RobDav

175/176, Category 2's, Category 3's??

Hi There, dumb question, I understand the whole Category 175 and Category 176 visa but what are the references to "Category 2's and Category 3's where are you?" in the thread subjects?

What does this mean, is there a Category 1 also? What's the difference?

I'm here on 457 and contemplating applying for 175 category visa.

Cheers

Rob

catagory 2 is state sponsored and your occupation is on their smp (state migration plan) , and catagory 3 is not (just if your occupation is on the sol (in demand).

for example we have applied for a 175 (aug 09) my oh is a boilermaker/plater. we wish to go to newcastle nsw but they are not sponsoring his trade. Therefore this puts us in catagory 3 as his trade is in demand. hope this helps. nicola

boilermaker and midwife. 175 visa granted may 2011. now living near newcastle nsw

Guest AustrAnglian

Hi Rob,

The categories refer to the priority of processing provided by DIAC - the lower the number the quicker you will be processed.

Category 1 is employer sponsored visas

Category 2 is GSM visas with State Sponsorship with occupations on that State's State Migration plan

Category 3 is GSM visas with occupations listed on DIAC's Schedule 3

Category 4 is for the rest.

Categories 1 and 2 will receive COs within a matter of months, Category 3 is currently backed up by about 24 months, and Category 4 will only receive attention once all other category visas are cleared - i.e. a long, long wait.

Hope this helps.

Hi There, dumb question, I understand the whole Category 175 and Category 176 visa but what are the references to "Category 2's and Category 3's where are you?" in the thread subjects?

What does this mean, is there a Category 1 also? What's the difference?

I'm here on 457 and contemplating applying for 175 category visa.

Cheers

Rob

"Applications from people who are employer sponsored under the ENS or RSMS receive the highest level of priority processing. More information about ENS or RSMS is available on the departmental website. See: www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/visa-permanent.htm"

More details here: Updated priority Processing Arrangements for Skilled Migration Visas – Effective from 14 July 2010

Vetassess:Feb'09 IELTS: Mar'09 SA SS(176): Sep'10

Visa application: Oct'10 CO: May'11 MEDS & PCC: Oct'12 VISA Grant: 5th Feb 2013:jiggy:

Guest VickyMel

The term Category used here in PIO - equates to DIACs Priority 1,2,3,4 (no idea why we use the other here - just has been for ages)

Thanks for the quick and informative responses as ever on pomsinoz!

So that means a minimum of a 18 months to 2 years for a case officer, slightly off putting but not sure I want to do the 176 route even assuming my employer would agree to it!

Guest AustrAnglian
Thanks for the quick and informative responses as ever on pomsinoz!

So that means a minimum of a 18 months to 2 years for a case officer, slightly off putting but not sure I want to do the 176 route even assuming my employer would agree to it!

Hi Rob, just to clarify on your last comments - a 176 has no additional requirements from an employer when compared to a 175. The sponsorship comes from the State government - in your case I assume New South Wales. If your occupation is on NSW's State Migration Plan then you apply directly to NSW and if approved they send you a sponsorship letter in return for you committing to 2 years stay in NSW which you may already be doing.

Please also see the attached link for more info on processing times.

Client Service Charter

Hi Rob, just to clarify on your last comments - a 176 has no additional requirements from an employer when compared to a 175. The sponsorship comes from the State government - in your case I assume New South Wales. If your occupation is on NSW's State Migration Plan then you apply directly to NSW and if approved they send you a sponsorship letter in return for you committing to 2 years stay in NSW which you may already be doing.

Please also see the attached link for more info on processing times.

Client Service Charter

OK so any idea how I apply to NSW? It's not clear from DIAC link Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

About this Visa How this Visa Works Eligibility Obligations Applying for this Visa

State or Territory Government Nomination

Participating state or territory governments will assess your eligibility for nomination under this visa scheme. If a state or territory government agrees to nominate you for this visa, they will provide you with a letter or reference number which you must include with your application. The nominating state or territory government will then provide the department with a nomination form to confirm your nomination after you have lodged your visa application.

Obtaining nomination from a participating state or territory government does not mean that you will be automatically granted a visa. You must also be assessed by this department against a number of visa-specific requirements. You will only be granted a visa if all requirements are met.

See: Step 2 - Applicant Applies for a Visa

Thanks, Rob.