Bridging visa chaos - please help

Guest mic

Hello everyone

I'm at the moment in Australia on a ETA visa and just about to lodge an onshore partner visa application.My ETA visa expires in April so I understand that I will automatically go on a Bridging visa A (under the same conditions-so no work permission).

As the average processing times for partner visas are so long at the moment I would like to apply for a work permission.

Does anybody know more about this process?Is the only way to apply for work permission based on financial hardship?What is the definition of financial hardship in this situation?And could it have a negative impact on the visa application?

(I've heard your sponsor needs to have an income of around 30 000/year to be eligible as a sponsor.If you don't have any savings and high spendings (rent,bills I guess) you could be facing 'financial hardship' and can apply for work permission)

Also my best friend is getting married in July in Germany and of cause I would like to go!As I can't travel on the Bridging visa A and I'm not putting my hopes up to high that I will already have my partner visa by that time, I need to apply for a Bridging visa B to be allowed to leave Australia for up to 3 months.

To get the BVB you need to give 'substantial reason why you need to leave the country'.Would the wedding be reason enough (I have the invitation- obviously in German though- and I guess she could write a statement confirming that I'm bridesmaid as well!)

Do you think that could work?

Oh and on top of that,if my work permission gets granted would it automatically be transferred to the BVB and still be valid when I return to Australia end of July?

And does anybody know how much this will cost again?I guess there is a fee again for the application for the work permission and the BVB?

Any help and info is much appreciated!

Cheers

Hello,

I can only answer your question partially. I don't think you will have any issue with obtaining the BVB as I recall reading sometime ago another person needed a BVB to attend a wedding as well. So if you explain why and maybe show the invitation, it should be ok. The BVB costs $95 at the moment and I heard it is granted on the spot. After the BVB expires, you go back to your old BVA.

Hope that helps.

Playing devils advocate here, but if you can afford to fly home for a wedding, then are you really in financial hardship?

Do you qualify for a working holiday visa? if so, you could pop over to NZ and apply for the WHV, which would give you some work rights along with being able to travel in and out of australia for a year. Then either apply offshore from NZ for the spouse visa (which should be processed within the timeframe of the WHV expiring) or come back onshore and apply (slower, but at least you'd get a bridging visa if there were any unforseen delays).

Thanks for the answers!!

@RockDr:That's why I'm asking what the definition of financial hardship is and if there are other reasons to apply for work permission...

Unfortunately I have used up both of my WHV so not an option for me,but at least those 2 years travelling taught me how to survive on very little money ;)

You can actually live of very little money if you have to...!But a second income would help immensely!

I'm asking because I was reading about people getting the permission granted having a lot more money available then my partner and me...

To define 'financial hardship' is pretty tricky,apparently you have to show your (or your partner/sponsors) income and proof your spending and it depends on what is left after that.So even someone with a moderate income could be facing 'financial hardship' if they have high spendings.

And this is where I think it gets pretty tricky,because what are appropriate high spendings.Paying 500 rent a week or do house sharing and paying half?Paying 300/week for groceries or half?Going out once a week or every 4 weeks? What's an appropriate 'life style'...?You see where I'm going with this...

(And little ps: My friends have been starting a little charity for me back in Germany to pay a plane ticket to be able to come to the wedding...and I can work in Germany...)

Archived