House prices, jobs, the economy, UK

Guest cricketbackinengland

think I'll step back from this one now, people have their own opinions and rightly so

for me and many i know oz is not better or worse just different, good luck to those who going to oz, and to those who are coming back or back to uk,

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here is the base you are growing from :: Worst collapse in UK manufacturing in four decades - Telegraph

Hardly surprising it is growing after the worst collapse in 40 years eh?

But the point is, it's growing NOW and it's kickstarting the UK economy. I'm not going to argue with you Peach. You seem to jump on anything I post on this MBTTUK forum always with a negative response. I can only assume you're very unhappy and can't wait to get to Oz in which case I can only wish you luck.

An interesting stat for you is in 2010 there was a decline in failed businesses YAY..However it was a very bad year for NEW businesses who employed? But it was a good year for sole owner business..EH...of course it was ...very few were employing?

Fresh thinking!!

Looking forward, 2011 will be a difficult year for businesses across the UK and unfortunately the growing fear of a ‘double dip’ recession now has to be taken very seriously. There are a lot of businesses on a knife edge and with pressure mounting on the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee to increase interest rates, even a 0.5% rise could result in an increase in business failures.

Sectors that rely on discretionary spend, such as Hospitality & Tourism and Retail, will continue to struggle following the rise in VAT and increasing inflation. Some banks are compounding the situation further as they are becoming increasingly impatient with failing businesses. Many turnaround plans set out over a year ago are taking longer than expected for any improvements to be seen. Therefore, some lenders are now willing to cut their losses and accept the bad debt instead of continuing to drip feed businesses that show no progress

Not all gloom then?

An interesting stat for you is in 2010 there was a decline in failed businesses YAY..However it was a very bad year for NEW businesses who employed? But it was a good year for sole owner business..EH...of course it was ...very few were employing?

Fresh thinking!!

Looking forward, 2011 will be a difficult year for businesses across the UK and unfortunately the growing fear of a ‘double dip’ recession now has to be taken very seriously. There are a lot of businesses on a knife edge and with pressure mounting on the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee to increase interest rates, even a 0.5% rise could result in an increase in business failures.

Sectors that rely on discretionary spend, such as Hospitality & Tourism and Retail, will continue to struggle following the rise in VAT and increasing inflation. Some banks are compounding the situation further as they are becoming increasingly impatient with failing businesses. Many turnaround plans set out over a year ago are taking longer than expected for any improvements to be seen. Therefore, some lenders are now willing to cut their losses and accept the bad debt instead of continuing to drip feed businesses that show no progress

Not all gloom then?

No. Not at all. We all know it's going to be a tricky year but what's the point of being so negative that you can't even hope to see any light? How does it fix things? You're about to hop on a plane back to Queensland. Have you seen your own back yard lately?

Did Anna Bligh give up? Did Queenslanders give up? The economy there is pitiful because of the floods but has anyone given up? No. Well, neither have I.

You're an Australian on the MBTTUK forum telling leaving us a parting message about gloom?

Good luck back in Oz.:biggrin:

Afternoon all,

been reading some of the posts on here and i think people can really only comment from their own personal experiences, after all if the individual is doing ok and those around him/her are doing ok then of course they will have a more positive attitude.

From my perspective in the building trade in Bucks its very quiet, a lot of the guys i know are quiet as are the local builders merchants. Enquiries are also down and people seem to want work done for nothing. I dont think it will get much better this year and the vat rise has not helped, also with the cost of living on the rise constantly then things could get worse, that may seem like a negative attitude and it probably is, but i have been in the trade for many years and have never known it so bad.

As I think I've posted enough encouraging links on this thread, I'm now unsubscribing before it descends any further as usual.

Is it difficult breathing in your little bubble? Yes I'm about to 'hop on a plane'...I understand you've just decided to 'hop on a plane' home! And yep I've been one of those who for the past ten years have been paying UK tax to make sure you still have a country to 'hop' back to!

And thanks very much for your thoughts of my backyard!! It's very rosy there, and looking forward to going ..But I'll miss the UK except for the gloaters. I hope things work out well for you back in England..many won't have a good life, but then you can always pull the curtains on your little boat, have a nice cup of tea, and sew..

Rach...

I can see why you just didn't fit in with Australia, Attitude, too much!

Hi Cricketbackengland...England being spelt in lower case...curious?

Thanks for the PM

I don't understand your comment.. Of..Checking out the state of my back yard before I criticise the UK...I didn't criticise the UK, I think if you look at some of the responses not everyone agrees with your picture of the UK economy?..I can understand that folk tend to touch tory top nerves at times..but It's just my opinion that's all...You left your country things didn't work out that's fine, but others including me have been paying high prices for too long, so we're entitled to say something..My partners a POM and worries about family and friends and we express that...Think maybe your just a little touchy..sorry..very touchy. Does your OH buy you cacti on valentines?..just wondering.

I too will move on from this forum.

The banking and mining industry in Australia is booming not the little person in the street. And that's all China is interested in.

As far as the NHS goes, what national service or government can afford to treat the growing number of obesity, excess alcohol, smoking and drug related problems? It's this that's killing off the NHS because there isn't enough money to cure it. It isn't fair on those people who look after their health and then get sick or the chronically ill.

Mortgages - I don't really get this. If rates have been historically low at around 0%, how can you not afford to pay your mortgage. Other bills might have increased slightly but I can't see any huge changes or wild price increases.

Crime - nothing happens here that doesn't happen in Australia because the social ills and problems are the same.

Australia - a person who does it tough is referred to as the true blue Aussie battler. They are championed and upheld for their skills in surviving some of the worst setbacks and poverty you are ever likely to see. The only difference is in the UK the media highlights it very differently pointing out how wrong it is that people are living without the basic of means. In Australia, coping this way you get saluted and told she'll be roight mate'.

Don't bet on not seeing as much poverty, despair and homesless kids, never mind adults, in Oz. It's just being miserable and without in the sun is a better disguise and probably a bit easier to tolerate.

Watch how many poor homeless families migrate from Melbourne to the Gold Coast in winter over there in live near rivers in their cars. Seen it all.

The schools in Oz cost a fortune too. Everything has to be paid for, books pens rulers etc, and the uniforms are outrageous! We didn't pay any less tax....and they didn't learn any more (oh except more sport...much more-ever wonder why they are so short of skilled workers but are brilliant at sport just look at the schools..it drove me mad!)

ever wonder why they are so short of skilled workers

Ummm I always though it was something to do with the massive expanding economy and it being cheaper to import skilled workers than train them? Thank you for correcting my thinking, now I know it is all about their sporting prowess. Lol Lol Lol....

Guest chris955

Yes good news indeed, people forget that the UK is still the 6th largest manufacturing nation in the world and is highly prized as a base by foreign companies also.

Going back to the original topic of this thread, here's an upto date link on British manufacturing growth for anyone thinking about moving back to the UK but worried about the economy. It's cautious but carefully optimistic.

Manufacturing maintains strong growth

highly prized as a base by foreign companies also.

Except the growing number who are leaving for tax reasons:

Ineos Runcorn UK, WPP, Shire, Informat, PepsiCo, Aberdeen Asset Management, Hendersons Ireland, Charter, Regus, Brit Insurance, Wolsely, McDonalds (European HQ), UBM, Kraft Foods, Gallaher, Experian, Catlin, Hiscox and Shell.

http://www.taxjournal.com/tj/articles/companies-leaving-uk0912

And:

Mayor Boris Johnson urges HSBC to rethink London exit - Telegraph

oh and Boots the chemist:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article4092281.ece

Yes good news indeed, people forget that the UK is still the 6th largest manufacturing nation in the world and is highly prized as a base by foreign companies also.

Good to see that you are still plugging our manufacturing as the 6th largest Chris again:biglaugh:.

We had this discussion not more than 5 months ago if i remember.....:biglaugh:

True words, but our manufacturing will not get us out of the mire alone and any persons on here who think that the recession is over,has not affected them must be living in cuckoo land....

I heard on Radio 2 today of diesel hitting £2.00 by Xmas..

Kiss goodbye to youre manufacturing...

I live in West Sussex and most of the industrial units that i know becoming redundant by the week.....

I am not painting doom and gloom, as thats mainly what it is unless you work for a nice safe comfy firm, but i live on the south coast and although house prices have not dropped that much, jobs are going everyday somewhere from safe office workers to binmen, to doctors....

The UK is in trouble, but on the flip side if you are coming back with good funds and use youre money carefully witrh the very tiny interest rates at the mo you can get a cracking property... but down here in Sussex they have not dropped hardly and people and not taking silly offers...:daydreaming:

Cheers Nick the Plumber( SELF EMPLOYED) SEEING WORK HALVED IN 2 YEARS...

Guest siamsusie
And the price of books generally....is quite frankly nothing short of a disgrace, never mind though, the sun shines quite a lot.

Connie, books in Holland have always been expensive in comparison to the UK... why? because of small print runs due to the population.

The same applies to Australia... I obtain all my books from Book Depository or Fishpond postage & freight free therefore I am not paying over the odds.

Yes I too do miss walking through the massive bookshops of London and obtaining some wonderful bargains, but there are massive compensations for me in other areas.

Susie

dear oh dear, this oz v uk debate is a no win no brainer.

this sort of debate is what killed poms in perth forums.

best thing is to let those who 'hate the uk' and despise everything about it or vice versa find out for themselves about oz. the original thread has been lost.

nick the plumber, theres plenty work down south for plumbers, I can forward you some emails for my services and do you hold gas licence? i live hampshire

best thing is to let those who 'hate the uk' and despise everything about it or vice versa find out for themselves about oz. the original thread has been lost.

nick the plumber, theres plenty work down south for plumbers, I can forward you some emails for my services and do you hold gas licence? i live hampshire

Cheers Legoman, ive got plenty on mate, and yep im a Gas safe man:arghh:(Bloody Con), i do work for a major Land owner and so work in Hamps,Surrey,Kent and luckily are very busy, but here in Worthing lots of people have not got alot and so my Local work has halved, I have many friends who run Businesses and shops and all are saying the same thing that its tough and no-one is spending, but people always need good Engineers mate....:cool:

I thought you lived in WA Cheers Nick...

Guest happycrappy
As I think I've posted enough encouraging links on this thread, I'm now unsubscribing before it descends any further as usual.

I notice you tend to do this quite often start a thread get people wound up then stand back. Can you not back up what you're saying?

Yeah well get usedto it mush:wubclub:,i agree tho fwiw:smile:

Ok, as people keep saying that the thread is lost, maybe so, this is my opinion on how i see things as a self employed Plumbing and heating engineer ready to go to WA...

If i stay in the Uk, i will have cheaper interest rates than Aus, food and clothes etc for the family cheaper in Uk, i earn more per Hour in the Uk. I want to go to Aus and have got to the point where i type in my Card details and away the visa goes But:arghh: i WILL earn less in AUS as a General plumber being on 2nd year apprentice wages for 1-2 years, will see my kids less and renting and buying are dearer there and make the dream a sour nightmare....

If i stay i can buy a bigger house here using the low interest rates and pay more off in one year here than 3 years in Aus..

But i dont have the weather etc here... however if i stay here for 2-3 years and as the pound maybe gets a little stronger against the dollar and we start to emerge out of the crap, i could sell my house get more buck for my luck and have a bit better lifestyle in AUS, i dont mind working hard but all the magic figures about the cost of living in Aus just dont make the sums work IMO...:arghh:

ive spent a few thousand like most so far and so its not just a dream but having my eyes open now i think will maybe save me alot of trouble in the future.... Yes there are the UK Lovers and haters on here and the Aus lovers and haters....

Me i love Aus but my life at the Mo is better in the Uk, had i been one of the i did 3 - 15 years ago we made the jump, magic i would have had the better exchange rate, better life etc..but im not both countries have good and bad points and it all depends on your cicumstances.

This is only my opinion if it annoys you you can thank me for giving your brain a little work out..:biglaugh:

Ps interest rates wont go up for a while and then only by .25%.. Buy now pay later..:radar: