lst Day of Autumn in Australia today, what are your plans for winter!

Guest siamsusie

Guest siamsusie

Following Jackboots post of "Heat v Cold" today is our lst day of Autumn here in Australia.

What plans have you guys got leading up to winter?

Does your state have a variation of seasons?

Northern WA we never experienced Autumn, winter used to last for as long as 6 weeks:biggrin:, it cooled down to a lovely 22 in the evenings.

Tasmania has the four seasons, the wonderful autumn colours, the snow appearing on the mountains, the log fires . Christmas in July

It would be lovely to hear from folk maybe showing their pictures of how their state differs at certain times of the year.

Guest Guest31881

Hi Susie

Yes we have changes in seasons, From temperature up to 40c during the summer down to 5c during the winter with occasional frosts. I like spring here (not spent autumn here yet). We are 4 hours drive from Brisbane and the difference in weather is amazing, hardly any humid days but plenty of Dry hot days.

Although we get low temperatures here in winter the days are glorious 20c perfect for the beach.

Love winter life in Queensland. Gods country. Then come September have to go back to Cornwall for a short visit, then back for the Queensland Spring.

It seems Susie that because of the cooler and wettest (for 17 years) summer we have just had, the first autumn leaves have just appeared on the fence creeper this morning, and I thought that was early. For the first time in years the garden is looking all green instead of burnt to a cinder (I lost lots of garden plants during the fire season when the Black Saturday fires happened). The wind is cool today and it is overcast, it was lovely last Saturday, was sunning myself at the cafe at Mount Martha looking out over the lovely beach and it was packed, but today the change of season is upon us. Melbourne is lovely in the autumn, especially in the parks and gardens - the Royal Botanic Gardens - as all the autumn leaves fall on the ground and it's nice to walk through them. I don't mind the winter, rug up, better than the humidity and wet up north for me.

I have been looking forwards to the autumn, it has been far more humid I think than last year, so I am looking forwards to some cooler days. Not looking forwards to the winter so much, it is very cold in the house. However, we manage with extra clothes, the woodburner going during the day and hot water bottles at night.

Got lots to do in the garden this autumn. It has kind of gone rampant! Want to sort it out, so that come spring I can just maintain it.

Other plans for this autumn/winter, I have got weight to lose. Been going to the gym every morning (there for 6am :eek: most mornings!). Enjoying it, but I have a little injury to my knee, which I am hoping will feel better soon. Also want to try and build my little online business up a bit. Got lots of new jewellery that I have been making, and I am also going on a course in April to learn how to electroform and etch. If I can do those things, I should be able to increase what I can make.

Good times (except the knee - Ouchy!).

i will probs top up my tan during the warm days............patrol the grounds and re design the landscape gardens.............also concentrate on my water colour painting now the twins are getting more relaxed............im looking forward to some nice weather ahead of us.........:wink:

Gets rather chilly here in the winter, had lots of hard frosts and it seems to attract fog here in the valleys. I'm mainly going to be working hard, saving hard and getting in trim (i've really let the old gut go over the last few months!!)

First up, I'm thinking someone forgot to let mother nature know that it's autumn here in WA.... hottest summer in 33 years and this is the year I decide to arrive here lol!!! Have been melting so am looking forward to it cooling down a bit over the next few weeks.

I am just starting to feel settled and establish a bit of a routine with the kids etc, not used to not working, so actually hard to adjust to. Have got myself involved with the P&C and volunteering at the kids school, so will carry that on and as it cools down I am going to try do more walking and maybe go to the gym at my local pool.... atm swimming every other day is the extent of my exercise regime :biglaugh:

Guest siamsusie
Hi Susie

Yes we have changes in seasons, From temperature up to 40c during the summer down to 5c during the winter with occasional frosts. I like spring here (not spent autumn here yet). We are 4 hours drive from Brisbane and the difference in weather is amazing, hardly any humid days but plenty of Dry hot days.

I have been looking at your beautiful pictures Colin, it looks amazing! Its amazing how quickly the agriculture and climate changes in a relatively short distance. It is lovely to have the change of seasons thats for sure.

:wubclub:Susie x

Guest siamsusie
Although we get low temperatures here in winter the days are glorious 20c perfect for the beach.

Love winter life in Queensland. Gods country. Then come September have to go back to Cornwall for a short visit, then back for the Queensland Spring.

I think your temperature in winter Kernow must be just perfect!

rje0601l.jpg

When we are grey nomads, we might well live in Queensland as well.

September in Cornwall sounds wonderful just before the UK winter... have a great time.

:wubclub:Susie

Guest siamsusie
It seems Susie that because of the cooler and wettest (for 17 years) summer we have just had, the first autumn leaves have just appeared on the fence creeper this morning, and I thought that was early. For the first time in years the garden is looking all green instead of burnt to a cinder (I lost lots of garden plants during the fire season when the Black Saturday fires happened). The wind is cool today and it is overcast, it was lovely last Saturday, was sunning myself at the cafe at Mount Martha looking out over the lovely beach and it was packed, but today the change of season is upon us. Melbourne is lovely in the autumn, especially in the parks and gardens - the Royal Botanic Gardens - as all the autumn leaves fall on the ground and it's nice to walk through them. I don't mind the winter, rug up, better than the humidity and wet up north for me.

Ollie, I also love Autumn, the fields looks greener, the colour of the leaves just look beautiful.

The RBG sounds great, yes I love rugging up net to the fire. Mr Siam has been busy this year buying loads of DVD's for the winter months and then we have the skiing which we both love.

How terrible the Black Saturday fires were Olly, but its amazing how nature kicks back into shape again isnt it.

I have just planted all my Pacific Blues going down my drive together with New Zealand flaxs so I hope they survive and do well.

Enjoy Autumn Olly

Guest siamsusie
I have been looking forwards to the autumn, it has been far more humid I think than last year, so I am looking forwards to some cooler days. Not looking forwards to the winter so much, it is very cold in the house. However, we manage with extra clothes, the woodburner going during the day and hot water bottles at night.

Got lots to do in the garden this autumn. It has kind of gone rampant! Want to sort it out, so that come spring I can just maintain it.

Other plans for this autumn/winter, I have got weight to lose. Been going to the gym every morning (there for 6am :eek: most mornings!). Enjoying it, but I have a little injury to my knee, which I am hoping will feel better soon. Also want to try and build my little online business up a bit. Got lots of new jewellery that I have been making, and I am also going on a course in April to learn how to electroform and etch. If I can do those things, I should be able to increase what I can make.

Good times (except the knee - Ouchy!).

Another gardener!:biggrin: loads of low maintenace and mulch, native plants not requiring too much watering and sitting back and reaping the benefits.

Good luck with the weight loss and good for you going to the gym its a discipline isnt it.

I do pop in from time to time to your web site, you are a clever person, I will definately be a customer one of these days.

Hope your husband's business is doing well also, I went to Specsavers in Launceston the other day, lovely people and very good value, considering Medibank paid for 2 prs for me:jiggy:

Guest siamsusie
Gets rather chilly here in the winter, had lots of hard frosts and it seems to attract fog here in the valleys. I'm mainly going to be working hard, saving hard and getting in trim (i've really let the old gut go over the last few months!!)

Ah Paul!:wink: its amazing how cold it can get, even going bush in WA, I had my beanie and thermals on which surprised me.

I think old Jaybone & Co can give you some great tips on snugglies in a camper van:biggrin: and working off your gut together with a good woman, your lithe self will be evident again.

A camper van is definately the way to go in this vast country, you will reap the benefits 40 fold.

Hopefully much the same as we do in the summer. Just have to wear a rashie for the morning paddle. Looking forward to doing a bit more bike riding and running. It's been a bit hot for that lately.

The sea has been a great temperature for a few months now. Warmer than usual for Perth I think. We try and keep the swimming in the ocean up too but it's a bit harder to get motivated.

Guest siamsusie
i will probs top up my tan during the warm days............patrol the grounds and re design the landscape gardens.............also concentrate on my water colour painting now the twins are getting more relaxed............im looking forward to some nice weather ahead of us.........:wink:

Nick, winter in Perth is wonderful, just how I love it!

:laugh:@ patrolling the grounds, some sort of ranger eh:biggrin:.

When you get a chance it would be wonderful to see some of your water prints, Janine (Party Queen) is also an artist , I think its so wonderful to be talented.

Those bambinos are certainly growing up, hey they will look after you in your dotage!

Guest siamsusie
First up, I'm thinking someone forgot to let mother nature know that it's autumn here in WA.... hottest summer in 33 years and this is the year I decide to arrive here lol!!! Have been melting so am looking forward to it cooling down a bit over the next few weeks.

I am just starting to feel settled and establish a bit of a routine with the kids etc, not used to not working, so actually hard to adjust to. Have got myself involved with the P&C and volunteering at the kids school, so will carry that on and as it cools down I am going to try do more walking and maybe go to the gym at my local pool.... atm swimming every other day is the extent of my exercise regime :biglaugh:

Welcome to Australia Charmed P3... you certainly came to a hot one.

I think Perth has a lovely winter climate, many migrants find winters cold after the first year, so strange how we acclimatise!

Pleased you are getting stuck in everyday life.

Guest siamsusie
Hopefully much the same as we do in the summer. Just have to wear a rashie for the morning paddle. Looking forward to doing a bit more bike riding and running. It's been a bit hot for that lately.

The sea has been a great temperature for a few months now. Warmer than usual for Perth I think. We try and keep the swimming in the ocean up too but it's a bit harder to get motivated.

Hi Paul, as I said to CharmedP3 , Perth has certainly been a warm one this year, but of course it settles down again.

We always looked enviously at the cooler temperatures down in Perth when we were living in Karratha, it was a tad too warm for me there, but, as with everything thing you get used to doing things at strange hours.

Hanging the washing out at midnight was par for the course:laugh: and walking at 10pm when the flies went to bed.

No you certainly have the good climate for winters there thats for sure.. and well the fishing is next to none over there, that is something I do miss .. the mangove jacks.

Enjoy your exercise

Hi Susie,

Having only been here a month, I am looking forward to seeing how the seasons change. Melbourne is so green at the moment - greener than England I think!

I too am dying to get cracking in the garden. I am working 3 days a week for the next couple of months (have a lovely man who is keeping me so I can ease into life here) and with the extra time I want to attempt to tame the huge garden (not that huge really, just far bigger than anything I am used to). So the plan is to buy in lots of bulbs and come my first payday I will be off to Bunnings for supplies and will get stuck in. Will need my 'P' plates as am a learner gardner but can't wait for all that color in the garden come Spring.

Also dying to get out into Victoria to see as much as I can. We're currently planning a few days away in the Dandenong Mountains in about 6 weeks or so and can't wait for that :yes:.

Guest siamsusie
Hi Susie,

Having only been here a month, I am looking forward to seeing how the seasons change. Melbourne is so green at the moment - greener than England I think!

I too am dying to get cracking in the garden. I am working 3 days a week for the next couple of months (have a lovely man who is keeping me so I can ease into life here) and with the extra time I want to attempt to tame the huge garden (not that huge really, just far bigger than anything I am used to). So the plan is to buy in lots of bulbs and come my first payday I will be off to Bunnings for supplies and will get stuck in. Will need my 'P' plates as am a learner gardner but can't wait for all that color in the garden come Spring.

Also dying to get out into Victoria to see as much as I can. We're currently planning a few days away in the Dandenong Mountains in about 6 weeks or so and can't wait for that :yes:.

Kat:hug: welcome to Australia.!

Having come from the green fields of Scotland where I thought everything was greener and better:laugh: I know what you mean about green... here in Tasmania also the green is just lush... I stopped off today and just looked at some horses galloping in the fields

and it reminded me so much of Europe in many ways.

I hope you enjoy your garden, I am sure Olly could give you loads of tips as well...

Bunnings .... look after your purse:laugh: its so easy to go overboard there, so many gorgeous plants and their selections of native plants (less water) are incredible.

So pleased your gorgeous man is taking care of you Kat and good luck in your job.

The mountains sound amazing:biggrin: I just know you are going to be happy here!

Hope you are tasting the lovely varieties of wine as well:jiggy:.

:wubclub:love Susie x

Thanks Sooz :hug:

I can't wait to get over to Tassie also. Was looking at the ferry yesterday. Am very tempted to take a week off in the spring and expolre. It looks so beautiful!

Yes - I think I could easily get carried away in Bunnings. You aren't the first person to warn me, lol. I have been buying the 'Better Homes and Gardens' magazine and there are some great offers on bulbs in the March edition so may send off for some. Its actually quite disturbing how excited I am about attempting to create a haven in our back yard! Sign of age me thinks, lol.

Thanks re: job. Start tomorrow. Eeek!

Oh, and the wine (and beer!). I am LOVNG it Susie. I love it here so much!!! :jiggy:

xxx

Guest guest30038

Does your state have a variation of seasons?

Yes. 1st day of autumn and the temp rose from 33 to 34 :rolleyes: :biglaugh:

kev

Guest siamsusie
Yes. 1st day of autumn and the temp rose from 33 to 34 :rolleyes: :biglaugh:

kev

:laugh::laugh::laugh: what can i say apart from get em off!:twitcy:

Guest siamsusie
:goofy:Here in the Top End we only have 2 seasons.....wet and dry:tongue:

It's been the wettest wet season on record so bring on the dry,another 8 weeks to go.

Reminds me of those shavers "wet and dry" Janine.

Your dry season looks lovely, goodness you will be giggling when everyone is moaning about the cold weather:laugh:.

It really is a lovely neck of the woods you are Janine, I know you are busy right now, but when you get a spare few hours a photo shoot of Darwin would also be great to have.

:hug:Susie x

Archived