register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest shindig

GTP to PGCE and getting it assessed

Guest shindig

I thought I would post a thread to see if anyone could help me and my husband with our current situation.

I am from the UK and have been over here for 2 years now with my husband. He has done a Dipolma in Web Design and is currently doing one of these crappy courses to get us by and staying here at the moment. I did the GTP which isn't regonised over here therefore I am doing 2 modules from the Masters to get the PGCE from the uni I did the GTP at. I haven't taught for 4 years now and I'm worried that once I complete the course and get my skills assessed that I need to have had some kind of teaching practice. I taught in the Uk from 2004-2006 and have done some casual teaching over here but feel that the skills test may come back negaitive! I have my own dance and drama school here (that is what i taught in the UK) but I am only teaching kids up to the age of 12.

The plan was for me to finish the PGCE get my skills assessed and fingers crossed I would pass and then apply for residency as secondary teacher as this is on the SOL. I know this may take time and people are telling us all different things therefore I thought I would post a thread on here to see if anyone could help me and my partner out!

:no:

Guest AnubisUK
I thought I would post a thread to see if anyone could help me and my husband with our current situation.

I am from the UK and have been over here for 2 years now with my husband. He has done a Dipolma in Web Design and is currently doing one of these crappy courses to get us by and staying here at the moment. I did the GTP which isn't regonised over here therefore I am doing 2 modules from the Masters to get the PGCE from the uni I did the GTP at. I haven't taught for 4 years now and I'm worried that once I complete the course and get my skills assessed that I need to have had some kind of teaching practice. I taught in the Uk from 2004-2006 and have done some casual teaching over here but feel that the skills test may come back negaitive! I have my own dance and drama school here (that is what i taught in the UK) but I am only teaching kids up to the age of 12.

The plan was for me to finish the PGCE get my skills assessed and fingers crossed I would pass and then apply for residency as secondary teacher as this is on the SOL. I know this may take time and people are telling us all different things therefore I thought I would post a thread on here to see if anyone could help me and my partner out!

:no:

What state do you live in shindig? Probably best to get in touch with the relevant teaching authority and find out from them. Personally I have no idea about your situation but I do hope it works out for you :)

Guest shindig

I live in Sydney. I have spoke to the teaching authority who assess your sills and they don't give anything away!

Guest AnubisUK
I live in Sydney. I have spoke to the teaching authority who assess your sills and they don't give anything away!

That's crap! :(

If it helps, I'm trying to register with Victoria, and you can get two types of registration. The first is full registration which you need a reference for from your previous school, and the second is a provisional registration, where you don't need a reference but it appears that you are monitored as you teach to make sure you reach the standards they want.

There used to be a rule for the skilled migrant visa that you had to work in your chosen profession for a few years prior to applying - but this may have changed. I don't know whether your teaching at your dance and drama school will count or not but I can't believe they won't give you any advice on what to do. Maybe it's best to speak to a migration agent to get some clarity.

Becky

Dyslexia NSW www.dyslexia-nsw.com.au

I am pretty sure GTP counts towards nothing and like you already said is not recognised here. At the most I would think it would equate to a diploma as teacher status is only recognised by completing a degree.

I hope I am wrong, I was a HLTA in UK - which also means nothing so I do know how you feel :sad:

Quoll is pretty good with educational stuff maybe message her?

47SV Special Migrant Former Resident Visa Applied 15.9.08 Granted 10.3.09

Arrived 19.9.09 Lovin' it!!

Guest wavedancer

I'm assuming that you want your skills assessing for migration as a permanent resident. In which case I belive that the organisation you need to contact is the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (www.aitsl.edu.au). They have a handy assessment guide here. This would suggest that you need to meet educational, professional and English language criteria - there are no specified experience criteria as such.

If you then want to practice as a teacher in NSW you will need to register with the Institute of Teachers, and maintain your professional accreditation with them. They have different requirements - however this is seperate to a migration skills assessment.

This is my understanding - hope it helps.

Guest Kay33k

Hi!

Would u mind telling me which uni are allowing the top up? I really want to top my gtp up to pgce but so far have drawn a blank.

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

K x

Guest Ian Butler

Hi All,

I have just joined this forum and will be moving to Australia in July 2012. I have been teaching here in the UK for 6 years but qualified via the GTP. I now understand that this isn't recognised...GUTTED. However, I have heard that it is possible to teach at private schools - does anyone know whether this is true?

Shindig -I also noticed that youhave been doing some casual teaching...is this easy enough to get with the GTP? Also, what avenues are there out there to convert the GTP?

I guess the best case would be that Australia eventually recognise the GTP and I don't have this issue...but maybe I'd be waiting a while!! Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Guest tartandavid

Context. Ex teacher of Drama in UK and Aus - now lecturer in Education (Drama).

GTP won't count. You can complete your PGCE online but still need the prac elements to fulfill requirements. It is the NSWIT (New South Wales Institute of Teachers) you need to get accreditation with.

Best idea - if you have an Undergraduate Degree in Drama then apply for a Masters of Teaching and get credit for the courses you have undertaken in the UK. You might cut down study from 2 years to 1 and be qualified - not only formally but for your own confidence. also check out the Quality Teaching info as this will help sell yourself. Independent Schools used to take on unqualified people but that is changing with the NSWIT of teachers and a good thing to. Some seriously crap teachers out there (I taught in an Independent School for a while).

I hope this helps.

Guest Ian Butler

Thank you for the reply. In terms of a degree a have a BA (hons) in marketing! So I'm not sure this will help me out in Primary Education! However, perhaps this is something that I could teach at a secondary school???

It certainly isn't easy knowing what to do for the best. I guess anything that I do I will now need to start on the bottom and work my way back up. Or possibly go down a different direction within education...any jobs going in lecturering!? Thanks again:err:

Guest tartandavid
Thank you for the reply. In terms of a degree a have a BA (hons) in marketing! So I'm not sure this will help me out in Primary Education! However, perhaps this is something that I could teach at a secondary school???

It certainly isn't easy knowing what to do for the best. I guess anything that I do I will now need to start on the bottom and work my way back up. Or possibly go down a different direction within education...any jobs going in lecturering!? Thanks again:err:

Ian

Marketing is an interesting one - for Secondary you could teach commerce as part of HSIE but you would need History or Geography as well.

When I came to Australia, I had a degree in Environmental Science. I decided I wanted to teach (I was living in NSW at the time) and had my qualification assessed by the NSW Teaching Authority. They told me what I was required to study in order to gain a teaching qualification. The minimum for me was a 1 year teaching diploma. I ended up doing an 18 month masters degree instead (although it ended up taking me a lot longer than that!!!). I chose that course, simply because I was able to do it by distance education. I was able to pick my own schools for teaching prac etc.

The rules do vary between states. In NSW I could have taught in private schools without registering with the teaching authority and without and formal teaching qualification, but where I live now, in Queensland, all teachers must be registered before applying for a job.

BTW - I am primary trained, so even with a degree that does not seem to fit in with primary schooling, it is worth getting it assessed. Oh, and also, in NSW, even as a primary trained teacher, as a casual teacher, I was able to work in either primary or high schools.

Love

Rudi

x