driving without being insured-will we have problems emmigrating?

Guest Esme

My husband has recieved a court summons for driving with no insurance! He was driving a car insured by his work, hes a motor mechanic, his boss gave him the insurance document after some dilly dallying and we went to the police station at first oppertunity. We have now found out after getting this summons that his boss has never paid for the insurance and so it was cancelled. Our own car has always been fully comp and we have never had any dealing with the police or court before (apart form driving points) my husband has a clean licence and now faces 6-8 points and a fine of £5k. There is nothing we can do as jobs are few and far between so he'll have to stay with this employer who keeps fobbing him off saying oh it was the wrong document i'm having the other insurance sent over. I doubt he has insurance at all!

Will a court fine/prosecution stop us emmigrating and if we can emmigrate will the points have an impact on employment or oz car insurance?:unsure:

Thanks

Guest siamsusie
My husband has recieved a court summons for driving with no insurance! He was driving a car insured by his work, hes a motor mechanic, his boss gave him the insurance document after some dilly dallying and we went to the police station at first oppertunity. We have now found out after getting this summons that his boss has never paid for the insurance and so it was cancelled. Our own car has always been fully comp and we have never had any dealing with the police or court before (apart form driving points) my husband has a clean licence and now faces 6-8 points and a fine of £5k. There is nothing we can do as jobs are few and far between so he'll have to stay with this employer who keeps fobbing him off saying oh it was the wrong document i'm having the other insurance sent over. I doubt he has insurance at all!

Will a court fine/prosecution stop us emmigrating and if we can emmigrate will the points have an impact on employment or oz car insurance?:unsure:

Thanks

Hi Esme,

No this wont stop you emigrating to Australia.

As with anything to do with the Department of Immigration, it is always best to be totally honest and declaring whatever offences have occurred , outlining details in a covering letter.

So dont worry! and best wishes with your application.

I feel very sorry to hear of the circumstances though:mad: 5K and points are not to be sneezed at! makes you wonder eh!

Susie x

sorry to hear about your hubby's drama's.

As Siam say's, it wont have any effect on the visa at all.

Also on a brighter side, when you emigrate, the points are left behind & you start again.

Hope you can get things sorted without too much cost & hassle.

Thank you both so much for replying, had very little sleep over this. Hubby went to see a solicitor today and said basically his employer needs to be honest and tell him if he is insured, if he is then it will be wavered in court, if he isnt he will get the points but as it was unintentinal and had no offences before they may go easy with the fine, just need to make sure the fine is paid before we move, hope its not too big as its going to eat into what little savings we have, but feel more positive today x x

If it helps at all I had to go to court twice in January. Once for driving with no insurance and once for allowing someone else to drive without insurance. Neither was deliberate but that's not the point.

There was also a young chap at the first hearing who was there for the same reasons as your husband ie driving company vehicle with no insurance. Unfortunately in that instance the court decided it was the drivers responsibility to ensure he was covered.

For each of the offences I committed I received 6 points and a £160 fine including costs. As my points totaled 12 on the last hearing I then lost my license for 6 months.

So.... your husband might not be looking at a fine as large as you might be anticipating.

Fingers crossed for you!

Now I'm going to crawl back in my corner and hang my head in shame..... :embarrassed:

Guest RunnerBean

It just seems crazy that your husband's employer will get off scott free?! Fingers crossed that it's not as bad as you fear x

Archived