Luggage Allowance????

Chorley FM

Hi all, just joined and am looking for some advice looks like a great site, could be spending a long time on here soon arranging meets etc!!

Me and my partner put in a PR visa last year with a migration agent (based in the UK) and have been eagerly waiting for it to be granted... The Mrs has been offered a job and we are being sponsored (457). So we will be packing up in the next month!!!

I'm having trouble with airlines not recognizing my Visa as permanent (probably because it's not!!!) We're desperate to try and get some extra luggage allowance (40kg or so) and have been unsuccessful so far. They say you need indefinate leave to remain in Australia which we wont have until the Skilled Migration Visa arrives witch could be next year!

Spent an hour on the phone to Singapore airlines yesterday was trying so hard the even the ever so polite gentlemen on the phone was starting to get annoyed! :chatterbox:

Anybody have any advice? I'm open to any ideas...

Rob

Yeah i was thinking about Emirates... They only fly the A380 between UK and Dubai ;-(. The last couple of times i have been to Australia i have been on the A380 (Singapore Airlines) and it's amazing. I will give Emirates a ring later though see what they can do...

Cheers

Steen, the first time i flew to Aus i went with BA down to LHR then onto Singapore, BA wanthed to charge me as i think they only have a 15KG max on domestic flights. I had a word with the supervisor he contacted Singapore Airlines, and it they checked my luggage all the way to AUS (so i never saw it in LHR) and never charged me a thing. Might be worth a try when you go!

Singapore won't give you the extra because the 457 is classed as a temp visa. If you have PR and have already validated you may also struggle to get the allowance. You could take the chance of turning up with extra baggage, but it's very expensive if they charge you the extra.

Guest LondonTom
Yeah i was thinking about Emirates... They only fly the A380 between UK and Dubai ;-(. The last couple of times i have been to Australia i have been on the A380 (Singapore Airlines) and it's amazing. I will give Emirates a ring later though see what they can do...

Cheers

Hi Chorley,

Emirates do not only fly the A380 between the UK and Dubai. They use several different aircraft including the 777-200, 777-300 and occasionally the A330.

They are also notoriously bad for last minute aircraft changes. The business & first classes on all of these aircraft vary considerably and you can easily end up on a clapped up A330 when you booked the A380 (something that has happened to me several times!)

Kind regards

Tom

Steen, the first time i flew to Aus i went with BA down to LHR then onto Singapore, BA wanthed to charge me as i think they only have a 15KG max on domestic flights. I had a word with the supervisor he contacted Singapore Airlines, and it they checked my luggage all the way to AUS (so i never saw it in LHR) and never charged me a thing. Might be worth a try when you go!

I think BA and Singapore (and others) have an arrangement at LHR which allows luggage to be checked through even when on other airlines. Unfortunately I doubt Ryanair would ever have that! We're actually going to Ireland for a few days to say goodbye to the wifes folks before we go so couldn't do that anyway.

It may even work out cheaper to go over with hand luggage then come back to the uk to pick up the rest.

Sorry to chip in but can someone clarify the baggage allowance on Singapore Air for a person with Aus citizenship traveling on a one way ticket?

Thanks

20Kg. the same as any other economy passenger I'm afraid..

I think all airlines flying in to Australia not only offer but are required to offer the extra baggage allowance. It come from an Australia government regulation (although I can't find the details) rather than the airlines largess so it is quite restrictive to the exact rules set by the government. To qualify you must be flying on a one way ticket and you must have PR not a temporary visa and you be using your PR visa for the first time (hence migrating after validating doesn't qualify boo hoo).

Hi all, I travelled last week with emirates and booked in January. I tried everything to get the extra allowance but they just wouldn't budge. They said they use to but not anymore! 

I packed and was about 20kg. Having a small heart attack on what to do, I decided to just go with it and try and persuade them at the desk.

I didn't need to panic they didn't even bat an eyelid when I checked in. Happy days!!!! 

Guest HavenMarra

Cheers

The 777-300ER goes Glasgow - Dubai (and Dubai - Brissy) for Emirates. I'll be on it on Saturday!!

We are getting 30kg (plus 7kg hand luggage).

I've never been able to hit 20kg in a bag flying anywhere. As much as I've tried. One trip back from Aus a while back I got to 18.5kg and that was with a number of hardcover books in the checked luggage.

Now they limit you to x amount of bags you just can't get many that will squish in 20kg worth of clothes. This is the woman who bought the largest holdall she could find and still only got 15kg of clothes in it. Although I am sure you can get massive suitcases I can't recall airlines having a bag size limit, dimension wise.

Check and see how much the charge is per kilo over. It might be worth being a few over and paying the difference. Although again, if you can fill a bag so heavy with clothes, good luck to you. I'm the woman who packs the kitchen sink and then some and I've never gone over, but believe me I try to get my monies worth :biggrin:

Hi,

We're looking at flying with Singapore airlines but starting in Edinburgh which will be a different carrier but booked through Singapore airlines as a whole trip from edinburgh to Adelaide, we were hoping that means we can check bags for the whole trip and get our international luggage weight from Ddinbych, is that want you did?

Thanks

Gill x

Guest destinationoz

Just wondered - How do flight companies know when you book and ask for extra allowance that you have already validated (if you have) - do you have to tell them??!

Hi,

We're looking at flying with Singapore airlines but starting in Edinburgh which will be a different carrier but booked through Singapore airlines as a whole trip from edinburgh to Adelaide, we were hoping that means we can check bags for the whole trip and get our international luggage weight from Ddinbych, is that want you did?

Thanks

Gill x

Yeah that's what we did... they wanted to charge me at first though!

Guest Sam C

Also jumping on this (sorry Chorley FM!), just to clarify then - hoping my 309/100 Spouse visa is granted - flying on a one-way ticket, could I potentially get extra luggage allowance? Or because it's initially a temp visa for 2 years does this mean i'm stuffed?

Also jumping on this (sorry Chorley FM!), just to clarify then - hoping my 309/100 Spouse visa is granted - flying on a one-way ticket, could I potentially get extra luggage allowance? Or because it's initially a temp visa for 2 years does this mean i'm stuffed?

If you're given the 309 temporary visa, you are unlikely to get the extra baggage allowance.

Just wondered - How do flight companies know when you book and ask for extra allowance that you have already validated (if you have) - do you have to tell them??!

They don't know at time of booking, but when you try to check in they can see your visa status (and whether or not it has already been validated).

Yeah your stuffed like me, i'm looking to get excess-baggage to send the extra 40kg in clothes its 198 pounds and will b there in 7-14 days, then the rest of the stuff with voovit witch takes 3 months

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Guest ezzybee

I think it depends who you talk to!! Ive been in Melbourne a month now and still living out of my suitcase!

I went from LHR to MEL with Singapore Airlines. We had flown with them before and my partner managed to get us all an extra 5kg of weigh eacht so between 4 that was an extra 20kg for free, which was pretty good! Plus our daughter is only 3 so she didnt have much!! We had 8kg hand laugauge, plus laptop which we filled with box etc and a portable DVD player for the kids which went though an extra piece of hand lauguage with my son, made out it was a laptop! Also a buggy a a rather over filled hand bag!!! We are members of the Krisflyer scheme, which is singapore's loyality scheme, maybe that helped!

We came on a 457 Business Visa. One of the suitcases actually weighed 27kg when I went through - opps but they let it go through no problem!! (Was worried when they weighed them)!

I purchased super lightweight suitcases! Mine came from Matalan they weighed 2.5 kg and the case is massive!!!

What I would say is but all your cosmetics into your shipping container and buy out here! They are expensive here so dont not bring them! My wash bag with new shampoo, shower gel etc and a few other bits weighed 3kg which was a hell of a lot so I put them in the container and just came with bare essentials!

Good Luck x

Guest MontyClaude

We just booked our flights yesterday with IOM and got 40kgs each with qantas. We are going from Ireland to Melbourne, so the Aer Lingus flight to Heathrow is included in that. We were granted PR in Sep 2009 and activated our visa in Mar 2010. They didn't even ask if we'd already been, just wanted our visa numbers. We're 175 though, so maybe that makes a difference.

Archived