House prices, jobs, the economy, UK

Guest cricketbackinengland

Guest cricketbackinengland

Hello anyone thinking of moving back the UK. This is not me suggesting you should, only posting a useful and reliable link to how things are at the moment relating to house prices, jobs and the general economy.

I have a retail clothing design and production business and this month, we are well up on last years figures. The last quarter was shocking but mostly due to the weather. We had weeks of snow and artic weather in the run up to Christmas so trading was down.

Retail has bounced back though. Shopping is a UK hobby so it doesn't stay down for long.

House prices continue to fall, which can only be good news. This is due to the simple fact that banks are now only lending times your salary instead of 5 so prices need to fall sufficiently to meet the gap banks will lend on.

Jobs in some sectors are still going and so job loss figures are still up but manufacturing is doing very well. Including us! We'll be taking on more staff soon. The mood here is lifting.

Hope this helps.

How much further will house prices fall? - MoneyWeek

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plenty of work in and around the London area for artisans and the place is buzzin as far as I can see, houses are becoming realistic outside of london and the exchange rate is good if you are coming back to the UK.

Guest chris955

We get lots of REAL info from the UK which lets us keep abreast of how things are actually going. Most indicators are that things are slowly but surely on the up and up which is all we can hope for really. Lets face it none of us know what is going to happen in the future, even 6 months from now so there is no point worrying about what may or may not happen.

My son and his partner are buying a house in West London - they got a mortgage without too much trouble and, from the seller's point of view, the house was only on the market for a few days before they sold it. Looking at the area they have chosen it seems that most of the houses have been snapped up within days of being advertised. I know that mortgages can be hard to come and some houses have been languishing for years but for some young people (they wouldnt be on the property ladder here!) and in some suburbs, things are moving. It also cost less than the equivalent would have been here in Canberra!!!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Millions of people are struggling here in the uk and there is little sign of any grass roots of recovery, unless the news papers and news channels are lying to us all, it might be that old chestnut, The Brits see the negative side of things. No sign of a pay rise for years and our pensions are being savaged and increases in pension payments are coming soon, which is a reduction in pay for millions. Plus unemployment is increasing and a high percentage of new jobs created are poorly paid, part time, or temporary and this is tragic for millions of poor folk and their families.

Some good news, just announced on the news is that Australia is booming with last years growth figures at 2.7% increase and they say it wil be even better this year, with more jobs and more opportunities for young people, sounds great for us trying to get to Australia.

The two countries are worlds apart at present financially, hopefully things will pick up soon in the uk, but it has a long way to go yet.

Guest Bobby

Seems things are picking up which is good news, in today's papers.

Britain's manufacturers maintained record growth rates last month as demand strengthened at home and abroad and more companies said they planned to hire new staff.

The continuing robust recovery, and particularly the good news about jobs, will be welcomed by the Chancellor, George Osborne.

Manufacturing keeps up record rate of growth - Business News, Business - The Independent

Guest chris955

Yes plenty of good news if you want to see it.

Seems things are picking up which is good news, in today's papers.

Britain's manufacturers maintained record growth rates last month as demand strengthened at home and abroad and more companies said they planned to hire new staff.

The continuing robust recovery, and particularly the good news about jobs, will be welcomed by the Chancellor, George Osborne.

Manufacturing keeps up record rate of growth - Business News, Business - The Independent

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Its gret to here there is some growth in jobs, but are they poorly paid ?

Real Wages in UK — Economics Blog

Its only going to get worse mate, pay freezes for millions for years and increases in pension payments coming soon which is a reduction in pay, for nurses, teachers, police, government and council workers, etc. Any better news on the British financial front, doesn't paint the real picture, its gonna be tough for years to come paying off the near thousand billion pounds of debt we owe, tightening our belts time for a long time, i'm afraid.

Guest Bobby
Its gret to here there is some growth in jobs, but are they poorly paid ?

Real Wages in UK — Economics Blog

Then they produce this that say wages have actually risen

Results from the 2010 ASHE (Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings) show that median weekly pay for full-time employees in the UK grew by 2.1 per cent in the year to April 2010, to reach £499. Median earnings of full-time male employees were £538 per week in April 2010; for women the median was £439.

National Statistics Online - Earnings

My trade earns far more than the average £538

Guest chris955

Yes we are finding the same, the house we can buy for what we should get for ours here is incredible. A solid stone place that will last forever.

My son and his partner are buying a house in West London - they got a mortgage without too much trouble and, from the seller's point of view, the house was only on the market for a few days before they sold it. Looking at the area they have chosen it seems that most of the houses have been snapped up within days of being advertised. I know that mortgages can be hard to come and some houses have been languishing for years but for some young people (they wouldnt be on the property ladder here!) and in some suburbs, things are moving. It also cost less than the equivalent would have been here in Canberra!!!

I hope things pick up in the uk soon , our house sale just fell through , on the Northampton - Leicester boarder strangely enough . Now stuck with fees and trying to sell it from here ! Be great to see the pound strengthen with the manufacturing growth . I still get jobs sent to me on Internet jobsite and although more are coming through ,the wages are still pretty dire .

Guest chris955

I saw a job in the paper the other day for a qualified powder coater, $20 an hour ! $800 a week before tax for dirty job like that, no thanks.

Then they produce this that say wages have actually risen

Results from the 2010 ASHE (Annual Survey of Hours and Earnings) show that median weekly pay for full-time employees in the UK grew by 2.1 per cent in the year to April 2010, to reach £499. Median earnings of full-time male employees were £538 per week in April 2010; for women the median was £439.

National Statistics Online - Earnings

My trade earns far more than the average £538

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Millions are on $8 an hour here in the uk, most new jobs are low paid and part time, a financial expert was saying the other day, its sad for people earning such little wages.

Guest peacock
Millions are on $8 an hour here in the uk, most new jobs are low paid and part time, a financial expert was saying the other day, its sad for people earning such little wages.

I noticed the only jobs available were warehouse type jobs at around that money , truck drivers got a little more, how can you live off of that with a famly to support ?

Guest chris955

Thanks anyway Cricket for giving it a go, unfortunately and predictably the thread has been turned to **** but it was appreciated by some.

Well from a personal point of view we have done pretty well since returning to the UK. I'm a nurse and was started on 4k more than I was on 2 years ago when we left, also my husband went back to his old company and he also was started on 3k more than before we left.

As for low paid jobs well it happens here it happens in oz I would say they are pretty much on par with each other. Low skill jobs will always be low paid sorry but that's the reality.

Guest Bobby
Well from a personal point of view we have done pretty well since returning to the UK. I'm a nurse and was started on 4k more than I was on 2 years ago when we left, also my husband went back to his old company and he also was started on 3k more than before we left.

As for low paid jobs well it happens here it happens in oz I would say they are pretty much on par with each other. Low skill jobs will always be low paid sorry but that's the reality.

Good for you. agree with low paid jobs in UK or Oz that's just the way it is if you do not have a high paid skill.

Guest chris955

Yes it the reality, I'm not sure if it has a place here though :wink:

Well done to you both.

Thanks anyway Cricket for giving it a go, unfortunately and predictably the thread has been turned to **** but it was appreciated by some.

Well you turn up on a positive thread about Australia and try to put a dampener on them so don't cry when it happens here.

From my view of the UK there isn't a recession (never was apart from on the news).

All my friends are in jobs (and getting pay rises and bonuses).

Most seem to be paying of debts early and buying new stuff or saving for new stuff.

The company I work for is more profitable than ever and employing more people.

They are struggling to find someone to replace me.

Wife sold her house within 6 months for a bit more than she paid in 2007.

Guest chris955

That was the impression I got recently when I was there. That isn't to say that there aren't many many people who are finding it tough but most aren't. I don't personally know anyone out of work. A friend of ours in Oxfordshire said the same thing, he wouldn't have known there had been a recession if he hadn't read about it in the paper :laugh:

Archived