Any regrets on moving back to UK?

Creese

Hi guys we came back to the UK in November last year family of 4, 2 adults 2 kids aged 4 and 3.

I regretted coming back quite literally the day after we landed realising it was just superficial stuff i had missed the, family were the same as if we hadn't even been gone and friends well you can count true friends on one hand, and their the ones saying we shouldn't have come back,

We came back because my wife was missing the family, you know the natural things to miss i guess, but we just had to get over that... maybe a little more time... there were a few things we didn't like in Oz and would have moved away from maybe, but in comparison to here, i cant believe we made that decision.

But i feel so bad about the decision to move back here, now that i realise what i left for in the first place.

Good luck and congrats to those who came back and are enjoying it, but for me , no , get me out of here :confused:

My wife has a similar feeling but she is getting on with stuff and taking it day by day , sorry to bore i could let it all out but i will leave it there for now, beers are helping ...:smile:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear that Dharma. Hopefully things will pick up for you.

I intend to head back in few months, cant see me having any regrets as I think its the place I will be most happy, however scrapping to get a job may make me think otherwise.

Guest hector vector

It's only doom and gloom here if you watch the news. - my advice is to live a life without TV and concentrate on making the best of where you are.

Guest Bobby
Hi guys we came back to the UK in November last year family of 4, 2 adults 2 kids aged 4 and 3.

I regretted coming back quite literally the day after we landed realising it was just superficial stuff i had missed the, family were the same as if we hadn't even been gone and friends well you can count true friends on one hand, and their the ones saying we shouldn't have come back,

We came back because my wife was missing the family, you know the natural things to miss i guess, but we just had to get over that... maybe a little more time... there were a few things we didn't like in Oz and would have moved away from maybe, but in comparison to here, i cant believe we made that decision.

But i feel so bad about the decision to move back here, now that i realise what i left for in the first place.

Good luck and congrats to those who came back and are enjoying it, but for me , no , get me out of here :confused:

My wife has a similar feeling but she is getting on with stuff and taking it day by day , sorry to bore i could let it all out but i will leave it there for now, beers are helping ...:smile:

There are some that are called ping-pongs that will never settle in either Country and when they are in one they want to be in the othere and visa-versa, some have ping-ponged 5 or 6 times I have heard or more belive it or not :eek: I moved to the UK after 10 years in Oz and do not miss Oz one bit at the momment and my quality of life is far better in London....but who knows what i will fell this time next year? we are just lucky to have the choice of 2 good Countries to live in that most people in this world would love to live in. :cute:

Oh no sorry to hear that, it is awful being somewhere you don't want to be. Are you planning on returning? Good luck to you in whatever you decide:hug:

cool quote' eat the ornage and spit out the pips' shuch a true saying geat out of oz what you can and try ignore the bad. we are hoping to move over end of this year to perth, we are from Lisburn. N.I. :biggrin:

chris

Yep we moved back to UK 3 years ago now. We had a good life here before we initially went to Geelong Victoria. That was the problem, Geelong was awful (for us) the education was shocking 2 years behind our kids. However after being back in UK and running my own Heating & Plumbing business " living a good life, in the grandest, greatest country" :) We are planning to return to Queensland later this year. Kids will be leaving a brilliant Grammar school here this is my only fear.

Personally I have decided not to like the term " are you settled" to me it communicates that I must live out my life in one place forever amen !! I have NO regrets coming back to UK we love it. and I hope I have no regrets giving Queensland a try, for us it about enjoying the fantastic things Australia does have to offer and ignoring the rest. eat the orange and spit the pips .

Sorry to hear this. Hope it works out for you. How long did you live in OZ for? Just curious.

Best of luck

sunni

Hi Sunni we were there a year , had jobs , rental place, my wife didn't like the idea of kids not starting school till ages 5/6 we knew this before we went but thought give it a try , and it was a bit quiet where we were, so moving on was my thinking but my wife missed uk too much so came back , although I believe we will go back in a year or two when kids are a little older and hopefully my wife will be up for it again all the best to all who come back or stay

We moved back from Canberra in July 2010. Already thinking of moving back to Oz.

The economic climate here is grim, we had quite forgotten how long and miserable the winters are and the friends we thought we couldn't live without, well the majority all bar a few decent solid friends have actually lived without us quite well. We are back to the daily grind of working hard and the highlight of our weekend is food shopping (that is just as expensive as Oz) and Ant & Dec on a Saturday night.

We are in good jobs but with all the cuts are constantly dreading the axe falling on our positions.

My mother in law is our only sticking point. She was obvioulsy delighted that we came home but we can not shake Australia out of our systems and really miss the lifestyle and possibilities that we had there.

We were simply on a downward spiral of homesickness and could not see the fabulous life we had in Oz.

We will miss her dreadfully and our son will be devastated to leave her. We need to find a way to take her with us !

thats exactly how we feel after moving back last April!

Guest mozziebite
Hi Boomerang family............ you are not on your own, your story reflects alot of returnees stories, who are made alot of when they return for a visit which increases the feeling of loss when they are back in Australia and when they decide to return to the uk, the same people have little to do with them. Its normal............ unless you are in a family who lives in each others pockets, the chances are when you return, the very people you are missing, won't be really in your lives anyway.

Spot on with this one, it really hit a nerve with me, I think when you are away people kind of get used to you gone and your decision to move...they may be a bit curious when you return and there may be a bit of a buzz for a month or two but don't expect your life to change socially! you will end up with the same true friends as before and you see the same family as before, no more no less. Still, glad we returned for the kids sake, they are much happier now. I felt at the time there was 'something missing' when we were there, don't know if it was, maybe just the sense of 'belonging', hard to explain, cos I personally found nothing wrong with Oz and still refuse to slate the country or those who live in it and would still tell people to go and try for themselves...I wish I had connected more with the place sometimes. Stopping now as I am getting a bit deep and meaningful and starting to ramble off topic

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest PingPongPerth

hi - myself and my husband moved out to perth 'for a year'...not unhappy with our lot in the uk, but both from south of england & had been up in the northwest for 11 years (!!) for uni & work etc...so wanted a change of scene, an adventure, experience living in another country etc, before 'settling' down south and bringing up our planned family. BUT i got pregnant whilst out in oz - desperate to go home for family support - went back for holiday & returned to oz and realised how lovely our lifestyle was here so persuaded hubby to stay and parents came out for borth..then hit depths of depression (sleep deprivation, isolation from family & work & world!) and desperate to go home again...6 weeks there took ages for me to feel comfortable there again...but did make me realise just how varied and billiant places uk has to offer - but sun rarely out & VERY crowded...back to oz - felt 'at home' but v disconnected from world & said that no amily here to see babe grow up & for support. me & husband now totally torn - our life here is v simple & nice on a day-to-dau basis but we cant see there is enough here to sustain us forever...but think pay & fact that our families are willing to come out for long stretches is luring us to stay...but if not ready 2 go now...when will we.

have always wanted to live in oz (tick) & assumed always would want to move back down south coast of uk...heeellllpp!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

Nope, no regrets - well, maybe one. What is it with UK hairdressers? Do they only have the one Pob style? I went for a trim and ended up with a Pob and it looks ghastly (it looked OK when the hairdresser did it but no way would it look the same for me). To add to my woes the weather makes my hair go curly so I look very much like a demented woman who has been dragged backwards through a hedge on a windy day. I may be totally stupid but I am giving the girl a chance to redeem herself and if I ask for an urchin cut that she will come up with something vaguely resembling an urchin and not just a very short Posh Beckham with twiddly bits down the side (think Judi Dench as my model). I think I might have to go back to Aus regularly just for a haircut!

Otherwise, no regrets at all. The weather has been beautiful this past couple of months, up to the day Mr Q arrived of course, and he doesnt believe me when I tell him that this time 2 weeks ago I was having lunch outside in a t shirt (and no flies!!!).

There is just so much to do/see/visit and all within a short space. Mr Q is happy, he has a big garden to whip into shape and he has joined a gym and made connections with people there (one of whom even recognized him from his very obscure website - small world!). He even managed to borrow a crow bar so all is right with his world.

We are in the fortunate position of not needing to work although I have seen quite a few signs out for casual work and I would hope to get something if I ever needed to. Things here are so much cheaper so getting Australian money to spend in UK at the moment is very good - if the exchange rate goes down then we may struggle a bit.

The other thing which has blown me away is the NHS and its care of my parents - absolutely bloody fantastic! Not just the acute care which was amazing but the follow up care which has been comprehensive, timely, focussed on independence and run by people who show respect and concern for their clients.

Fabulous place to be! (Off to the opening of a new wool shop nearby this weekend so all is well with my world as well!)

Nope, no regrets - well, maybe one. What is it with UK hairdressers? Do they only have the one Pob style? I went for a trim and ended up with a Pob and it looks ghastly (it looked OK when the hairdresser did it but no way would it look the same for me). To add to my woes the weather makes my hair go curly so I look very much like a demented woman who has been dragged backwards through a hedge on a windy day. I may be totally stupid but I am giving the girl a chance to redeem herself and if I ask for an urchin cut that she will come up with something vaguely resembling an urchin and not just a very short Posh Beckham with twiddly bits down the side (think Judi Dench as my model). I think I might have to go back to Aus regularly just for a haircut!

Sounds like you went to a dodgy hairdresser. Don't judge by one experience and all that :cute: I've changed hairdresser twice in the last decade, both times due to moving out of the area. But each time I've looked round, gone in for free consults and checked out the haircuts going on while I was there. And then gone with the salon that I liked from those (and also asked a few people). Also I always always book with the most senior stylist to ensure I get someone with experience and how has been promoted to that position, hopefully for the right reasons. Never gone wrong for me. Sure I get the odd cut I am not massively keen on, but its not the hairdressers fault if I don't like the style on me once its cut in. The cut itself has always been good.

And if you've not already got a pair, invest in a pair of GHD straighteners. Nothing else comes close and they are deserving of the good feedback people give them.

Sounds like you went to a dodgy hairdresser. Don't judge by one experience and all that :cute: I've changed hairdresser twice in the last decade, both times due to moving out of the area. But each time I've looked round, gone in for free consults and checked out the haircuts going on while I was there. And then gone with the salon that I liked from those (and also asked a few people). Also I always always book with the most senior stylist to ensure I get someone with experience and how has been promoted to that position, hopefully for the right reasons. Never gone wrong for me. Sure I get the odd cut I am not massively keen on, but its not the hairdressers fault if I don't like the style on me once its cut in. The cut itself has always been good.

And if you've not already got a pair, invest in a pair of GHD straighteners. Nothing else comes close and they are deserving of the good feedback people give them.

Hmm, I did all that! And went to a place which was recommended by several folk on another local board, definitely not dodgy. But havent you noticed how the vast majority of UK women have the same haircut? Even my haircut-blind husband has commented on it. I will give the girl another chance though, she wasnt to know that my hair became demented in the climate (though she might have guessed what would happen)

I am a minimalist so the thought of blow drying (which I had been doing with the slightly longer hair, grown for the wedding!) is enough to drive me to drink - straighteners would be just another nail in the coffin - nah, back to wash and wear urchin for me! I dont care if it looks butch.

Hmm, I did all that! And went to a place which was recommended by several folk on another local board, definitely not dodgy. But havent you noticed how the vast majority of UK women have the same haircut? Even my haircut-blind husband has commented on it. I will give the girl another chance though, she wasnt to know that my hair became demented in the climate (though she might have guessed what would happen)

I am a minimalist so the thought of blow drying (which I had been doing with the slightly longer hair, grown for the wedding!) is enough to drive me to drink - straighteners would be just another nail in the coffin - nah, back to wash and wear urchin for me! I dont care if it looks butch.

Different climate so hair usually does get dodgy, especially in winter. I notice it with mine for sure. Hence I wear it longer and tie it up more in winter. Have to spend more time on it if I want to look decent. Summer is usually better.

As for the hairstyle, not really noticed. There are plenty of fashionable styles around. Many women these days do use straighteners as it does keep hair looking more sleek and less flyaway or frizzy. So yes, lots more women walking round with noticeably straighter hair than they did 10 years ago. But other than that, nope, I see plenty of difference.

Great to hear you (Quoll) are back in the land of living.

We too have been blown away by the level of care here for elderly parents - it would never happen in Oz and you certainly wouldn't meet so many interesting carers, from so many different countries. And how easy is it to see a doctor (free of course). Gone are the days of waiting two weeks and stumping up $70 for a third-rate service!

Aside from that, don't you just love that sense of 'belonging'? I get tingles up my spine sometimes, just looking at the countryside, breathing the air or being in London.

We too have been blown away by the level of care here for elderly parents - it would never happen in Oz and you certainly wouldn't meet so many interesting carers, from so many different countries. And how easy is it to see a doctor (free of course). Gone are the days of waiting two weeks and stumping up $70 for a third-rate service!

Aside from that, don't you just love that sense of 'belonging'? I get tingles up my spine sometimes, just looking at the countryside, breathing the air or being in London.

Couldnt have put it better myself, yes to all!!!

Now there is some good news. Is the level of care really so superior compared to Australia?

Do feel medical sevices in Australia have been steadily become more Americanised over the years with greater costs and debatable outcomes.

Always thought Oz not a great place to age in. I suppose the sunshine can be a help but little else.

Really wondering over the coming years if wouldn't be better suited to retiring in UK. So good to read some positive UK stories.

It's freezing cold and grey today, my neighbour just said hello and chatted about the weather (British past time as you know), the postman whistled at me (brilliant!), my windscreen is frozen because I didn't cover it over because the weatherman did not say there would be a frost, the birds are singing, there are bright yellow daffodils out, newborn lambs bleating and buds on trees. When I get into work, everyone will say 'good morning, how are you', someone will get me a cup of tea (I am the boss), my customers will all be pleased to see me, I will be able to control the heat, I can nip down the butchers to get a hot homemade soup, they will give me a bone for my dog, the shop owner next to me will talk forever, the girls in the hairdressers will tell me all their problems, the cafe next door will ask if I want my sandwich delivering, the girl in Tesco will ask how I am, I will do a million tasks today, get back home, my neighbour will have walked my dog and invited me over for a drink, I will have a hot shower, get into a warm bed, read a book and smile because

I LOVE BEING HOME! Can't speak for anyone else but I have absolutely no regrets.

Good to hear that it has worked out for you cricket. I remember your posts on another forum vividly when you lived on the Gold Coast or was it Surfers.

Some of the god zoners would upset themselves at times. Actually couldn't find your user name when trying to read an update on that site. Have they removed it?

I hope you continue to write about life in England as there are a lot of people out in Australia with thoughts on returning for one reason or another and it is always uplifting to read posts from posters as yourself or Quoll for example. Do keep them coming. Warts and all.

Now there is some good news. Is the level of care really so superior compared to Australia?

Do feel medical sevices in Australia have been steadily become more Americanised over the years with greater costs and debatable outcomes.

Always thought Oz not a great place to age in. I suppose the sunshine can be a help but little else.

Really wondering over the coming years if wouldn't be better suited to retiring in UK. So good to read some positive UK stories.

it honestly depends where you retire to in the U.K ......iam here currently ,and see the best and the worst .

Those with a decent life .....living in a decent area have a life comparable with anywhere .....those in the urban areas ,that can be different matter .

carried out a job for a couple in their 70s in lechlade on thames ? - nice place .

They had normal house etc ......

a nice area ......reasonably close to london .....close to motorways ....and generally very happy with their lot .

Its about inner contentment

i can honestly say , in general ,people in the UK,are great to deal with ,whether it be Stoke or Stratford

Archived