House prices, jobs, the economy, UK

Guest cricketbackinengland

Millions of people are struggling here in the uk and there is little sign of any grass roots of recovery, unless the news papers and news channels are lying to us all, it might be that old chestnut, The Brits see the negative side of things. No sign of a pay rise for years and our pensions are being savaged and increases in pension payments are coming soon, which is a reduction in pay for millions. Plus unemployment is increasing and a high percentage of new jobs created are poorly paid, part time, or temporary and this is tragic for millions of poor folk and their families.

Some good news, just announced on the news is that Australia is booming with last years growth figures at 2.7% increase and they say it wil be even better this year, with more jobs and more opportunities for young people, sounds great for us trying to get to Australia.

The two countries are worlds apart at present financially, hopefully things will pick up soon in the uk, but it has a long way to go yet.

Speak for yourself I am a brit & can see only positive.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K&c With respect, the guy was just pointing out how things have affected him, his worries and concerns. It would appear that you don't share those concerns, and have no empathy with him, but he was speaking for himself, and it helps to listen to folk a little less fortunate than yourself at times.

I have a home in Brisbane (Taringa) which fortunately was spared flooding..I don't therefore say my house is dry..what flooding? I feel concern for those who have lost everything..well life is like that..some may be fortunate, but spare a thought for those who aren't..

No I'm not a bible bashing christian preaching...I'm a normal human being who cares.

I could make a joke and say you must have had a very long ladder to have got to cloud nine! but I won't...sorry just have!

Rach

I think you guys need to wait until the real cuts kick in after April...massive job cuts are predicted unemployment is bound to take a sharp rise...We're in Somerset and the cost of food seems to go up every week, house prices are falling which is good for the buyer, but think of the guys caught up in neg/equity. our local shopping precincts have several charity shops in them as they can't rent them as business loans are not easy to get. Two local restaurants have closed in the last year.

I'm due to leave my job soon, but I'm already told I won't be replaced due to costs, we know a few people out of work, and some on short weeks.

I wouldn't say that life is ruined in the UK, it's not if you tighten your belt..a lot!

To say 'what recession' is silly. of course the country is experiencing a recession and it's narrow minded to deny it because it hasn't effected you. Many families I know personally are struggling at the moment..and worried!

Insulting as well! i must live in the twilight zone according to half these posts,its been woefull in lpool/north west for over 12 months workwise.

I know dozens of lads out of work,and have been for months,prices per thousand are back to where they were yrs ago,block per metre on an IKEA a few yrs back £15 a metre for 150mm,now firms are offering £7,its a p7sstake.

And no,,,,,ive no axe to grind with the uk,but thats how it is here,end of

Guest Bobby
Speak for yourself I am a brit & can see only positive.

some people are obviously finding it hard, but to be honest I a have seen no downturn for me or any of my friends, they all seem to have plenty of work and playing hard and working hard, my firm is taking on new staf f as we cannot cope with the upsurge in work.

Guest shark

some people are obviously finding it hard, but to be honest I a have seen no downturn for me or any of my friends, they all seem to have plenty of work and playing hard and working hard, my firm is taking on new staf f as we cannot cope with the upsurge in work.
what do you work at?

Guest Bobby
what do you work at?

Refrigiation engineer maintanece and contract, am on my Iphone now waithing for a restaurant to open so I can fix their frezzer.

Guest shark

Refrigiation engineer maintanece and contract, am on my Iphone now waithing for a restaurant to open so I can fix their frezzer.
fairplay to you ,sounds like you are onto a winner workwise .

Guest Bobby
fairplay to you ,sounds like you are onto a winner workwise .

Yep, no shortage of work in my trade.

p.s 4 hours of waiting for a spare part and when it came it did not fit :GEEK:

My husband is in a similiar line. No end of temp and permanent contracts. He was offered several jobs at once. Think it depends on what you do.

You are lucky then. Where I'm from ended up quite reliant on public sector work and the cuts are going to be very very deep here. Funding for regeneration projects have been culled and the area is very much in danger of slipping back into the depression we had in the 80's and early 90's. A very bleak outlook. Though there have been a couple of good announcements of manufacturing work very recently.

Also across the whole country there is very little in the way of annual pay rises and with inflation at around 3.7 last time I heard many of us are being hit in the pocket in some small way.

Just my view from an area that will bear the brunt of this.

Wasn't it around 3.00 a week pay cut? That's what I saw on the news last night. Many workers were relieved because it meant that if they all took a small cut, they kept their jobs.

Guest peacock
Did I really read a post on this thread that claimed there was only a recession on the news? :biggrin: :biglaugh::biglaugh:

It's getting worse not better. Another couple of years of struggle at least. The public sector cuts have not bitten yet.

It'll come good in time but we've not reached the bottom.

Car sales slump again as Britons tighten their belts | Business | guardian.co.uk

If this is anything to go by, its cars that are normally first off the shopping list.

Guest peacock
when you get up in the morning is your first thought to "google" UK SLUMP...and see what comes up :laugh:

Usual suspects.

Yes, I do like to keep up to date on the UK front.

the uk is only as bad as some want to see it, my trade not noticed too much difference, In fact I been offered 2 good paid jobs in the 4 days I been back from visit to Perth, only prob I have is trying to sell house but hope to address that. Its good that Aus is in a boom but the downside is that everything becomes more expensive there at the moment, many run down the uk but soon after arriving to live they realise just how good they had it in the uk, I dont run the uk down or oz, those who return form oz simply say its not for them.

recession or not its what you do to make things work that count, I ike both countries but both can bug me at tmes, I have family in both so guess it makes life a bit easier.

people who have the courage to up sticks and move across the world are not the sort to sit back in a recession and just accept it either. :)

Hi Legoman

I'm a little confused. I take it you're just back from Perth as your planning a move there?

Is the move based on having a better life style, for you and your family? Why do you feel this is something you can't find here, if jobs are easy to find. I think you'll find that the reason your house is slow to sell is due to the lack of first time buyers needed to stimulate the market due to the lack of, and expense of mortgage deals, as young couples cannot find the £60,000 required by some lenders.

Why are you leaving when things are so good here?

Rach

Hi Legoman

I'm a little confused. I take it you're just back from Perth as your planning a move there?

Is the move based on having a better life style, for you and your family? Why do you feel this is something you can't find here, if jobs are easy to find. I think you'll find that the reason your house is slow to sell is due to the lack of first time buyers needed to stimulate the market due to the lack of, and expense of mortgage deals, as young couples cannot find the £60,000 required by some lenders.

Why are you leaving when things are so good here?

Rach

I tried to sell before this recession business but it just didnt happen so rented,

I lived in Perth before, but for various reasons came back and had a job within days,

my son lives in perth and my youngest and oh want to go back, makes no difference to me, I like the uk and aus, theres good and bad in both

its just that people who want to go and live in oz constantly run the uk down before living and I mean living in oz for a while, I have 2 couples who want to rent my house now which i may do, i rather sell so as not to have the hassle of probs with house when 10000 miles away and rental agencies rip you off as you so far away.

I came from 38degrees heat on sunday which poses its own probs to 6degrees here which of course is cold. i tell people dont knock the uk til you have actually cut ties and live and earn in oz, its different than a holiday, and until you try it you cannot know what I mean. :)

I forgot to mention, our trip to see my son was booked in advance and took my parents so they could see where we lived and intend to live, my g'f father has lived there for 30yrs in lynwood sor, unfortunately he passed a way 2 weeks before we were due to arrive, brings home the distance thing when we were unable to get there before and is one of the things I think we all dread when living away form family, the 2am call. :(. we saw my son marry and 2 days later buried my g/f father's ashes bitter sweet time

Guest Bobby
Yes, I do like to keep up to date on the UK front.

How abouts when you see some of the positives that come out now and again posting them:cute:

Guest Bobby
I tried to sell before this recession business but it just didnt happen so rented,

I lived in Perth before, but for various reasons came back and had a job within days,

my son lives in perth and my youngest and oh want to go back, makes no difference to me, I like the uk and aus, theres good and bad in both

its just that people who want to go and live in oz constantly run the uk down before living and I mean living in oz for a while, I have 2 couples who want to rent my house now which i may do, i rather sell so as not to have the hassle of probs with house when 10000 miles away and rental agencies rip you off as you so far away.

I came from 38degrees heat on sunday which poses its own probs to 6degrees here which of course is cold. i tell people dont knock the uk til you have actually cut ties and live and earn in oz, its different than a holiday, and until you try it you cannot know what I mean. :)

Exactly. :notworthy:

I grew up in the midlands in a mining town

I had the good fortune to be young enough and have the academic ability to retrain for work in electronics engineering.

Some who were made redundant when the mines were closed down were ether too old to retrain or did not have the academic ability did not have the same good fortune as me.

Which enabled me to get a job in the electronics industry in Buckinghamshire in the 1980,s

The south of the U.K is a like a different country when it comes to job opportunities.

I have in past always been able to find work that I enjoyed doing in the South of the U.K.

And judging by people I have known in the midlands it is a case take what you can get no matter what the job is.

I see Legoman..got it!:smile:

I'm from Australia and I've lived in the UK for ten years and heading back home, but I'm going to miss it very much...The UK is so diverse, you have far more things here than you do in Australia..one of them is the seasons, which is the thing folk miss most! But beautiful sights and country side, and great cities with friendly people, I've never had trouble in all my time and being a vet you more than often see people very stressed, but I've never been treated with anything other than politeness and courtesy. That's quite something!!

UK folk are great...I've got myself one, and I'm keeping him!!

But good luck with your sale and move..somethings got to give at some point!!

Rach

Guest Bobby
I see Legoman..got it!:smile:

I'm from Australia and I've lived in the UK for ten years and heading back home, but I'm going to miss it very much...The UK is so diverse, you have far more things here than you do in Australia..one of them is the seasons, which is the thing folk miss most! But beautiful sights and country side, and great cities with friendly people, I've never had trouble in all my time and being a vet you more than often see people very stressed, but I've never been treated with anything other than politeness and courtesy. That's quite something!!

UK folk are great...I've got myself one, and I'm keeping him!!

But good luck with your sale and move..somethings got to give at some point!!

Rach

What a nice person you seem gal, you will blossom in Oz or the UK, have a great time when you get back to Oz :cute: you are spot on with your description of the UK and Australia is just the same.

Archived