Aircraft Maintenance Engineers - TRA / Victoria University Skills Assessment

Guest guest48800

Guest guest48800

Just thought I'd update,

Agent spoke with Vic Uni and OH has passed his skills assessment :jiggy:, official notification 'in the post', yay!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest48800

Woodster,

You wouldnt have been working on the GR9 upgrade program by any chance would you?

No, afraid not, he's rotary but apparently he's worked on harrier mods in the past.

Guest waowen
Hi there.

im Ex forces and now a Civilian engineer on helicopters. i did my assesment through TRA and it was a doddle. no interviews etc, just sent off a reference from work along with a statement about what i do day to day and the tools i use etc and sent a Statutory declaration about my time in the RAF signed by a JP. along with application form and a CV and it was no problem. i didnt have to send log books or anything. I had my licence at the time but there is no distinction in the job skills category between licenced or unlicensed. there is a category rarely seen though that is for licensed only.

i also know there are companies who will sponsor a B2 to go, i have spoken to one guy doing so on here and also the company i work for now in the UK along with our Main Rivals will do the same. all three companies paying $130,000 or more PA.

when it comes to getting a licence with CASA (australian CAA) you only get exemptions if you are a licence holder with certain amount of time certifying on type. are you aware you have to do a minimum of 1 year out of the RAF, and certifying civilian aircraft to apply to the CAA for a licence? if you go to Australia without it, you will have to do all their exams to get a CASA B2, as they have changed over to issueing EASA style licences.

if you have any questions about anything, ask me and i will endevour to answer. be wary of anyone not in the industy giving advice, even the vic uni people, because they are often wrong. for info, i was granted my 175 visa last year. ive been throught the visa process and am doing the Licence conversion.

Just coming to the end of my military career - Aircraft Tech.

Applied for a 176 SS visa using the old TRA system in May 09 and paid AU$175 all in by doing it the DIY route. Got by with just sending my course Certificates off and DII prints showing career details.

Recieved the visa Feb 10. The hardest part was getting police checks done for all the countries we have lived in over the years.

So glad I didn't need to go through what Vic uni are asking for and pay them for the pleasure.

Heading out in November and have UK EASA B2 licence and have transfered it to a CASA Licence (just need to sit the AA exam) with type rating for Bell212 & PW PT6 series engines.

Can you give me details of the companies that are looking for B2 engineers. Thank you

• 1 month later...
Guest ian877

Hi Woodster

Fab news for you and your OH. My OH is in exactly the same boat. He is an Aircraft Mechanic in the RAF and has been for the last 22yrs. We started our application some time ago. OH has submitted all his paperwork to Vic Uni for his skills assessment via our migration agent, and he has now been offered a Skype interview at Guildford, Surrey on Friday 17th June. Only 2 days notice!!!!

He is feeling anxious about the interview as he doesn't know what to expect. We would really apreciate it if you could give us some idea of the sort of questions they ask and if there is anything that your OH would suggest he take with him.

Hope all is progressing well for you both.

I have also dropped you a PM

Kind regards

Deb & Ian

after 22 years in the RAF, as long as he still remembers how to swing a spanner and hasnt been in LITS or continuous improvement bollox for the last 10 years theres nothing to worry about.

they only want to know if you can fulfill the criteria for an Aeroskills cert level 4, basically what an apprentice would achieve.

Guest ian877

Thanks S92LAME

Hope all goes well in my interview tomorrow. I will post and let you know how I get on.

Guest Andy1972

Morning everyone...

This Is EXACTLY the kind of thread i have been looking for for ages so luckily i stumbled across it...!!

I'm currently serving in the RAF and I am in the early stages of studying for my B1 License and have about 18 months left to serve. I have made initial enquiries and am currently waiting for the 2011 SMP list to come out to see where I stand.

Main reason I posted though was to say hello as I can see this thread being very useful in the future.

Andy

Guest linzie24

Hi all, My OH is an aircraft engineer (full B1). We have found that it is hard to get an employer sponsor - especially without having your licenses already converted to CASA. We decided to wait until July (when we thought the new licensing stuff came in but sounds like it might be in already) to convert his licenses because he MIGHT lose his electrics when converting under the old system. So a couple of things.

1. Does anyone know if you can sit your Air ledge course in the UK? I have heard that they only time you can do this is if you have a employer sponsorship as they will organise the course in the UK for you? We know a few people who have sat it at Heathrow but like I said, all organised by the employer.

2. We looked on the Visa website and apparently we might be eligable for a 175 visa but when I have done the points system we only come up with 110 points? I guess that means we can apply but are unlikely to be accepted as the pass mark is 120? I guess we don't want to spend all the money of applying if we are going to sit in a 'pool' for 2 years to then be refused any chance of further application.

How did you guys all get your visa's accepted etc? Is it worth speaking to one of these visa agencies?

Thanks for all your help. We decided to try a move to Oz earlier this year and are still very excited by the prospect.

Guest guest48800
Hi Woodster

Fab news for you and your OH. My OH is in exactly the same boat. He is an Aircraft Mechanic in the RAF and has been for the last 22yrs. We started our application some time ago. OH has submitted all his paperwork to Vic Uni for his skills assessment via our migration agent, and he has now been offered a Skype interview at Guildford, Surrey on Friday 17th June. Only 2 days notice!!!!

He is feeling anxious about the interview as he doesn't know what to expect. We would really apreciate it if you could give us some idea of the sort of questions they ask and if there is anything that your OH would suggest he take with him.

Kind regards

Deb & Ian

Hello!

Sorry, didn't get a notification of this post for some reason. Have replied to your PM, I wouldn't worry too much, my OH was the same and afterwards he said he needn't have worried. :smile:

Best of luck!

I am full B1 and i applied on 175. i have my visa already.

Due to the new points scheme tho i cant really comment and if you havent started already, you are unlikely to make it before the cut off date for the old points scheme.

If going for a casa licence, they have already started issuing 100.66 licences (back in May). you need to send away an application for RPL to a specific TAFE, who will evaluate it and say wether or not you are up to scratch.

Also, if you have just got a licence, then to get a CASA one you need to have been certifying for at least 6 months to qualify, meaning you also need a type rating before you can apply.

Im trying to get a definitive answer to a question about weather or not you need to sit the Aviation Administration exam at all if getting a CASA66 from EASA66. it may be that you dont need to now. otherwise, no i havent found anywhere in the UK to do it, although i have heard rumours of it being available somewhere.

Its good to see so many aircraft engineers on here at last. when i first came on here there were a couple but they never hardly said a word!

Also good to see we are all mostly Ex-RAF!

we should all keep eachother informed!

Any one intersested in Big Helicopters?

Just for interest, whats everyones backgroud?

i'll start with mine.

Im 34. did 2 years as apprentice with Bristow, was in the RAF for 6 years on VC10 and F3, then 1 year Ryanair 737-800, now been on North Sea helicopters for last 5 years for CHC in Aberdeen. been a B1.3 for 3 years.

Guest Andy1972

I'm 38 still currently serving...

I started on Chinook, Puma and a little work on the Sqn runaround the Gazelle, then did some F3 Stuff followed by a spell on Harriers and finally now on EJ200.

Guest linzie24

S92LAME

Thanks for your reply. I have looked at the new points system and it seems we only get 50 out of 65! Hubby has been certifying on all his aircraft types for years now so I don't think that side of it is a problem.

If you find out anything about the AA course then please do let me know? Likewise I am doing some digging too!

Does anyone know of a good agency we could talk to about this and see if it is worth us applying for a 175?

Guest linzie24

Oh and with regards to who we are! Hubby is 33 did an apprenticeship at KLM uk for 4 years at 16 and stayed there working on F100/F70/F50/BAe146/737 C before leaving in 2006/7 to work for an independant engineering company so got his approval on A319/A320 etc and then started contracting in 2010. Now works at Marshalls Aerospace in Cambridge on an A320 modification programme. He has been a full B1 since 1998. Me - an ex air hosty for KLM (hubby and I met whilst living in Holland - him from Norwich, me from Leeds. Now mum of 2 and an office manager in Cambridge (I know your probably not interested in me!! - LOL)

I'm 38 still currently serving...

I started on Chinook, Puma and a little work on the Sqn runaround the Gazelle, then did some F3 Stuff followed by a spell on Harriers and finally now on EJ200.

nae Luck!!

EJ200? you just in the engine bay? i know quite a lot of people on all those types! prob know a lot of the same folks! you at Conningsby now?

you dont know a guy called Roy Cannavan do you? been wondering where he ended up after the GR9 upgrade project. would be nice to hear from him or hear what hes doing at least.

Guest linzie24

LOL S92LAME. Sorry I just meant because I am not an engineer but no - not hot!! Just a normal girl!!

Guest guest48800
Hi Woodster

Kind regards

Deb & Ian

Hello Deb & Ian,

How was the interview?

Hi,

just want to introduce myself as like others i think this post will be my life line for the next few months.

Not RAF but Army so please don't think bad of me lol. Done 21 yrs as an air tech and am in my last 24 months, just started the application with an agent and the vic uni interview is defo something that i have been wanting some help/tips on so the previous replies have helped already.

Guest snowy10
Its good to see so many aircraft engineers on here at last. when i first came on here there were a couple but they never hardly said a word!

Also good to see we are all mostly Ex-RAF!

we should all keep eachother informed!

Any one intersested in Big Helicopters?

Just for interest, whats everyones backgroud?

i'll start with mine.

Im 34. did 2 years as apprentice with Bristow, was in the RAF for 6 years on VC10 and F3, then 1 year Ryanair 737-800, now been on North Sea helicopters for last 5 years for CHC in Aberdeen. been a B1.3 for 3 years.

Age 40 and just left the RAF, did 3 year apprenticeship at Halton then 14 years on Puma and 6 years Chinook.

Left Dec 10, got visa May 11, looking to validate visa soon as exchange rate is so bad and will hold off 'till it improves.

Looking to go to Adelaide so if anyone out there has any contacts within the rotary world (or any type of aviation work) it would be very much appreciated.

Guest linzie24

So an update from us.

Woodster - we may be coming your way for help soon!! We have been informed by an agency that depending on the outcome of the English test, we will be able to apply for a 176 visa (- possibly a 175 (if he gets the full points but hubby is very doubtful!! :-)) under the new points system. Yipee!! So the first step is to get this IELTS done which we have booked for the 13th August (can't do it any earlier because of hubby's shifts!). We then need to submit the skills assessment to Vic Uni etc etc etc. I guess we kind of need to know what info to submit? Woodster can you help with this? Oh and can I also ask you which agent you are using? We have got a few quotes, all pretty much the same but one or two have stood out as been MUCH better than the others. One of them seemed to have experience of recent RAF stuff on talking to him, wondered if it might have been you!

With regards to the licenses side I had an e-mail today from Aviation Australia telling me the process and they are adament that the Air Ledge needs to be done in Oz, however, someone on here, did their Air Ledge at Heathrow with Queensland Aerospace College (QAC), so I have emailed them today to find out what the score is. I guess you can always do that part of things when (if) you get to Oz, however, catch 22, is that you stand much better stead to get employer sponsorship you have converted all your licenses already. If anyone is interested in this email from Aviation Australia then let me know and I will PM you.

So roll on the 13 August and then we at least know which visa to apply for but then apparently the processing times for a 176 are quicker than a 175 anyway. I guess we need to decide which state to apply for too!! I feel very nervous and sick and excited all at the same time.

Guest guest48800
So an update from us.

Woodster - we may be coming your way for help soon!! We have been informed by an agency that depending on the outcome of the English test, we will be able to apply for a 176 visa (- possibly a 175 (if he gets the full points but hubby is very doubtful!! :-)) under the new points system. Yipee!! So the first step is to get this IELTS done which we have booked for the 13th August (can't do it any earlier because of hubby's shifts!). We then need to submit the skills assessment to Vic Uni etc etc etc. I guess we kind of need to know what info to submit? Woodster can you help with this? Oh and can I also ask you which agent you are using? We have got a few quotes, all pretty much the same but one or two have stood out as been MUCH better than the others. One of them seemed to have experience of recent RAF stuff on talking to him, wondered if it might have been you! .

Hi Linzie24, Happy to help anywhere we can. OH is Navy so isn't here until the weekend, but I'll ask him to drop you a PM ref. the skills assessment. We're with Ian Harrop & Associates, can't fault them, all lovely people, know their stuff and don't hang about. We just got a really good 'vibe' from them and their fees were reasonable (and stage payments, which was a deal winner too!). I know they also have a couple of RAF guys on the books too at the mo.

I guess we need to decide which state to apply for too!! I feel very nervous and sick and excited all at the same time.

Choosing a state is the biggest dilemma isn't it! We've always had a hankering to live in Melbourne so the VIC SMP worked out well for us, current rules in VIC mean that you can submit application for Skills Assessment and VIC SS at the same time (not sure if this will still be the case after 1st July though), other states you need to have your Skills assessment before you can apply for SS. Also check out how much money you need to have behind you, I know a couple of states specify a lot more than others (can't remember specifics though sorry!).

I seem to be in a permanent state of nervous, sick, excitement too at the mo! :biggrin:

Guest linzie24

Thanks Woodster. Yes it was Ian Harrop that are one of the companies that I spoke with. I got a good feeling from them too, them and Go Matilda. He mentioned that someone took a webcam skills assessment and they were only in there 30 mins which made me wonder if that was you!!

Yes he also mentioned that different states have different ways of doing things. He said that one (not sure which) you needed to have about $25,000 behind you which I am hoping we will have before any visa's are granted.

I think for us it would be Queensland as a preferred. That is where a lot of the work for hubby is but Vic too would not be a problem. WA are not one that is accepting Aircraft Mechs at the mo as there is quite a lot of work down there too but I guess once you are there, you only have to stay for a couple of years before you can move.

Sometimes I worry that we are going to spend all this money and then decide we don't want to go at the last hour. However, a bit part of me knows that if we don't try it, we will regret it and at the end of the day, it is only money!!! :eek:

Archived