Molly35

Evidence of continuing professional development for registration with AHPRA

Hi all

I need to submit evidence of CPD for AHPRA for registration. I am a bit confused as to what to send to them for this. I have been a mentor to a 3rd year student nurse from Jan - March this year and was wondering if this would account for the 20 hours evidence? as I have worked with her on lots of my shifts 12.5 hrs? She said she will write a statement for me and I was going to write a reflective piece to cover the time I have worked with her and the learning outcomes I wanted to achieve with her. Do you think that this would be sufficient? I have looked at the FAQ on AHPRA website, but would liketo hear from anyone who has sent in their CPD to give me some reassurance I am on the right track or will I need to send in a lot more written evidence to cover this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Guest Hacking family

Hi just seen your post. I have been asked the same and wondered if you could let me know what you eventually sent in. Thanks for any help.

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I produced about 8 pages of typed information on the computer for this.

Here is an example of how I laid it out.

Learning Activity 1

Dates of Learning Activity

Hours of Learning Activity

Desccription of Learning Activity

Learning Outcomes

Learning Plan

Outcome of Learning Activity.

I produced 6 learning activities that totalled the hours they needed. Activities can be almost anything you like, I used activities such as being a mentor to a student nurse- this accounted for a lot of hours as I had one for 8 weeks so this used 132 hours approx. I also included attendance at mandatory training such as manual handling, fire safety. Other examples include learning my IV drugs, blood transfusions and reading journals and textbooks. Once I had printed it all I stapled it together to produce an a4 booklet, then got my deputy ward manager to sign it and date it, if you don't want your manager to know you are going to Australia just say you have produced it for your prep requirements for the NMC (this is what I did!) I also got my student nurse to write a statement about me and sent in any certificates associated with my learning activities, e.g, IV certificate, manual handling. AHPRA seemed to be happy with this and I got my registration within 6 weeks of sending off application. (Perth office are excellent). Hope this helps as I know I was really struggling on how to do the Continuing evidence of professional development and just hoped that the evidence I produced was ok.

Guest Hacking family

Hi and thanks for your reply. I had listed my CPD on my CV but had not put hours spent on each activity. I e-mailed the Perth office and told them this and the reply was "if it's listed on your CV then sorry for the oversight". I am worried now that i should redo the list and do something like you have with time spent etc. They also want me to provide a reference from my manager. They also told me i needed to get my document signed by a notary too, not my manager - wish they'd get their act together.

Thanks for all your help and good luck with the visa, whereabouts in Perth are you hoping to go, we're hoping to head to the Rockingham area as we have friends in Baldivis.

Sarah

Guest guest36187

I have been a nurse in oz for almost seven years now. For cpd I do the following. I developed a form for myself which has the following on it.

What I learned

Where I learned it

Who taught it?

What I learnt from it?

How it will affect my practise?

How it has benefitted me?

It's surprising how many things you can count as cpd. Meetings, family meetings, training sessions you give, training sessions you attend, the time you prepare teaching sessions.

I know I got my 20 hours for 2011-12 by the end of my first month!!!! It all adds up real quick.

Guest vretchy

Hi,

AHPRA also wanted me to give a CPD. May I ask to those who conducted lectures, if the learning outcomes should be focusing on to the students? Ex: After the lecture, the students will be able to... or should it be focusing on me (lecturer's side) ex: I was able to comprehend on the student's level of learning after the activity.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you very much

Vretchy