Any regrets on moving back to UK?

Creese

However, understand that Australia is just the same when it comes to cut backs and people losing work.

Not at all, at least not in Qld. Australia is not without it's problems but in the 17 yrs that I've been here, I have never heard of cutbacks in the public sectors controlling health services and law and order. In fact, they are constantly expanding.

I can well understand itsShirley's fears but they are nothing new to the UK. My wife was in the last nursing intake to be trained "on the ward". The press made a big fuss about it as at the same time, the NHS was setting up "the trust' system and nurse training was to be done in Uni. There were 28 in her class and of these, 7 are definitely in Oz, 4 in the US, and at least 3 are known have quit nursing. Not only did the NHS lose 11 nurses, a small town also lost 11 families. They left because they felt that they couldn't nurse as they felt they should be able to do, something that we are still hearing, even today, the major difference being that the nurses today also have the double whammy of job insecurity.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all, at least not in Qld. Australia is not without it's problems but in the 17 yrs that I've been here, I have never heard of cutbacks in the public sectors controlling health services and law and order. In fact, they are constantly expanding.

I can well understand itsShirley's fears but they are nothing new to the UK. My wife was in the last nursing intake to be trained "on the ward". The press made a big fuss about it as at the same time, the NHS was setting up "the trust' system and nurse training was to be done in Uni. There were 28 in her class and of these, 7 are definitely in Oz, 4 in the US, and at least 3 are known have quit nursing. Not only did the NHS lose 11 nurses, a small town also lost 11 families. They left because they felt that they couldn't nurse as they felt they should be able to do, something that we are still hearing, even today, the major difference being that the nurses today also have the double whammy of job insecurity.

I'm referring generally to any industy rather than to just health and law & order. I too understand and agree to itsShirley's fears, but Australia is certainly not immune to any of it.

I'm referring generally to any industy rather than to just health and law & order. What about the well below inflatiion pay inceases that many public sector workers - teacher, health staff, police - have recently been offered? I too understand and agree to itsShirley's fears, but Australia is certainly not immune to any of it.

An offer is just that. I have never known a union accept a below inflation pay offer, nor have I known one accepted in the public sector. I shall wait and see before passing judgementm, but either way, it would bear no comparison to what some of my friends and family are experiencing in the UK.

An offer is just that. I have never known a union accept a below inflation pay offer, nor have I known one accepted in the public sector. I shall wait and see before passing judgementm, but either way, it would bear no comparison to what some of my friends and family are experiencing in the UK.

And some of my friends and family in the UK are actually doing much better than others of mine in Australia. It's not often just to UK that is in doom and gloom.

Guest coruscating17

I always thought I'd live abroad as when I was younger I couldn't see what the UK had to offer me, apart from my wonderful family and friends. I loved the idea of living in a country where the sun always shone and you had a pool in your back garden. Then I met an Aussie in London and we moved to Oz at the end of 2008 when his visa ran out. However I REALLY struggled to settle for a long time, apart from the 5 months when we were travelling which was amazing, but that's not 'real life'! After travelling we lived in Newcastle near his family but until we decided we would definitely come back to the UK I just couldn't enjoy it. After that I did start to settle and enjoy, but I think that's because I knew there was an end point. I came home several times for short trips during those 3 years and LOVED being home every time. Living abroad made me appreciate everything I had always taken for granted in the UK...the history, beautiful countryside, pub scene, much greater range of products and services, proximity to the rest of the world and cheaper travel, and of course my family and friends here. We moved back 3 months ago and although there are things I definitely miss about Oz now I'm back, I've realised it's all material things...the much higher pay, bigger houses and cheaper restaurant prices plus more disposable income in Oz. However, for me money isn't that important when I think back to how much I missed home and never felt like I belonged in Oz. We of course will be back to visit, and may even live there again one day (have to be able to compromise when in a relationship with someone from the other side of the world!!) but for now I am very happy to be back home. The healthy exchange rate has really helped us out with bringing our savings back, especially as we had to start all over again here so now have very little money left! And I am finding that back in the UK we have to be much smarter with money and consider what we're spending whereas in Oz we were getting paid double (equivalently) than we are here so money wasn't an issue, but it doesn't change my love of being home.

I think it can be very unsettling comparing countries, as ideally everyone would want the best of both worlds...the higher wages, sun and big houses in Oz combined with the countryside, history and easy travel in UK, but we can't have everything and you have to decide what your priorities are. If it's money and sun, I suggest Oz. If it's culture, family and friends, I suggest UK!

It's not an easy decision for anyone and I've had my dodgy moments already when I'm at work (I'm a nurse) and getting paid so little back in the UK, but then I remember why I wanted to come back and it's all OK again :)

Guest Guest31881

Can I remind members this thread is in the Moving back to the UK section. Its not an excuse to argue the merits of Australia V UK, its for members who are ether returning or thinking of returning. Now can we please remember what the original post was about....

Hi

Just wanted to ask, does anyone have any regrets on moving from OZ back to the UK? How did the kids go on the move? Did they settle back ok?

Is the UK as bad as the doom and gloom you hear of on the news?

Now unless you have moved back to the UK and can contribute to the thread, please leave the thread alone for those it is intended for. You may not agree with their reasons or beliefs but that is no excuse to sidetrack the thread.

Thanks folks, now play nice please.

well my story has a bit of flavor to it as I have migrated most of my life. Originally from Zimbabwe came to England, studies and worked as a mental health nurse. went through the Uk work permit scenario, to permanent residence then British citizenship.worked in the NHS all the time. in 2006 NHS trusts in london started to restructure to attain foundation status and we where being redeployed to other areas of the trust. i got fed up so i went to OZ. worked in Melbourne, loved the life and as nurses we earned quite a bit. My wife wanted to train as a midwife so we came back to the UK for her to do hat under NHS secondment. Got a job in the NHS again. Just recently the trust i work for has also started to restructure for them to get foundation status. now they are talking or voluntary redundancy and compulsory redundancy packages, i went for the strike. At least my wife has finished her training and I realized I was not the only one who missed OZ. Im so happy we are moving back to OZ because it was a painful wait. Now i can go back and have a drink with my Oz buddies and actually hear hear my neighbour say good morning to me and have a sensible conversation without being judgemental. What I realised here in england is that the work place was not different because most people seem to hate anyone who meets the migrant worker appearance. All I could hear was British jobs for British people, by appearance i mean! this goes to show how it has become a natural selection scenario- survival of the fittest in the NHS. When i go back to AU this time it will take a lot of convincing to come back. I will keep the British passport because its good for travelling. So yes I regret coming back. And yeah I got the voluntary redundancy payout, it will surely go a long way in redecorating my house in OZ- Thank you NHS

Mine were just 3, 5 and 7 and are now in their 30's. they tell me they always missed growing up with their cousins and having aunts and uncles like their friends - not easier for them!

I did it without the extended family and my chidren have also had no extended family from my oh side. As my brother has no children no cousins here. However both of them know their cousins and extended family and even if we had stayed in UK we would probably have lived away from them due to work.

Just because we live apart does not mean we do not care or are not cared about.

Having dual citizenship my children can go over anytime but they are not inclined to, apart from holidays.

Guest Guest31881

I have closed the thread while it is being cleaned and looked at.

Right I have reopened the thread. please read post Post 106,

I am not going to repeat all of that.

If this request to behave and stay on topic is ignored some members may find that it can be very quiet over Christmas when you cannot post......

Remember MBTUK goes both ways, members who are moving back to the UK or thinking of moving back are encouraged to post on MBTUK for help and information... If you post to insult members who are not moving back then you are under the same rules as others and these posts can and will be removed and further action could be taken.

If I have to clean this thread again it will be closed. If you cannot post in the spirit of the OP's question, then do us all a favour and keep quiet.

very good reply by conniebygaslight , i emigrated to townsville in aug 2011 but didnt work out then moved over to perth in nov 2011 where i'm at now. i am very patriotic to england and the uk as a whole, i'm from carlisle cumbria originally and wanted to emigrate for 10 ish years, tookl me 2 years to get thru the system and thought id love it here in oz but i look out for anything british warts and all and now appreciate what i miss about the uk. i hope i settle over here and have said to myself to give it 1 year so ill make my decision in july/august 2012