Tax and living costs - Any direction on this would be great!

Guest iantyler

Guest iantyler

Hey all...

I have question about living costs and tax that "you, we" pay in Oz... specifically Queensland.

My wife, child and I are moving to Queensland in June and I have a jobe waiting for me for a large IT Recruitment / HR organisation. I have been told that I will get a tax benefit as I will be "living away from home allowance" have you ever heard of such a thing? if so can you break it down for me in terms of what you get, how much, what is is exactly... I have asked the question of my new employer and I have been told I will receive all the information in due course... so I have turned to you for any input??

On another matter, is it possible for you to offer me an insight into the living costs....

I have a place to rent which is 4 bed 2 bath...so I know what my rent will be but....

What are the average costs of :

Shopping for a family of 3

Gas

Electric

internet connection

petrol - average local miles around town over a month... $ ? per tank per month?

etc etc.....

Any help would be great.

Regards

Ian and Family.

[/b] :?

Guest ABCDiamond

Living away from home allowance can be substantial, but depends on individual circumstances.

We spend about $125pw on food, for 3, but some do spend more. I know some of the better places to shop in my area as we have been here for years.

Our last 4 Electric quarters have been: $325, $326, $317, $425 (summer with air-con) We don't have Gas, so that would the a combined equivalent.

Driving will vary per individual, but I paid $1.10 for petrol 2 days ago, when the headlines said petrol is now at $1.60 !! It was $1.20 yesterday.

We spend an average of $36 per week on petrol, and that covers 2 cars.

One of us works locally, the other does more mileage for shopping, school etc :)

I pay $50 per month for a 1,512/256k internet connection.

Archived