Any regrets on moving back to UK?

Creese

Hi

Just wanted to ask, does anyone have any regrets on moving from OZ back to the UK? How did the kids go on the move? Did they settle back ok?

Is the UK as bad as the doom and gloom you hear of on the news?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cricketbackinengland
I wonder who will be along any minute on this thread :rolleyes:

Cynic.:wink:

Guest cricketbackinengland
Hi

Just wanted to ask, does anyone have any regrets on moving from OZ back to the UK? How did the kids go on the move? Did they settle back ok?

It's freezing cold and grey today, my neighbour just said hello and chatted about the weather (British past time as you know), the postman whistled at me (brilliant!), my windscreen is frozen because I didn't cover it over because the weatherman did not say there would be a frost, the birds are singing, there are bright yellow daffodils out, newborn lambs bleating and buds on trees. When I get into work, everyone will say 'good morning, how are you', someone will get me a cup of tea (I am the boss), my customers will all be pleased to see me, I will be able to control the heat, I can nip down the butchers to get a hot homemade soup, they will give me a bone for my dog, the shop owner next to me will talk forever, the girls in the hairdressers will tell me all their problems, the cafe next door will ask if I want my sandwich delivering, the girl in Tesco will ask how I am, I will do a million tasks today, get back home, my neighbour will have walked my dog and invited me over for a drink, I will have a hot shower, get into a warm bed, read a book and smile because

I LOVE BEING HOME! Can't speak for anyone else but I have absolutely no regrets.

Guest chris955

Creese, I can't comment on what it is like being back but I can comment on what I saw recently on a trip 'home'. I saw nothing that makes me think we will regret our move later this year. It's not all rosey by any means but all our friends are working, they still go on holiday and eat well. They are happy and don't want to emigrate :biggrin:

My wife absolutely can't wait and even our 9 year old twins are really excited about it.

Guest mozziebite
They are happy and don't want to emigrate :biggrin:

Chris I think its wrong to assume that folks only emigrate if they are unhappy! (Sure I have picked you up wrong!?) I for one wasn't unhappy in the U.K. and looking for an answer in Australia. We saw it as a chance to experience another country, culture, way of life. Sorry to drift off from the original topic - from personal experience I would say the younger the child the easier it may be for them to settle. My kids were 10 and 12 and didn't particularly settle very well in Oz, they missed their 'old' lives, grandparents, schools, cousins, mates but they are all different and some older kids may be just fine and settle anywhere.

No regrets what so ever, happy content kids makes me happy and that is the most important thing!

The Strangest thing to happen since i have been back i have become a bit of a Delia in the kitchen, now that is scary lol x :wubclub:

Chris I think its wrong to assume that folks only emigrate if they are unhappy! (Sure I have picked you up wrong!?) I for one wasn't unhappy in the U.K. and looking for an answer in Australia. We saw it as a chance to experience another country, culture, way of life. Sorry to drift off from the original topic - from personal experience I would say the younger the child the easier it may be for them to settle. My kids were 10 and 12 and didn't particularly settle very well in Oz, they missed their 'old' lives, grandparents, schools, cousins, mates but they are all different and some older kids may be just fine and settle anywhere.

I agree MB- we didn't move because we were unhappy in the UK- we moved because we have no family here and all the family is is Oz. We found that the UK suits us best...family or no family (the family in Oz is great no problems and we didn't come back to the UK because we had a falling out or anything). I do think though that if more people in the UK did leave and go elsewhere for a while they would appreciate what a great country it is-warts and all.

Guest smarties

We moved back to the UK...and are returning to Oz at the end of this month. Been very emotional and expensive!!! Do we regret it??.....Not at all, as it has proved to us were we want to be.:yes:

Guest waitingtogotooz

How are your kids now? settled in well? We are waiting on the 175 visa and my son is already 11, the older he gets the more i worry he will have trouble settling in

Guest mozziebite

I'm sure he will be fine, don't worry, as I say kids are all different. They were okay for the first 6-7 months, then the youngest started being really unsettled, not sleeping, up half the night, just not his normal self. He was sporty, outgoing, funny, it was awful seeing him miserable. With the best will in the world i encouraged them to join scouts, soccer, they had sleepovers, went to pals - they just wanted to come home, simple as that. What do you do? It made me miserable seeing them unsettled and wanting to be somewhere else....so we came home, lifes too short - you have to balance it up, the eldest was 13 and a half when we came back and I wondered if we had hung on for another year whether I would muck his GCSE's up big style.

I would still encourage you to try it though, fantastic opportunity and it works out for most people, just some folk do end up come back home. Had some great English pals out there who loved it and thought we were mad - hopefully that will be you after you have been there a year. Good luck with it all, hope it all works out for you x

I'm sure he will be fine, don't worry, as I say kids are all different. They were okay for the first 6-7 months, then the youngest started being really unsettled, not sleeping, up half the night, just not his normal self. He was sporty, outgoing, funny, it was awful seeing him miserable. With the best will in the world i encouraged them to join scouts, soccer, they had sleepovers, went to pals - they just wanted to come home, simple as that. What do you do? It made me miserable seeing them unsettled and wanting to be somewhere else....so we came home, lifes too short - you have to balance it up, the eldest was 13 and a half when we came back and I wondered if we had hung on for another year whether I would muck his GCSE's up big style.

I would still encourage you to try it though, fantastic opportunity and it works out for most people, just some folk do end up come back home. Had some great English pals out there who loved it and thought we were mad - hopefully that will be you after you have been there a year. Good luck with it all, hope it all works out for you x

Great post. It's a pity a few more posters that have returned or are returning can't be as honest and encouraging.

Guest cath donn

I feel so reieved to have read your post, I shipped our family and dog home last Aug, and regreted it before the plane touched down in london.So expensive your not wrong. We went and bought a house and slowly decorating. But we dont want to be here. Wish we were in Oz. Just watched relocation with Phil he was in Perth. It was beautiful. I know where we should be as a family, just needto figure out how to get back. I wish you all the very best. Good luck

Guest chris955

Yes you did take that the wrong way, they are happy and totally separately they don't want to emigrate.

Chris I think its wrong to assume that folks only emigrate if they are unhappy! (Sure I have picked you up wrong!?)

Guest peacock
I feel so reieved to have read your post, I shipped our family and dog home last Aug, and regreted it before the plane touched down in london.So expensive your not wrong. We went and bought a house and slowly decorating. But we dont want to be here. Wish we were in Oz. Just watched relocation with Phil he was in Perth. It was beautiful. I know where we should be as a family, just needto figure out how to get back. I wish you all the very best. Good luck

I have heard this or similar stories so many times, best of luck in getting back to Australia

I miss lots of things from AU but coming home was the best decision. As soon as we arrived home I felt so much better. AU just wasn't for me. Took me a while to settle again in the UK, I compared a lot to how things were in AU to what I'd come home to, but for me the UK won my heart and I was so much more at ease here.

What would I have done differently? I would have ensured I had my AU permanent visa before I left, but my children have dual citizenship so there is always that option if in my old age I decide to move back. Not an option I am really thinking about but you never know what the future holds.

Guest chris955

The thing is that some, admittedly only a small number, assume that because you are going home you must really dislike Australia and in almost all cases I know of it is far from the case. There will be many things we miss when we leave at the end of the year but overall there is more for us in England.

I guess the only regret I have is that Aus didn't give us what we hoped it would. I would have loved it to have worked out. I do miss the sunshine and the simplicity of life, but equally I don't miss the heat and the bland empty feelings I had there. Here you certainly know you're alive and are connected to the world. The UK is such a mixture of some dreadful stuff and some beautiful stuff and I struggle with that sometimes. Coming back we have all the things we wanted - work is better, education is better, cost of living is better, opportunities are better, conversation and humour is better, TV and music is better, history and intelligent debate is better (all by my own opinion and standards of course) - but it's cold and some parts of UK are grotty beyond belief. Wish I could stitch the two lives together.

I don't miss the heat and the bland empty feelings I had there. Here you certainly know you're alive and are connected to the world. .

I can totally relate to that Mrs I. I have had 12 years of feeling so disconnected, I went home to Scotland for a holiday, INSTANTLY felt at home, alive and real again. Cannot wait to fly home for good in less than 3 weeks.

Also, I have realised how much I feel that energy just saps right out of me in this heat! I am definately not as active as I used to be .... inside and outside the home. Australia does have beautiful beaches but we are obviously Made In Scotland so couldn't really stay too long out in the daytime sun. :smile:

Life was simpler in Australia, and for us (both involved in the Mining industry), the salaries and opportunities here in the UK simply do not compare. For that reason we're thinking of going back to Oz. If we worked there we could probably easily afford both our mortgage here and one in Oz.

We didn't leave Australia because we didn't like it, we left because my OH had a Phd opportunity in Canada which didn't work out. So in a way Australia feels like unfinished business for us! I remember leaving Kalgoorlie on the flight, and thinking that I knew I would be back one day. We'll see if that does happen soon or not.

In the UK I feel as though my wage is being attacked at every turn, and I am on a good wage here! But I still know I can earn at least twice as much in Australia....

Hi

Yes , i have had regrets ,and still do ......especially after the winter we have just had .

It seems the sun hasnt shone for about 6 months:biglaugh::biglaugh:.

I miss the optimism .....and lack of traffic where i used to live .

That aside i have a great life here now .....business is booming ( honestly)...pub 300 yds away .....shopping centre half a mile .....town centre 1 mile .....gyms ...golf courses ...rail network on my doorstep

people have either got stacks of work or none .....very little in between

As i have said many times i see the best and worst .

Being my own boss ,i can miss the motorways if i want , and i have seen some great places in the UK ......And when the sun shines in Britain,there is no place like it ....it just doesnt shine enough:biglaugh:

Could i live in oz ......absolutely

is it a great place to live for young kids .....yes

I dont rule oz out ...........there is still so much to see here though.

It wouldnt be any of the Oz cities though .......not for me

Guest sparkylad

Yep we moved back to UK 3 years ago now. We had a good life here before we initially went to Geelong Victoria. That was the problem, Geelong was awful (for us) the education was shocking 2 years behind our kids. However after being back in UK and running my own Heating & Plumbing business " living a good life, in the grandest, greatest country" :) We are planning to return to Queensland later this year. Kids will be leaving a brilliant Grammar school here this is my only fear.

Personally I have decided not to like the term " are you settled" to me it communicates that I must live out my life in one place forever amen !! I have NO regrets coming back to UK we love it. and I hope I have no regrets giving Queensland a try, for us it about enjoying the fantastic things Australia does have to offer and ignoring the rest. eat the orange and spit the pips .

I think you've hit the nail on the head. For many people a move around the world is often viewed as a very permanent thing (and I appreciate that for many, they may only get one shot due to financial reasons etc). But there's nothing wrong with enjoying life in several different countries and you may move to a country and know that you won't be spending the rest of your life there. But that shouldn't stop you from endeavouring to enjoy every last minute in that country that you can. It seems that many people dwell on the negative aspects of their current country when planning a move, whereas you should look to the positives you're hoping to find in your new life and using those as a catalyst to actually achieve them.

Everyone needs a dream...

Archived