What are my rights now - not student, not (yet) resident, wanting to study ?!

Guest coltrane

Guest coltrane

Hi all,

I`d like to inquire about my status - I am still holding student visa, we`ve lodged our (flawless) application with my (Aussie) wife for 801/820 visa 8 months ago. I was told that all applications have been put into 12 months backlog - that means, I am (if mostly luckily) getting my TR somewhere after july 2011.

However, I`ve just finished undergrad and want to study postgrad. My student visa are expiring in august 2011, then I`ll get automatically bridging visa (if not already having TR by then).

My question is: Is temporary residence more like PR or is it just extension of student visa?

Will I have to study full-time on TR visa? That is my biggest concern - I cannot afford paying $24.000/year after completing undergrad here. My idea is to do is part-time.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Moreover - if holding bridging visa - do I have to study full-time?

Thanks, Good luck to all with your stuff guys :o:v_SPIN:

The conditions attached to the bridging visa are listed in the BVA grant letter you got when you submitted your visa application.

Once the TR820 is granted, you have full work and study rights (though I think you may still have to pay international fees until the full PR801 is granted).

Guest coltrane

Thanks for your reply. I know that I need to pay full fees on TR. However, I don`t know whether

'full rights' to study means obligation to study full time, or, if it allows me to study part time.

Letter doesn`t specify that. I called UNI and they said I have to study full-time but that I should call DIAC about that. I called DIAC but they are really busy - I waited 20 minutes without reply.

Cheers

Guest marcoakis

But in that case you are a resident... temporary so you should be able to work full time and studypart time if you want.

Guest marcoakis
most universities have this requirement

"Please note that part-time study mode is only available to Australian Residents."

I'd say that applies to Temporary Residents and permanent residents, so in his case he qualifies.

Guest coltrane

Thanks,

that is exactly what I am not sure about - one UNI staff member (in int. office) said that TR means internat. price but possibility of part time mode. Another one said that it means int. price + full-time mode only.

It is not clear what Australian Residents mean - is it PR or TR also? Given the fact that TR is kind of

pre-PR, it wouldn`t make sense to force students study full-time, if person with TR doesn`t have

to study at all and can work full-time.

Anyways, I am probably going to call DIAC again. I just don`t want to ask immigration lawyer as

this one question would cost me $100 :)

Cheers

Guest marcoakis

I'm pretty sure you can study part time as a temporary resident, BUT you won't be entitled to domestic fees until you become PR.

Archived