You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest tandcmum

could my husband get work in the mining industry?

Guest tandcmum

we are hopefully heading out to Perth and I am going to be the main Visa applicant as a nurse however am just looking for job options for my other half.

He has a degree in environmental resource management which was a combination of geology, geography, environmental resource, economincs, business management howver altho he has kept his knowledge and interest up to date he has no after degree experience as there was just no oportunities in the UK. He then has a history of retail experience, retail management and also worked as a regional business development manager for an IT company. At the moment he works freelance doing IT repair jobs both domestic and business, IT servicing, PC and network system building and web design

So he's a bit of a jack of all trades and just wondering what kind of work he might be able to get once we are in Perth and wether the mines would be an option for him at all?

thanks

Hello, your partner would have a couple of options. Firstly what springs to mind is Database management, which would suit him if he has any experience with access, acquire etc. Mines do need IT people too, for example:

SEEK - EUC Lead Technician - Boddington Job in Bunbury & South West

Or if he wanted to get back into enviro work he could look for graduate roles (but it depends how long it was since he did his degree). If its been any more than a few years since then it may be worth considering doing a further qualification to bring everything up to date. But even graduate salaries in Oz for enviros are pretty good compared to experienced enviros in the UK.

At the end of the day he will have the opportunity to work for whoever he wants, and job hunting may be more effective for him if he waits until you get here and can meet people face to face (if your finances allow this).

Making some hay whilst the sun shines

Guest tandcmum

yes he will wait until we come over to start looking as I will be coming over with a full time job to start so money will be coming in from the off.

UNfortunatly his degree was done rather a few years back now so yes probably invalid, it's probably going to be about a year till we come over so shall get him to see if there are any OU or college courses he can do to update his skills. I think he was thinking of doing some formal IT qualifications as he is more or less on the job taught and self taught.