Cal2

WOW - where do I start? Basic information needed

Hi everyone,

My husband has just been offered a job in either Canberra (probably) or Manly Sydney (possibly), it's come out of the blue, although we'd started to consider emigrating possibly next year. My husbands 52 and I'm 47. I had a kidney transplant and have remained well for nearly 12 years. We have two primary school aged children and one who's due to go to University this Autumn

Basically I really don't know where to start for information, ie

which visa - does the company sort it out?

do we employ an agent andif so, how do we choose one?

Healthcare I think there's a reciprocal agreement plus medicare which I think is age based, but how much?

Education - would my girls be pretty much on par, ones reception they others year 3

could our son go to Uni in Australia

oh my so much my head's a whirl, the only thing that's straight is that if we get our visa (s) we will go as we thhink it's too good an oppertunity to miss. I really would appreciate any advice, even where to start looking at all the information on these forums

thanks

:confused:

Job offer April 2011, Reccie July 2011, 457 submitted 21/09/2011, my medical only 14/10/11, medical submitted 21/10/11 (IT issues), referred 21/10/11, approved 27/10/11, landed 24/4/12, PR submitted (decision ready) June 2012, PR granted August 2013

Hi everyone,

My husband has just been offered a job in either Canberra (probably) or Manly Sydney (possibly), it's come out of the blue, although we'd started to consider emigrating possibly next year. My husbands 52 and I'm 47. I had a kidney transplant and have remained well for nearly 12 years. We have two primary school aged children and one who's due to go to University this Autumn

Healthcare I think there's a reciprocal agreement plus medicare which I think is age based, but how much?

Education - would my girls be pretty much on par, ones reception they others year 3

oh my so much my head's a whirl, the only thing that's straight is that if we get our visa (s) we will go as we thhink it's too good an oppertunity to miss. I really would appreciate any advice, even where to start looking at all the information on these forums

thanks

Hiya,

I am really new to this whole thing, so have no real advice that would be of any use, but just wanted to say good luck, and am sure lots of other members will have all your questions answered shortly,

Donna:smile:

Donna 32, Terry 31 and Katie 5!:cool:, IELTS Academic Passed 12/03/11, ANMAC approved 27/06/11, WA SS 30/06/11, 176 visa lodged 30/06/11. CO 2/8/11, PCC UK 26/8, PCC cyprus 7/9, meds finalised 31/08/11, visa granted 10/10/11, flight booked 02/03/12.

Hi everyone,

thanks

Canberra is going to be marginally cheaper for you to live in than Manly.

Visa - if you are going to be sponsored on a temporary visa (457) then in NSW you will be paying $4.5k pa per child for school education and in ACT potentially $8 - 10k pa per child (older kids pay more but if your occupation is on SOL then they may waive the fees).

University fees will be considerably more - even if you are a permanent resident you will have to pay upfront although at domestic fee rates (depends on the course and the uni). If your son has A levels he could certainly go to uni in Australia but if you are on a temporary visa he will be charged international student rates ($10k+++ depending on the course etc)

When you say "on a par" educationally, do you mean the year level names or the educational standards? No idea which year they will go into as you havent given their birth dates but year 3 kids in ACT this year will have either turned 8 or be turning 8 by 30 April (in NSW they will have to be turning 8 by 31 July). Kids in kindergarten (first year of full time school) will be turning 5 by those respective dates. Standards wise, most parents find that their kids are ahead of their Aus counterparts.

Healthwise, Aus has a reciprocal medical relationship with UK for "necessary medical treatment" and temporary resident visa holders are recommended (if not required) to take out private health insurance in addition. Your pre-existing condition would have to be declared and anything arising from that may not be covered by insurance.

Living in both places is going to be expensive - for Canberra check out Real estate properties & homes for sale, rent and share for rental properties and for Sydney Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au is a good place to start.

Good luck, looks like you have a lot of stuff to work out.

thanks it's helpful to know where to start

Job offer April 2011, Reccie July 2011, 457 submitted 21/09/2011, my medical only 14/10/11, medical submitted 21/10/11 (IT issues), referred 21/10/11, approved 27/10/11, landed 24/4/12, PR submitted (decision ready) June 2012, PR granted August 2013

Guest MaybeOz

Hello & Welcome to the site.

Good luck with your plans.

Kari :wubclub: