Aircraft Maintenance Engineers - TRA / Victoria University Skills Assessment

Guest guest48800

Guest guest48800

Hello all,

After a lot of dithering as to whether to or not, thought it might be useful to start this thread for all those Aircraft Engineers out there who are intending / or have already started / passed their TRA assessment via Victoria University.

Our story: OH is avionics with 25 yrs military experience and we're all set to start our skills assessment, but we have been advised that we may be wasting our money as he doesn't hold civilian licenses or an 'official' log book. He's completed the initial online Tradeset assessment with no problems, so as an initial guideline we think this is a positive indication.

We personally, and no doubt all others in the same situation, would be really grateful to hear of how your application is going, timelines whether you have civilian licenses or not, log books etc. Any advice you can give really.

I do know that clarification on this issue has been been requested by at least one migration agent ( to both Vic Uni and TRA) but as yet a definitative reply hasn't been given from either to say if they are a pre-requisite or not...very frustrating!

Our understanding is that under the previous guidelines, before the assessment switched to Vic Uni, that you didn't have to have civilian licenses and that providing a very in depth breakdown of jobs, experience, tools used etc. (all signed off) was sufficient.

Is anyone out there in a similar situation or had their assessment application acknowledged /approved without licenses?

Thanks, E&A

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest48800

Just thought I'd update, our agent had a reply from TRA and while there wasn't a definite answer regarding the need for licenses (we've taken this as a good sign that it's not a big problem), they did clear up the "log book" issue. As suspected (but needed to have it confirmed before we could move forward) OH can submit a detailed, verified/certified, work history as he doesn't hold a "log book". Good news!:biggrin:

Guest guest48800

Not sure if this information is useful, doesn't seem to be many Aircraft Engineers out there submitting TRA assessments at the moment, but you never know so I'll post anyway....O.K so after a week of OH working his socks off to gather all his log book info and references, we've (via our agent) lodged our TRA assessment today! Woo hoo! Documents go courier to Vic Uni first thing tomorrow morning, so fingers crossed we'll get a confirmation of receipt some time next week.

Guest immidavid

Hope you hear from Vic Uni soon. But I have not gotten anything from them since I sent the forms 3/3/11. it has past 15days!!!

:army-unhappy:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest48800

Update on our application, We've just had a call from our agent saying that OH has passed his paper assessment, which is great news!

As Vic Uni will be on holiday from Friday, they have offered him a tech interview on Friday morning, if he can't make it then he'll have to wait until after the Easter hols.

Dilemma now is...as this is the most important interview of his life do we wait until after hols (another week or so) so he can prep or do 'we' go for the one on Friday? He knows his stuff (25 years experience) but is obviously nervous of fluffing the interview and blowing our chances, so wants to prep a bit first, as he's military he'd like to go over civilian terminology etc. Also our agent has suggested that he take some tools etc.but as he's now off work himself for the holidays, all his tools etc are down at work (quite a way!)

We'd be really grateful if anyone who has had their aircraft engineer skype interview could give us some advice on what the interview entails? Obviously they're all individual based on your CV, but I think he'd be less nervous if he knew what format the interview takes, how long it lasts and how in depth they go, also will he need any tools/equipment?

Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Guest guest48800
Hi Woodster,

I'm an Avionics Engineer ( Licensed full B2 ) and have struggled to find a company who sponsor so I'm quite interested in how you get on... best of luck !

Hi B2Eng,

OH has been doing his B2 licenses for the last couple of years, he's only got one more exam to go!

He hasn't looked for an employer sponsor yet, after reading quite a few posts on here, it looks like it's really difficult to find one. We've applied for State sponsorship with Victoria. Worked out well for us as Vic allows you to submit application before skills assessment passed, saved us some valuable time! Are you going to try for State sponsorship too?

OH has decided to wait and sit his skype interview next week (Vic Uni gave agent a couple more dates to choose from) so he's got time to prep.

Did you have your skills assessment done via Vic Uni?

Guest guest48800

OH had his skype interview on Thursday (21st). Apparently he was only in there for 27 minutes! His assessor said he was giving him a "positive assessment", so we're hoping that this, along with the fact that he's passed the paper assessment, means that he'll get an official "pass" shortly....fingers crossed!

Guest guest48800
i was wondering when we were getting an update, fingers crossed it comes though very soon. Do you have any idea how much longer you're likely to wait?

We're thinking that because of the Easter hols we're thinking it'll be a bit longer than would be usual to get something official, and don't want to count our chickens until we see an official "pass" but the assessor definately said he'd be forwarding a positive assessment, so we're hoping we'll see something within the next 10 days or so.

OH had his skype interview on Thursday (21st). Apparently he was only in there for 27 minutes! His assessor said he was giving him a "positive assessment", so we're hoping that this, along with the fact that he's passed the paper assessment, means that he'll get an official "pass" shortly....fingers crossed!

Hi just thought i would say hello, my oh is an aircraft engineer too.we lodged our ss to vic in feb just waiting now!!

julie:biggrin:

Guest Nikolai99

Hi,

I'm currently looking into doing my skill assessment for the same trade and am in an almost identical situation to yourselves.

How many months/years paperwork of work history did you need to supply for the skill assessment?

And what was the tech interview like? I've been researching whether I would need to complete my licence before I could emigrate or even be eligible but drawn a blank every time, any news from your agent on the licence front?

Any info or advice would be great!

Guest guest48800
Hi,

I'm currently looking into doing my skill assessment for the same trade and am in an almost identical situation to yourselves.

How many months/years paperwork of work history did you need to supply for the skill assessment?

And what was the tech interview like? I've been researching whether I would need to complete my licence before I could emigrate or even be eligible but drawn a blank every time, any news from your agent on the licence front?

Any info or advice would be great!

Hello Nikolai99,

OH submitted his whole work history (25 years) but he's in the armed forces so only covered the one employer. He submitted every certificate he's ever been awarded and also details of all his courses etc. It was quite a pack that was sent off, cost us £70 in courier fees! Not sure if he needed to send it all but figured too much info was better than not enough.

He also hasn't completed his licenses yet, has his final exam soon. You're definately eligible to apply without them, it hasn't slowed up his skills assessment anyway. I think you're asked in the interview if you're aware of the licence application/conversion process in Australia. We know another aircraft engineer who's been granted his 176 visa and he isn't a license holder either. I'll get some advice from the oh for you and/or get him to post on here.

Guest guest48800
Hi just thought i would say hello, my oh is an aircraft engineer too.we lodged our ss to vic in feb just waiting now!!

Hello Julie, nice to 'meet' you!

Have you heard anything at all from Vic yet? Are you using an agent or going d.i.y? We're using an agent, last time we spoke to them they hadn't heard anything, so we're just waiting too..... Haven't been waiting as long as some people on here though so mustn't grumble, we're just getting ever closer to that July deadline!

Hopefully he'll get a positive skills assessment through soon, that'll be hurdle 1 of 3 cleared at least!:biggrin:

Hello Julie, nice to 'meet' you!

Have you heard anything at all from Vic yet? Are you using an agent or going d.i.y? We're using an agent, last time we spoke to them they hadn't heard anything, so we're just waiting too..... Haven't been waiting as long as some people on here though so mustn't grumble, we're just getting ever closer to that July deadline!

Hopefully he'll get a positive skills assessment through soon, that'll be hurdle 1 of 3 cleared at least!:biggrin:

Hi

We are just waiting as well!! We have an agent,but now we realise after finding this website it would have been ok without one.We have heard nothing since they asked for a commitment statement in feb. Fingers crossed we all make the july deadline!

:cute:

Guest Nikolai99
Hello Nikolai99,

OH submitted his whole work history (25 years) but he's in the armed forces so only covered the one employer. He submitted every certificate he's ever been awarded and also details of all his courses etc. It was quite a pack that was sent off, cost us £70 in courier fees! Not sure if he needed to send it all but figured too much info was better than not enough.

He also hasn't completed his licenses yet, has his final exam soon. You're definately eligible to apply without them, it hasn't slowed up his skills assessment anyway. I think you're asked in the interview if you're aware of the licence application/conversion process in Australia. We know another aircraft engineer who's been granted his 176 visa and he isn't a license holder either. I'll get some advice from the oh for you and/or get him to post on here.

Thanks Woodster,

Which service is the oh in? I'm RN, 6 years now, so should probably save a fair bit on the courier! Good news about not needing a licence straight off. Did he need any 'props' for the interview in the end?

I've only just started looking into it seriously and it's quite confusing at first, so your advice is much appreciated!

Guest guest48800

Hi,

Ref the trade assessment interview over the web. Well had heard all sorts of horror stories about 1hr and 1/2 with people taking in tools etc but for me (us) guess it's a bit impractical but had decided to gen up a bit and put off the interview until I was happy I could talk about all subjects with some authority however didn't need to bother.

The trade assessment interview is based on assessing you against the Certificate 4 in Aeroskills which is the minimum you need to work in the aviation industry which is what the TRADSET is based on. However the assessment is based on the last three years and have you carried out these "skills" daily. Not too much of a problem if you have been on a squadron but was for me. However because of my supervisory/QA/manufacturing background (all backed up by the info I sent as part of a made up log book (which I based on my PDR with references from my CO, Boss and Line Manager)) I was assessed against a Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance which is a higher level so all good there. He went through all entires on the TRADESET and basically said how he could see how I have been doing this (or something higher in my case). It took 27 mins and was all over before I got into my stride.

The licences he suggested i finish before I get there (assuming all goes well) as it not only shows learning but should speed up the Aircraft Licence their end and could result in some exemptions.

Any other questions drop me a line and I will try to answer them. I wrote my Log Book and all that as if I was applying for a job or doing a write up ie "worked on the main gate" turns into "responsible for security of a military establishment whilst working as part of a team reacting calmly and quickly to all emergency and non emergency situations". Make sense?

Andy

Guest guest48800
Thanks Woodster,

Which service is the oh in? I'm RN, 6 years now, so should probably save a fair bit on the courier! Good news about not needing a licence straight off. Did he need any 'props' for the interview in the end?

I've only just started looking into it seriously and it's quite confusing at first, so your advice is much appreciated!

Hi Nikolai99,

In case you hadn't guessed that last post was the oh! :wink:

Like he says, any questions feel free to pm us/him and we'll help you out as much as we can. :biggrin:

There's also a forces/ex forces thread on here which you might want to take a look at (i'm not sure how to link it sorry!). There are quite a few matelots who post frequently so I'm sure they'd all be able to offer advice too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest48800

Hello Julie, just wanted to say congratulations on your Vic SS grant and good luck with the next stage of your visa application! :biggrin:

Hi there.

im Ex forces and now a Civilian engineer on helicopters. i did my assesment through TRA and it was a doddle. no interviews etc, just sent off a reference from work along with a statement about what i do day to day and the tools i use etc and sent a Statutory declaration about my time in the RAF signed by a JP. along with application form and a CV and it was no problem. i didnt have to send log books or anything. I had my licence at the time but there is no distinction in the job skills category between licenced or unlicensed. there is a category rarely seen though that is for licensed only.

i also know there are companies who will sponsor a B2 to go, i have spoken to one guy doing so on here and also the company i work for now in the UK along with our Main Rivals will do the same. all three companies paying $130,000 or more PA.

when it comes to getting a licence with CASA (australian CAA) you only get exemptions if you are a licence holder with certain amount of time certifying on type. are you aware you have to do a minimum of 1 year out of the RAF, and certifying civilian aircraft to apply to the CAA for a licence? if you go to Australia without it, you will have to do all their exams to get a CASA B2, as they have changed over to issueing EASA style licences.

if you have any questions about anything, ask me and i will endevour to answer. be wary of anyone not in the industy giving advice, even the vic uni people, because they are often wrong. for info, i was granted my 175 visa last year. ive been throught the visa process and am doing the Licence conversion.

Hi S92LAME,

Where are you doing your air leg ??

dont know yet, will wait till i move prob if i still have to do it. however i have heard there is a possibillity of doing it in the UK somewhere. havent found out where though so not counting on it.

according to some info i have come accross. with the new CASA system that is aligned with EASA, it should be possible to convert straight over with no exams. i believe they are issuing the new licences over there as of last month, so it may be worth enquiring with them about that possibility.