Any regrets on moving back to UK?

Creese

it honestly depends where you retire to in the U.K ......iam here currently ,and see the best and the worst .

Those with a decent life .....living in a decent area have a life comparable with anywhere .....those in the urban areas ,that can be different matter .

carried out a job for a couple in their 70s in lechlade on thames ? - nice place .

They had normal house etc ......

a nice area ......reasonably close to london .....close to motorways ....and generally very happy with their lot .

Its about inner contentment

i can honestly say , in general ,people in the UK,are great to deal with ,whether it be Stoke or Stratford

That is one of the many things that I love - the people are so easy to deal with, and honest to boot. I'm in the process of renovating a house so am using all sorts of tradesmen - I did the same in Oz and only have bad memories as the 'tradies' were invariably arrogant, then rude (on hearing my accent) then vastly overpriced. But that goes for fixing the car and just about all facets of life.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy I lived in Aus and moved back home, its made me appreciate home, surroundings and my family more. I remember the day when I was told I can come home with my children, I remember feeling taller, I floated and felt like my sentence was over..... I was going home to where I belonged.

I've since visited Australia and loved it, I had a great time catching up with family and friends there and I do miss heaps of things...... but I couldn't live there again. I am better suited to the UK, bloody love it here! This is home and I aint going anywhere again!!!

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!!! I LOVE reading everyone's posts about being home again! Im going home for Christmas this year (just for 3 weeks) then moving early next year. I cannot wait. even the air smells different. On my last visit, i stepped off the plane and I felt like i could breath again. such relief and happiness! I will NEVER take the UK for granted ever again! :-)

Great to hear you (Quoll) are back in the land of living.

We too have been blown away by the level of care here for elderly parents - it would never happen in Oz and you certainly wouldn't meet so many interesting carers, from so many different countries. And how easy is it to see a doctor (free of course). Gone are the days of waiting two weeks and stumping up $70 for a third-rate service!

Aside from that, don't you just love that sense of 'belonging'? I get tingles up my spine sometimes, just looking at the countryside, breathing the air or being in London.

My Dad paid 640 quid a week in 2005 for his nursing home - is OZ even worse than that? There are plenty of doctors in Sydney who bulk bill and you can see them on the day just like in UK.

Guest ShellBee

It is so good to hear that when people return they feel good. For ages I've been wondering whether I would return & feel I've made a mistake. So many people ask me why I want to to go back but I want all the things you have all mentioned BUT most of all I want to belong. My only problem is trying to convience my Aussie OH who think OZ is perfect! Cant wait to feel content & happy again!

Hi Shellbee,

I feel your concerns, my OH is also an Aussie and never has a bad thing to say about Oz.

I feel confident that he will adapt though. with lots of lovely (cheap) get aways to Europe, Im sure that will be enough of a distraction! ;-P

When do you plan on going and where are you aiming for?

Flake x

Guest Guest31881
Hi Shellbee,

I feel confident that he will adapt though. with lots of lovely (cheap) get aways to Europe, Im sure that will be enough of a distraction! ;-P

Flake x

When My wife first moved to the UK 12 years ago now, she was won over by the fact that Europe was literally a train ride away. Took her on the Pride of Bilbao (Booze Cruise) and she loved the 3 days on that, and she enjoyed the whole experience.

Good luck for the future I hope works out for you all.

We have reversed places now and living in Australia.

Guest ShellBee
Hi Shellbee,

I feel your concerns, my OH is also an Aussie and never has a bad thing to say about Oz.

When do you plan on going and where are you aiming for?

Flake x

Hi Flake,

I've been wanting to go back for 18 months now but my OH keeps changing the goal post. Plan to move to Winchester which is close to all family & friends & 50 mins from Clapham Junction, New Forest & beaches! For the last 6 months he's been saying he will come, but just the other day he said he didn't want to and he's not doing it for him. Gutted! We are trying to work it through but I know i have to go back one way or the other. Next Sept is the plan but if he backs out I'll go tomorrow. It's heartbreaking! I don't know what else to say or do.

I do hope your having better luck than me.

Oh I feel so sad for you. It really is so hard. Me and my OH had some real turmoil when we first discussed it, we have been together for 2.5 years now and I can safely say the first 1.5 years were really hard around this topic.

It got to the point where I had to let it go (for my own sanity too) in the hope he would come round to it, and thankfully he has. I just had to take that pressure away from him.

I was though prepared to take the risk of moving back on my own in the hope he would follow.

I felt that if he was not willing to attempt even trying a couple of years of living in the UK , that I would end up resenting him long term and our relationship would fail.

Cross-continental relationships are very hard, and require much bigger compromises than usual.

Perhaps it’s worth having the discussion of at least trying a stint together in the UK, so that you know he has given it a go.

If you end up living back in Oz , you will at least have the peace of mind of knowing that you have both made an informed decision together, rather than it being dictated by one side.

I think if your OH really values the longevity of your relationship, he has to accept he needs to give you a little if he expects a big sacrifice from you in the end.

If it were me, I would explain this to him, put the ball in his court and say you expect an answer on it within a certain amount of time.

If he can’t give you the willingness to even try, then you should make your own plans.

I wish you all the luck, I hope your OH comes to realise that the fear of change in continents for what could be a fairly short time is much a much better prospect , than the fear of life without you forever.

Good Luck xx

Guest ShellBee

It sounds as though we've had the same thought process. It's so good to hear that you've finally got there. Maybe there is hope for me yet but the last thing I want to do is drag him back kicking and screaming and ending up as unhappy as I am. I want him to make up his own mind & if he can't commit then I'm free to take the next step. Sounds so easy hey? If only.

Thank you for your kind words and support. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Shellie

Hi Flake,

I've been wanting to go back for 18 months now but my OH keeps changing the goal post. Plan to move to Winchester which is close to all family & friends & 50 mins from Clapham Junction, New Forest & beaches! For the last 6 months he's been saying he will come, but just the other day he said he didn't want to and he's not doing it for him. Gutted! We are trying to work it through but I know i have to go back one way or the other. Next Sept is the plan but if he backs out I'll go tomorrow. It's heartbreaking! I don't know what else to say or do.

I do hope your having better luck than me.

I used to love visiting Winchester from my portsmouth home, walking down the high street with the olde buildings, especially xmas. king arthur statue and the cathederal is great, i am not religious but love visiting the place, and just a short drive to salisbury too. i damn near homesick for 5 mins then. good luck in whatever you decide.

It is so good to hear that when people return they feel good. For ages I've been wondering whether I would return & feel I've made a mistake. So many people ask me why I want to to go back but I want all the things you have all mentioned BUT most of all I want to belong. My only problem is trying to convience my Aussie OH who think OZ is perfect! Cant wait to feel content & happy again!

Oh dear, the mixed marriage!!!!

Miracles can happen! My DH is an Aussie who was never never ever (get the picture) going to live in UK again and had no intention of leaving his garden in suburban Canberra (even going interstate was a chore). Fast forward to this year, he managed to come for 5 weeks (the rest of us were scheduled for 8 weeks) for our son's wedding (he's missed quite a few of the son's significant events because he chose not to come but couldnt miss the wedding really!!!). However in the process he saw how frail my parents had become and was talking about coming to UK after Christmas so we could look after them (major step there!)

Things went a tad pear shaped after that and the result was that I didnt return to Australia :yes: and he realized I was having a hard time and was back on the plane a month after he had left having packed up several cartons of our stuff and sent that off. Although he still expects to return to Australia (I'm working on that one) he is getting his UK citizenship by descent, has dug 3 garden beds and made one compost heap with 2 more in the wings, joined the gym, fixed the son's bike and bought a new helmet and he seems perfectly happy with his lot, not moping around being miserable as he assured me he would be in those lengthy arguments we used to have! We have been spending more time doing things together - major plus! and he even enjoyed a trip to London where I did my thing and he was free to potter in the second hand bookshops and was thrilled to discover some amazing hardware shops.

So, it can happen, it can work - all you have to do is get him on the plane (4x2 and duct tape have been suggested on here in the past!)

My thoughts are if the love & respect for each other is strong enough, one of you has to give - its just the deciding on what is the best of a bad situation.

My ex husband wouldn't even consider moving back to the UK, hence one of the reasons (note I say one!!) we are now divorced and living on the other side of the world from each other.

If one is miserable and desperate in one country and the OH just doesn't like the other country....... then for me I would prefer to be in a country I didn't like (you help this by activities etc) than be in a country where desperation and complete unhappiness takes hold.

No regrets at all from my end :) Best decision I ever made. Its unfortunate for the children not being with their Dad, but once again - its all about making the best from a not so perfect situation and we do this :) Life is much happier, calmer and less isolated. Love it.

Guest jodie stott
I can totally relate to that Mrs I. I have had 12 years of feeling so disconnected, I went home to Scotland for a holiday, INSTANTLY felt at home, alive and real again. Cannot wait to fly home for good in less than 3 weeks.

Also, I have realised how much I feel that energy just saps right out of me in this heat! I am definately not as active as I used to be .... inside and outside the home. Australia does have beautiful beaches but we are obviously Made In Scotland so couldn't really stay too long out in the daytime sun. :smile:

Hi there how is scotland? are you glad to be back? WE HAVE BEEN HERE IN SYDNEY FIVE WEEKS FROM ABERDEEN, MISS THE DREECH AND FEEL very HOMESICK TA XX

Guest jodie stott
Is it Aberdeen the place or is it people that you miss?

:cute:

lol, believe it or not its the place, the dark afternoons the rain, the call, the hills,union street balmedie beach stonehaven the parks, lol and a hand fae a folk :) how is it??????? r u glad to be back?????

lol, believe it or not its the place, the dark afternoons the rain, the call, the hills,union street balmedie beach stonehaven the parks, lol and a hand fae a folk :) how is it??????? r u glad to be back?????

I am not back in Scotland and I am re-thinking things at the moment. I was like you very emotional when I made my decisions and now that I am less so I am starting think that going back with the way the economy & unemployment is might not be the best thing to do.

I have not ruled out going back but I am just weighing everything up!

Emma

Guest itsSHIRLEY

I would not be leaving if i didnt think that the uk is in a bad way. The royal college of nursing has told us there will be cuts of 56,000 jobs 38,000 in england and the majority of these will be nursing posts .....how can we as nurses provide good healthcare with all these cuts, my friends husband is a comunity officer and wants to join the police but there is a 4 year freeze on posts and training. just think how many will be leaving over the next 4 years retiring etc and these posts will not be filled.My husband works for the local council and they have hinted he will be out of a job by april 2012 cuts again. so what does this mean for people in the uk. less police on the streets, less nurses looking after you in hospital, less for your money provided by local councils and thats just the start. teenagers are now high in the majority of people unable to get jobs......so why would i stay here....

Aberdeen- the dark, the rain, union street.

Funny that you miss all that.,. Have to say one thing about Aberdeen, it does have a certain charm and is a very beautiful city with all those old granite buildings and lovely parks. Saying that I certainly wouldnt miss Union Street is awful.

I lived in Aberdeen for quite a long time and had a great time there but would nver go back there again now - only to visit family. Is a bit too cold for me. Two of my sisters live there or around and swear by the place. They turned into real Aberdonians now lol.

Still love to go back on short visits though normally at xmas (going on the 22nd woohooo!) :)

Anyway hope the homesickness passes.

Good luck!

I would not be leaving if i didnt think that the uk is in a bad way. The royal college of nursing has told us there will be cuts of 56,000 jobs 38,000 in england and the majority of these will be nursing posts .....how can we as nurses provide good healthcare with all these cuts, my friends husband is a comunity officer and wants to join the police but there is a 4 year freeze on posts and training. just think how many will be leaving over the next 4 years retiring etc and these posts will not be filled.My husband works for the local council and they have hinted he will be out of a job by april 2012 cuts again. so what does this mean for people in the uk. less police on the streets, less nurses looking after you in hospital, less for your money provided by local councils and thats just the start. teenagers are now high in the majority of people unable to get jobs......so why would i stay here....

I agree, why would you stay in the UK. However, understand that Australia is just the same when it comes to cut backs and people losing work. Only recently we've had Victorian and WA nurses on strike because they've been offered well below the inflationary increases in salary for the next 3+ years. QLD workers seem always to be going on strike due to pay and conditions, whilst the federal politicians have given themselves huge, big pay rises. Australian Tourism is going to wall due to the high value of the AUD$, the number of natural disasters in 2010/2011 and the amount of people chosing either not to holiday in Australia or Australians holidaying abroad (if they can afford to take a holiday at all). Taxes are constantly being introduced and increased to help the current government get back into surplus (along with the cut backs recently introduced by the Australian Treasurer, Wayne Swan). The list goes on. Moving to another country doesn't guarantee anyone a better life, good work prospects, better standards of living etc. By all means consider other countries to live in but remember the grass isn't always going to be greener on the other side, something I've found out myself along with many others. I thought exactly the same when I was living in the UK and dreamt of my new life across the other side of the world and how it would be so much better. I saw pictures of the lifestyle, the big houses, promises of better pay and work conditions, people with smiles on their faces 'hanging out' with other people with smiles on their faces. I came here and very little have all of that, if any of it. People are having to spend all their wages on mortgages and cover the huge annual increases in the costs of living - electricity, water, petrol, travel, food. Retailers are crying foul because the Australian public is scared to spend money resulting in many shops - big brands as well as mid-to-small businesses - either closing or shipping work overseas, just like in the UK. In fact, we're actually worse off than we were in the UK. I'm not necessarily regretting it - life is an adventure and you make and do decisions based on experiences, thoughts, your current surroundings etc - but Australia isn't always going to be the answer.