You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest OZguy1980

Can someone land directly to NZ after getting Australian PR?

Guest OZguy1980

I have a quick question just for knowledge is that can someone land directly to NZ after getting Australian PR? or it is necessary to land on Australia first to validate the visa?

Guest OZguy1980

No body can answer this?

Guest siamsusie

Hi Oz,

If your Australian visa requires validating then it would have to be done In Australia.

I was under the impression that only if you enjoy Australian citizenship could you work and live in NZ... but I am sure some member will come up with the facts.

Susie x

I have just had a quick look and it appears the latter half of my post isnt correct

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/worktoresidence/caniworkinnz/

People who do not need a visa

You do not need a work visa to work in New Zealand if you are:

• a New Zealand citizen or you hold a New Zealand residence class visa, or
  • an Australian citizen, or the holder of a current Australian permanent residence visa including a current Australian resident return visa. (If there are conditions on your residence visa/resident return visa, then you will require a work visa.)

Hi Oz,

If your Australian visa requires validating then it would have to be done In Australia.

I was under the impression that only if you enjoy Australian citizenship could you work and live in NZ... but I am sure some member will come up with the facts.

Susie x

I have just had a quick look and it appears the latter half of my post isnt correct

Requirements for working towards residence in New Zealand

People who do not need a visa

You do not need a work visa to work in New Zealand if you are:

• a New Zealand citizen or you hold a New Zealand residence class visa, or

• an Australian citizen, or the holder of a current Australian permanent residence visa including a current Australian resident return visa. (If there are conditions on your residence visa/resident return visa, then you will require a work visa.)

Thanks for that :jiggy:

I always assumed that the reciprocal working agreement between Australia and Newzealand only applied to Newzealand citizens and Australian citizens.

You can ignore reality but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality

Thanks for that :jiggy:

I always assumed that the reciprocal working agreement between Australia and Newzealand only applied to Newzealand citizens and Australian citizens.

Actually its like NZ citizens can work in Australia.

But Australian citizens and permanent residents can both work in New Zealand.

Its also worth noting that if you have an Australian PR ..and you live in New Zealand for 4 years.. you will be a kiwi citizen.

ICAA Skills assessment as Accountant: 11/09, Applied 175 CSL Jan '10, IELTS: 8.5 overall, CO: 03/10, Medicals Fin. 04/10, Internal checks: Completed, Stuck with external checks. :mad: Meds Again: 7/11, Grant: 5/9/11!!! :D

You need to activate your Australian visa in Australia ... they are different countries after all ;)

I am not sure I would go and live in NZ on my australian visa because once the five years on the visa is up it its going to be hard to maintain status in either country.

Unless you validate your Australian Visa it won't be activated and there not classed as being in use.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Unless you validate your Australian Visa it won't be activated and there not classed as being in use.

I agree.

If you have an Australian PR visa validate the visa in Australia.

Once you have validated

It is good to know that you have the option to work in both countries.

The time spent living in newzealand does not count if you apply to become an Australian citizen.

You can ignore reality but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality

Guest OZguy1980

What is the validation actually? Land on Sydney airport,get stamped visa on your passport and fly to Auckland from another plan?