ex forces/serving who are applying for a visa..Can be so complicated !

brideycollette

Guest guest48800

Firstly, congratulations Gordon & Tanya and Gaz n family on your visas!

We've finally made the decision...and have signed on with an agent! We're both tighter than the proverbial gnats *****... so ummed and ahhed for longer than we probably should have, given the time we have to get everything submitted! But in order to get 176 application in before July we can't afford to mess up and the agent does have contacts/knowledge that we don't. OH got a laugh when he walked into their office on Friday with a holdall full of paperwork/cerfificates/pdr and 25 years worth of RN pay statements!:laugh:

They think we've got a fair chance of making the July deadline, we both believe they would have been honest if they thought otherwise. So all systems go! Applying for VIC SS at the same time so fingers crossed!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Peeps

back again. Gordon and Tamya I cannot pm as realised my boofooness on computers extends to not knowing how to pm someone! Bridie - how aret hings going? Wodster hope that agents works his socks off for you. Gaz and family - I can think of only one word 'Jack' - no joking aside CONGRATULATIONS really looking forward to following your posts on the next step of things.

So for all you with military pensions and graturity if not too personal - did you decide to commute as much as possible? What effects does emigrating have on pension - is it just paid overseas? I know these are muppet questions but I thought I would try you lot first as I am feeling a bit deflated at the moment. Trying to think how we can convince Melbourne they want us, whilst still waiting for the IELTS results (due on Friday) and waiting for Engineers Astralia who are now quoting 6 weeks for straight forward qualification verification (instead of two weks) and up to 6 months for competence based stuff. Just feel a bit deflated... so cheer me up and talk about the money

Guest snowy10
Hello Peeps

back again. Gordon and Tamya I cannot pm as realised my boofooness on computers extends to not knowing how to pm someone! Bridie - how aret hings going? Wodster hope that agents works his socks off for you. Gaz and family - I can think of only one word 'Jack' - no joking aside CONGRATULATIONS really looking forward to following your posts on the next step of things.

So for all you with military pensions and graturity if not too personal - did you decide to commute as much as possible? What effects does emigrating have on pension - is it just paid overseas? I know these are muppet questions but I thought I would try you lot first as I am feeling a bit deflated at the moment. Trying to think how we can convince Melbourne they want us, whilst still waiting for the IELTS results (due on Friday) and waiting for Engineers Astralia who are now quoting 6 weeks for straight forward qualification verification (instead of two weks) and up to 6 months for competence based stuff. Just feel a bit deflated... so cheer me up and talk about the money

The advice I was given at one of the emigrate fairs was that you can not transfer your military pension overseas.

It must be paid into a UK bank account and then you have to make regular tranfers/exchanges to your Ozzie bank account.

You can however ask for the pension to be paid tax free and then pay the income tax on it in Australia with the rest of your earnings. At least that way there is no confusion, if you decide to pay tax on your pension in the UK then I beleive Oz have a tax aggreement with the UK so you won't get taxed twice on that income.

On the subject of commuting, I did not commute any, I would prefer to have a larger monthly income than lump sum. From my calculations it seemed a very expensive way of "borrowing" money from your pension, but it's all down to circumstances and personal preference.

Thank you Snowy. Gosh it gets trickier day by day! I guess you cannot transfer it as we do not have a 'pot' of money - the pension will come from future governments. i wonder if you can pick and choose what date it is paid to beneift from exchange rates. Commuting is such a difficult choice as well. For us it would mean that we would have 12 years with a smaller pension but would have enough money to get an almost mortgage free house. If we go for the larger pension it will limit our house buying but means if the worse happens and we could not get a job we would have enough money to live on (frugally!) Oh well let's wait and see what the IELTS result is....

Snowy are you Army - already a pom in oz or are you still waiting for your 176 to be further processed. If your timeline is still accurate it cannot be long to go for you now...

Guest snowy10

The pension gets paid on the same date each month, you would then have to choose when to convert it to dollars. You can set up a regular payment with one of the big money transfer companies or if you find work leave it where it is and just transfer it when the exchange rate is good.

I've just left the RAF (Dec 10), was an aircraft technician. We have a case officer and had our medicals on Friday. We should have been getting a visa fairly soon but my urine sample had protein in it. God only knows what that means. Will get the results on Wednesday, hopefully there is nothing to worry about...only time will tell now!!

Good luck with your application.

The pension gets paid on the same date each month, you would then have to choose when to convert it to dollars. You can set up a regular payment with one of the big money transfer companies or if you find work leave it where it is and just transfer it when the exchange rate is good.

I've just left the RAF (Dec 10), was an aircraft technician. We have a case officer and had our medicals on Friday. We should have been getting a visa fairly soon but my urine sample had protein in it. God only knows what that means. Will get the results on Wednesday, hopefully there is nothing to worry about...only time will tell now!!

Snowy, sorry to hear the medicals didnt go too well. What have they advised (if they did)?

Fingers crossed for ya this week. Hope it lands on your door soon.

SandK - What do you mean "JACK"?:wacko:

Guest Ironduke

Two of our family had protien too but they just gave them water to drink and retested them and all was fine. You're right, there's plenty of banks etc that will let you leave your pension in their accounts until you are ready to transfer it. I'm going to leave mine in the same account as my uk mortgage in case any rental shortfalls need making up

Gaz bad attempt at humour. 'Jack' as in 'lovely for you but oh woe still for me struggling through' - which is why I followed with genuine congratulations! No offence meant honestly. Got bad habits from when I was around all that navy lot down in Plymouth.

Snowy hubby had protein in his urine and it was at a medical when he was suffering from having had a few nights out and about! As Ironduke said drink loads (literally until urine is colourless) and hopefully you should be fine. Have they said when they will re-test? Thank you for information regarding pension.

Good luck.

Gaz bad attempt at humour. 'Jack' as in 'lovely for you but oh woe still for me struggling through' - which is why I followed with genuine congratulations! No offence meant honestly. Got bad habits from when I was around all that navy lot down in Plymouth.
Oh god, sorry. I wasn't offended and no offence taken, honest. Thanks for the congrats.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest 47403

Has anyone who's ex army been asked about there status on the reserve list? Just seen it on another forum, I'm hoping as someone who left the army in 2004 all I need to show is a certified copy of my discharge certificate.

:wubclub:Hi I thought i would start this thread ...wasn't sure what to put in the title lol hope its ok

I just thought it would be a good place for ex/serving/forces peeps and spouses of course too.

To have a place where we could query .help ..other people ...or hear of other peoples experiances trying to get a visa and the complications of applying ie paperwork ... its so hard explaining to people outside of the forces the complications sometimes with paperwork .

:wubclub:ok my story we are trying to apply for a 176 we have WA SS and we have hit a brick wall because we have been told that a serving member of the forces can't usually get a visa becauase they have to prove they can migrate

freely .... depending what co you get:wideeyed: thought they all have to go by the same rules hmmmmm ........ problem is we all know we have to give 12 months notice :twitcy: and to put notice in before we are granted a visa would be totally nuts !

We are working on it with fellow pio ex/serving forces pio peeps ( have to thankyou you all you jumped to help us :hug:)

Anyhow i have talked to much now ...i'm not great at putting finger to keyboard ...so i hope you understand what i mean by this thread lol

Brides x

Hi try this thread started over a year ago

transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

I have given loads of people advice on here, its great. My husband came over to there Navy over 2 years ago

Anita :biggrin:

I dont know who said they are not taking on poet there is a shortage of them in the Aussie navy. I would ring them in Australia and see what they have to say.

We did in even talked to Terry email,phone ...... Wasn't meant to be ..... so civvieside we are going :wideeyed:scary stuff but maybe a goodthing ..

:wubclub:Glad everything worked out for you

Brides x

anyone get SNR on their discharge papers????? (Yes please dont annoy me with any of your ****, I am fully aware of what it means and why I got it) just want to know if you guys got HD, would SNR make a difference or would they not spot it, other than that service and everything is exemplary etc.... :army-cool:

anyone get SNR on their discharge papers????? (Yes please dont annoy me with any of your ****, I am fully aware of what it means and why I got it) just want to know if you guys got HD, would SNR make a difference or would they not spot it, other than that service and everything is exemplary etc.... :army-cool:

Hi,

Sorry but I am not familiar with SNR and 'spot it' spot what?

When you fill out your character assessment paperwork for your main application with DIAC etc there is a box that you tick to indicate that if you have ever served in the Military, this then triggers a signal to the Service Police Crime Dept in Fareham where they hold all you military records. If you have ever committed a military offence then this is where it will show.

The service police paperwork together with the civilian police check is then sent to DIAC.

If this post has nothing to do with your issue then apologies in advance

Cheers

Also

I was asked to provide evidence of conduct during my military career, as you are no longer issued with a conduct sheet on discharge (time done) i had to get a letter from the military records office (of your specific arm of military) stating date served from and till, this letter had to also state my conduct throughout my time. This on top of the Police Check (which as someone else has told you includes a search of military records.

You might want to be less abrupt on your query, people will not try to help. Saying things like "Dont annoy me" might not go down too well with some.

noted yoyo,gaz, however you always get some smart arse who will point out the obvious and will deserve a slap for stupid comments, hence my comment,to pre-empt this, I was mearly asking who had Services No longer Required on their discharge papers instead of the usual Hounorable Discharge,(would they spot the difference) Thus finding out if anyone had a problem with this (while applying for a visa) as I had exemplary service report (left in 05') I was hoping it would not be an issue,

also define Military offence......:army-tongue:

my guess, and i mean guess (i was a good boy, or never got caught) if it was sever enough to discharge SNLR then i guess it would be on your military record somewhere. Unless you were discarged unsuitable for service life, usually un happy jnr or anti war thoughts. Did you have a court martial or warrant reading? If so i would have said it will be on both military and civvy records thanks to PACE, but not kowing your story its difficult to say. Go on admit it, you filled in your boss.......

LOL, I wish, our Provost was a ****, no, nothing major was excellent throughout my time, lived in germany for a few years as well, loved it there, went to Bosnia and Kosovo, everything was going swimmingly until I met a girl, then it all started to fall apart, they did say in basic training never fall in love or it will end your career, (at 16 I laughed this off!) so, you can see where this is going can't you, I decided that I didnt want to be a pad and have a family in the army, though I have many friends who are still in and married with kids and are very happy, its just the route I did not want to go down, so I decided that a years notice was to long to give so I said my goodbyes to my mates and left at the weekend!!! You know what, someone should come up with an acronym for going- Absent Without Offical Leave.......:army-wink: would this show up?????

Never had a Ct Marsh, not familiar with warrant reading, please divulge....

:wubclub:Hi I thought i would start this thread ...wasn't sure what to put in the title lol hope its ok

I just thought it would be a good place for ex/serving/forces peeps and spouses of course too.

To have a place where we could query .help ..other people ...or hear of other peoples experiances trying to get a visa and the complications of applying ie paperwork ... its so hard explaining to people outside of the forces the complications sometimes with paperwork .

:wubclub:ok my story we are trying to apply for a 176 we have WA SS and we have hit a brick wall because we have been told that a serving member of the forces can't usually get a visa becauase they have to prove they can migrate

freely .... depending what co you get:wideeyed: thought they all have to go by the same rules hmmmmm ........ problem is we all know we have to give 12 months notice :twitcy: and to put notice in before we are granted a visa would be totally nuts !

We are working on it with fellow pio ex/serving forces pio peeps ( have to thankyou you all you jumped to help us :hug:)

Anyhow i have talked to much now ...i'm not great at putting finger to keyboard ...so i hope you understand what i mean by this thread lol

Brides x

Great thread. I have been browsing PIO for the past year or so gathering information for when my other half leaves the marines (Feb, 2014 after 22 yrs service). I am keen to move to Oz but i am still working on hubby, hence me trying to find positive information on this site. It is really helpful to hear others experiences. We went to the Live Down Under expo in London last year and was told by an agent there that it wasn't worth applying as he was still serving and we would more than likely be turned down. Following further enquiries, i found out that a letter from his CO stating his discharge date would be enough for us to go for 176 visa. Others on this site had gained 176 in similar circumstances. However, because he isn't due out for another 2 and half years, we haven't felt the need to apply just yet.

We were planning a reccie in October this year but have recently found out he won't be in the country...so that put a stop to that for the moment. Neither of us has been to Oz, but know people over there. Have others who are taking the leap visited previosly or or you just taking a chance that you will like it and going straight for the visa?

My OH is worried about work prospects if and when we move down under. He would more than likely have to train for a new career (he will then be 46 when he leaves) and i would have to be the sole earner for a while...i am a social worker and so we would apply on my qualifications. I have looked into all this and my options seem promising. He however, is nervous...think he would be anyway, even if he we weren't considering emigrating.

I was wondering where people are thinking of settling. I would prefer to settle in WA. Was also wondering what occupations people will be settling into when they arrive in Oz and if anyone would be in the same predicament as my other half and have to re train. If looking at different careers, what plans do you have? I have looked into the WA prison service as a possibility for future employment for my OH, as you can apply once you have PR.

Top of my worries at the moment is the current exchange rate, and cost of living in Oz. I would probably have to start at the bottom again in my career and would probably be earning around $65,000 per annum in WA (looking at current posts). Anybody know how far this would go. We would have the funds for OH to have up to a year off to settle the kids in, find out feet etc.

At the moment we have a happyish life here in the UK. Nice house, family up the road, excellent schools, i work part-time. However, me and the children live in Dorset and he is drafted to Plymouth so he only gets to come home at weekends, if he is actually in the country. We have been living like this for the past 10 years as we thought it was better for the kids to be settled rather than move around. However, i dream of us all living under one roof all of the time, and having quality time in a country where kids can be kids for longer and live an outdoor lifestyle. I know Oz doesn't have all of the answers to my dreams, but i would prefer to give it a go than 10 years down the line regret not trying it. However, i am nervous at the prospect of moving down under and absolutely hating it! I guess these feelings are common.

Sorry to ramble on...its nice to know that my obsession with Oz is shared by others. Any views/hints/tips would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks,

Suzanne 38, Tim 44, Abbey7 and Ollie 3.

Thinking of starting the process early 2012.

Just a quick one for you guys talking about the 12 months notice, If you have a valid reason you can leave as early as 3 months I believe, I gave my notice and left in 7 months and also my mate got a job offer in Hong Kong and was out in about 4 months but that was his choice (Could have been earlier if he wanted), I'm not too sure if its the case for everyone as I see a lot of old and bold nearing the 22 mark,

Just a quick one for livinthedream, if you guys are going for 176 you might have to start sooner rather than later,

"Who is this visa for?

This visa is for you if you:

are under 45 years of age

have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)"

Just a quick one for you guys talking about the 12 months notice, If you have a valid reason you can leave as early as 3 months I believe, I gave my notice and left in 7 months and also my mate got a job offer in Hong Kong and was out in about 4 months but that was his choice (Could have been earlier if he wanted), I'm not too sure if its the case for everyone as I see a lot of old and bold nearing the 22 mark,

Just a quick one for livinthedream, if you guys are going for 176 you might have to start sooner rather than later,

"Who is this visa for?

This visa is for you if you:

are under 45 years of age

have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)"

My apologies, just noticed you said that you will be applying on your quals,