experience. Not too much and not too less. I mean around 5 years experience sounds great on resume'. Because, all entry level jobs go to Graduates. All mid-tier to high-tier jobs go to experience graduates and other folks willing to switch. So it's really hard for someone who doesn't have local experience to butt in.
Hi Rezasol,Thanks for your insight.I will be landing in Sydney. Do you mind telling us those Sydney areas that are not supposed to be mentioned in resume.

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for writing to explain your circumstances.* Your feedback has been escalated to me for reply as I am B K's supervisor.

Australia runs a demand driven Skilled Migration Program to meet the current and emerging skill needs of the Australian labour market and to strengthen the whole economy.* Skilled migration policies are tailored to meet this objective and have always changed to reflect the prevailing economic conditions of the time.

The Australian Government understands that migration is a major life decision.* Australia is fortunate in that the number of people seeking skilled migration far exceeds the number of places available in the program.* The Department of Immigration and Citizenship can only grant the number of visas allocated by the Government in the annual migration program and so must prioritise the order in which skilled migration applications are processed through priority processing arrangements.* Priority processing arrangements ensure that the economy gets the skills it needs now, rather than those of visa applicants who applied first.

The Government is aware that priority processing impacts on many applicants who will have a longer wait for their visas to be processed.* However, the Government must also take into account the effect of the difficult labour market conditions which migrants, Australian permanent residents and citizens currently face.

The Department is unable to give specific timeframes for when individual applications will be finalised, as this will depend on when the person applied and how many applications are received in higher priority groups.* It is not possible to process applications outside of the priority processing arrangements.

Kind Regards

CH

Manager – Team 2

General Skilled Migration – Adelaide

Department of Immigration and Border Protection

One final thing;

Great Information thank a lot for sharing........

Hi

Can some one guide on the following queries, specially the one relating to bank account.

1. Do we need to close bank accounts, is it mandatory? HSBC says I can keep the bank account open and no need to cancel the credit cards as well and I can use them in OZ.

Really made me confused, probably they wont have any problem, but at airport the might check ? If my residency visa is to be cancelled for UAE, how can I keep the hsbc ban k account and credit card active ?

2. I dont think so there is need to cancel sim card. Right ?

3. One other hurdle is if in case I do cancel the credit cards, would it still be possible to book through booking.com. I know hotel just blocks the amount and deducts it when we actually reach at the hotel. So in this case, how can the credit card be cancelled when some amount is already blocked on it. Also can I do booking though credit card on booking.com but pay to the hotel in cash.

4. Cancelling tenancy contract and having all documentation proof.

5. Visa , labour card and emirates id cancellation and documentation proof.

6. Driving license no need to be cancelled.

Thanks for help and feel free to add any thing which need to be done while moving out of UAE.

My answers in red below....

Hi

Can some one guide on the following queries, specially the one relating to bank account.

1. Do we need to close bank accounts, is it mandatory? HSBC says I can keep the bank account open and no need to cancel the credit cards as well and I can use them in OZ.

Really made me confused, probably they wont have any problem, but at airport the might check ? If my residency visa is to be cancelled for UAE, how can I keep the hsbc ban k account and credit card active ? Ideally the credit cards should be cancelled while leaving the country, but I have seen a few people not doing that and the cards remain active. You can buy stuff, the only problem will be how to make the payment? I personally would feel secure with a credit card in my pocket. What about getting it from Pak if you plan to go for a short time there.

2. I dont think so there is need to cancel sim card. Right ? Sim will be automatically blocked after 6 months.

3. One other hurdle is if in case I do cancel the credit cards, would it still be possible to book through booking.com. I know hotel just blocks the amount and deducts it when we actually reach at the hotel. So in this case, how can the credit card be cancelled when some amount is already blocked on it. Also can I do booking though credit card on booking.com but pay to the hotel in cash. If you cancel your credit card you can use a friends credit card or even your home countries debit card for the purchase.

4. Cancelling tenancy contract and having all documentation proof. Yes, cancel tenancy contract ASAP. Usually they have a notice period of 2 to 3 months and failing to inform them in advance can prove to be costly to you.

5. Visa , labour card and emirates id cancellation and documentation proof. Your employer will take care of this, it is his headache.

6. Driving license no need to be cancelled. Don't even think about cancelling your driving license. It is of great use and even if you decide to come back to UAE after 20 years, you can just get it renewed.

Thanks for help and feel free to add any thing which need to be done while moving out of UAE.

My answers in red below....

Thanks for your replies.

1. Actually HSBC bank says we can make payment in our account from anywhere in the world. Just we need to make account active by doing transactions at times. But your suggestion of getting credit card from Pak is good one. How much time usually it takes to get credit card from banks in Pakistan ( I already have accounts in some of the banks there) ?

Also we can use Credit card from Pakistan and do transactions in OZ and we can make payment either online or through money transfer to our Paki account (by setting credit card payment to auto deduct on 100%). Using a credit card and bank account from Pak seems to much safer option than using UAE bank cards, because in UAE everything is tied up to our sponsorship residence visa. So thanks for this suggestion and other replies :)

Bank Account in UAE:

I had account in Dubai Islamic Bank. I clearly remember that I closed the account but for some reason it wasn't. when I wanted to get the bank Statement in 2012, I found out that I need to pay them 1200 DHS as the maintenance charges for keeping this account. You can never close it in your absence. So think twice.

Credit Card in Pakistan:

I came to know that although you have an account in Pakistan, you can not avail the credit card facility being Non-Resident Pakistani. So let me know if any bank allows this. I didn't check about prepaid master/visa card but would love to know if this is available in Pakistan.

Related queries..

1) Can anyone survive without credit card(cash only) in OZ for early days? Rent a car, hotel booking etc.

2) If we put substantial amount in one of OZ bank, will they issue credit card right away or they will need evidence of salary etc.

Driving License:

When I came to Kuwait they took my UAE license and issue me Kuwaiti license. They will see your UAE license to allow you to skip classes. I don't know if they will keep it before issuing OZ license or not.

Regards,

Thanks for your replies.

1. Actually HSBC bank says we can make payment in our account from anywhere in the world. Just we need to make account active by doing transactions at times. But your suggestion of getting credit card from Pak is good one. How much time usually it takes to get credit card from banks in Pakistan ( I already have accounts in some of the banks there) ?

Also we can use Credit card from Pakistan and do transactions in OZ and we can make payment either online or through money transfer to our Paki account (by setting credit card payment to auto deduct on 100%). Using a credit card and bank account from Pak seems to much safer option than using UAE bank cards, because in UAE everything is tied up to our sponsorship residence visa. So thanks for this suggestion and other replies :)

Archived