Initial set up costs

Guest Guest 47403

Guest Guest 47403

Hi all

Just trying to work out our initial set up costs one we set foot in Oz, has anyone got a list they worked from when arriving? Got my own but need to make sure I'm not missing anything major.

Thank you.

Guest Guest 47403
can i see your list please, be very interested?

I'll post it this evening when I get home it's on the home PC.

Guest carlj3108
I'll post it this evening when I get home it's on the home PC.

many thanks....hope it doesn't mean i've got to save even more...ha

We aren't in oz yet but the major initial set up costs we are working from is:

4 weeks temporary accom in furnished rental

Car hire- we have gone for 4 weeks

Buying a car

Taxing the car (rego-I have heard this is a lot more than uk about $600 pa)

Fuelling the car (probably clock a lot of ams in first few weeks from looking around etc)

Insuring the car

Rental bond usually 4 weeks of rent

2-4 weeks rent up front

Food and possibly meals/ lunches out

Money for touristy type things- day at theme park etc

Some for extra bits of furniture and electrical appliances that we haven't shipped with us

And then some more....! Having probably grossly underestimated how much we would spend..:wubclub:

We are a couple with no kids so obviously you can add a lot more to this I would have thought depending on the size of your family.

I haven't put the costs because everyones circumstances /budget is different.:biggrin:

Guest JK2510

Kitting out my 3 girls in school uniform and equipment cost me around $1000.

OH is having to do further courses to transfer UK licence(air con) into oz licence(air con) is $1000. His tools were nearly $5000.

Driving licence cost $40ish.

I know that some of these costs are small and some are job dependant.

Jutting out my 3 girls in school uniform and equipment cost me around $1000.

OH is having to do further courses to transfer UK licence into oz licence is $1000. His tools were nearly $5000.

Driving licence cost £40ish.

I know that some of these costs are small and some are job dependant.

Do you have to do your test again in Oz?

Guest JK2510

For the driving licence?!?

If so it's just an eye test and answer a few medical questions. You have 3 months to get your oz licence otherwise if any longer you will have to do a test.

This is for WA. Other states maybe different.

Also depends on your visa. If temporary in QLD you can keep your uk one, don't have to change, though I think it's advised as a license is a good form of ID for points used when coming to buying/ renting...

If PR I think it's also 3 months to obtain ozzy one but having searched this I don't think you should need to retake test. From what I have read a lot of people go in and fill some forms out and are presented with new licenses in a matter of minutes. You keep your uk ones as well.

Obviously again it does vary from state to state.

Guest Guest 47403

My lists pretty much what has already been posted above although there's no way I plan on car hire for 4 weeks, a week will do plan on buying a car asap, I'll even be changing the hire car from one that I can get all family and suitcases in to a smaller one after 24hrs just a bit of a tight wad lol

We also plan on having 3 months wages as back up just in case, this will go back into the savings hopefully as soon we get jobs.

No one has mentioned medical/ambulance cover so far.

Luckily we don't have jobs that need any kind of extra costs to transfer once in Oz.

A couple of extra things to budget for is money for taxi from airport to take you to your holiday lett! Also if your shipping isnt there by the time you secure a rental, you will need to budget for certain things that were provide in your holiday lett, We had kitchen stuff to buy and bed linen etc, air beds!!, As our shipping was about 3 weeks after we moved into our rental :wubclub:

Guest perth42

Hi

Not sure if you'll find this at all useful but we used carhire3000. We had a car rental for 2 wks (on hols) was much cheaper than sorting out Oz car hire! We collected from the airport and dropped off at the airport. I did an auto route map (multimaps) from the airport to our rental and splashed out $170 or so for an Oz sat nav. When we finally get

our visa I'll probably use the same company if they are the cheapest again.

Good luck.

Guest VickyMel

Love this thread - I am going to use it to set a spreadsheet to help us plan! (I'm a bit nuts that way :twitcy:)

Along with other things mentioned

We are also budgetting about 3 months salary just in case we find it difficult to find jobs.

I suppose we should allow travel expenses in search of work.

Setting up cell phones and internet connections (we are probably going to do prepaid & dongles of some type until we settle a bit more)

Dental insurance as well maybe as I understand it is not included.

Heck - I have not actually looked into the costs of any of these yet (actually been having a bit of a panic this week).

Guest carlj3108

I have heard that renting can be competitive (few families competing over properties) and so if you can stump up more rent in advance it could serve you well

Guest JK2510
Love this thread - I am going to use it to set a spreadsheet to help us plan! (I'm a bit nuts that way :twitcy:)

We are also budgetting about 3 months salary just in case we find it difficult to find jobs.

Setting up cell phones and internet connections (we are probably going to do prepaid & dongles of some type until we settle a bit more)

Heck - I have not actually looked into the costs of any of these yet (actually been having a bit of a panic this week).

With health cover there is a period of time when you sign up that you can't claim for. Some I've looked at had a 2 month waiting period.

OH had a tooth out the 1st week we arrived and it cost $280! So try and get all treatment done before leaving the UK. I must admit that we were rather unfortunate in the last 2 weeks of our time in the UK our dentist had the flu and then a stomach bug so the appointment was cancelled twice.

Guest Guest 47403

Going to get cheapish pay as you go phones and a pre paid dongle for surfing jobs, houses etc before we get our rental, although I have seen a couple of short term lets that include tinternet which would be helpful.

Guest china

Oh VickyMel, I want to do a spreadsheet too! ;)

This is exactly the thread I need at the moment, I have gone from overjoyed to get visa, excited/nervous about moving, and then scared witless when I start adding up whatr I think it might cost (we also have a dog that I really want to bring if the vet oks it, she is getting on a bit - and in case anyone is wondering, if she can't come, she will go back to my mum - I always wonder)

I thought that getting the visa would equal an end to me obsession, and need for, PIO, but if anything I need it more now, as there is more to actually do rather than just waiting.....

I look forward to reading other peoples's lists!!! x

Guest Louey

Hey All

We have in Queensland a few months and can probably give you a few ideas to fill a few gaps in. Costs may vary from State to State though and there is also only two of us so can't help with advice around cost for kids.

QLD Driving Licence $40 for 2 years needed proof of Aussie address so if you have opened a bank account in Oz get them to give you a bank statement also need other ID passport, credit/ Debit cards just take all the ID you have.

Car $3,000 only got a little 2000 Daewoo Matiz used cars over here really retain their value and there is no MOT cost, Did cost to transfer vehicle in our name think it was around $50....not renewed rego yet but it's due next month. Petrol currently $1.49 just gone up we dont travel about too much and our little car takes about $45 to fill up.

Car Insurance both in our 30's with lots of NCD so $400 for year

Accomodation fully furnished 2 bed 2 bath apartment $400 per week with electirc & water extra and a $1600 bond paid. Not moved in yet so can't help with electric or water costs. Contents insurance aprrox $40 per month.

Mobile phones $29 each PAYG from Vodaphone lots of companies have only a 30 validity on your recharges but Vodaphone do have a 365 day option however on that you pay $20 you get $20 credit. The 30 day recharges offer more than the recharge value but only 30 day validity.

Internet $99 for a Vodaphone Dongle from Big W was a special offer got 3GB and a free 12GB recharge (3GB was valid for one month but 12GB is valid for 12 months) shop around because you may get a better deal from Big W, K-mart, Dick Smith etc. Check coverage in your area before buying.

We have found landline packages with internet expensive cheapest I have seen is $60 per month and you have to sign upto a contract usually 12 or 24 months. We spend quite a lot of time on internet checking emails and surfing the web and use about 1GB a month. Obviously if you start download games or TV programs will use more. Our dongle works great can use it with Skype to call UK no problems even good with webcam.

TV we just have standard channels there is no TV licence fee...you can pay just like in UK for sports channels & movie channels.

Health Insurance currently just have medicare..... but that doesn't cover dentist, optician etc so looking to find some cover for that at the moment. Found a webiste called iselect which is a good comparison site. Do check the other major ones HBF, Medi-bank etc.

Travelcards here in QLD you have a Go card which saves money when travelling compared to paying cash for tickets. Think it makes tixs about 10% cheaper they do ones for kids too. OH catches bus to work using it and tops up about $20 every 7 days although I do give lifts to and from work.

Hope this helps

Guest JK2510

I thought the trains were very cheap. A family of 5 from edgewater(nor) to freemantle was $9 return! That was a family rider ticket!

Soooo much better than the uk trains. Where we came from in the UK it was a 50 minute train journey into London cost £45 per adult!!

Guest Louey
I thought the trains were very cheap. A family of 5 from edgewater(nor) to freemantle was $9 return! That was a family rider ticket!

Soooo much better than the uk trains. Where we came from in the UK it was a 50 minute train journey into London cost £45 per adult!!

Your right you can get family deals or all day rider deals I used them when I was in WA...but travel during commuting time Mon-Fri isn't always that cheap I am afraid.

Different states have different deals I guess.

Guest VickyMel

Another thing I have just added to my list is the initial buy of household goods - things like salt & pepper soap and bleach etc. Things you would normally buy when they run out - but you are starting with nothing so have to buy everything to stock the house up.

That will be one big expensive shopping trolly full of goods!

Guest JK2510
Another thing I have just added to my list is the initial buy of household goods - things like salt & pepper soap and bleach etc. Things you would normally buy when they run out - but you are starting with nothing so have to buy everything to stock the house up.

That will be one big expensive shopping trolly full of goods!

Hi Vicky,

Why dont you try using the Coles online shopping service. Your not commited to ordering anything.

I think it might be right up your street! :)

Guest VickyMel
Hi Vicky,

Why dont you try using the Coles online shopping service. Your not commited to ordering anything.

I think it might be right up your street! :)

Hi Jodie - hope you are cooling down a bit in Perth

Are you suggesting I am addicted to creating lists :policeman: how could you think that of me:sad:!

OK going to Coles online now ...:biglaugh:

Guest Guest 47403

My list has been pretty much covered but this is what I'm working off:

Car hire for a week

Short term let for 4 weeks

Car purchase (beginning to think buying new is the best option due to used car prices)

Car Insurance

Car rego

Rental bond and a couple of months rent.

Ambulance cover

Dental cover

Initial school fees and uniform

Pair of pay as you go mobiles

Internet dongle

And 3 months wages as back up.

Anything else to add??

Baz

Archived