register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Meadows73

Baggage question?

Hi again

I am trying to keep the questions to the minimum but they do seem to crop up anyway, hopefully someone may know the answer to this question.

I am starting work for my RSMS visa by the end of Mar 11, and I have booked our flights for 17 Mar 11 -Heathrow to Adelaide with Qantas by phone.

However when I asked about baggage allowance as we are emigrating and have not yet validated our visa, I was told on the phone by Qantas that we are only entitled to the normal 23Kgs. The girl I spoke to told me that I was not entitled to extra baggage, even though we have not yet validated our visa, unless we bought the very expensive Emigration flights for ourselves, although I had told her we were emigrating.

Now I did e-mail Qantas Customer Service last week but so far they have not responded to my e-mail, recently it has been taking me 20+ minutes hanging on to get through to them each time I ring their customer sales number.

Does anyone know if what I was told about the baggage allowance is correct and if so how do I get this in writing if they will not reply to my e-mail?

I don't think it is a given that you get extra baggage allowance because you are emmigrating. This is something you need to shop around for, a couple of airlines offer it, I think Singapore do, I don't know what Qantas normally do.

Hi again

I am trying to keep the questions to the minimum but they do seem to crop up anyway, hopefully someone may know the answer to this question.

I am starting work for my RSMS visa by the end of Mar 11, and I have booked our flights for 17 Mar 11 -Heathrow to Adelaide with Qantas by phone.

However when I asked about baggage allowance as we are emigrating and have not yet validated our visa, I was told on the phone by Qantas that we are only entitled to the normal 23Kgs. The girl I spoke to told me that I was not entitled to extra baggage, even though we have not yet validated our visa, unless we bought the very expensive Emigration flights for ourselves, although I had told her we were emigrating.

Now I did e-mail Qantas Customer Service last week but so far they have not responded to my e-mail, recently it has been taking me 20+ minutes hanging on to get through to them each time I ring their customer sales number.

Does anyone know if what I was told about the baggage allowance is correct and if so how do I get this in writing if they will not reply to my e-mail?

Not sure about Qantas but Singapore give you double baggage allowance if you have a permanent residence visa (so instead of 20kg pp economy you get 40kg pp). We were told incorrectly that we qualified for this (we are on a temporary residents 457 visa) and kicked up a fuss and managed to get 30kg pp instead of the standard 20kg pp economy.

24/12/2010 - 457 approved 20/02/2011 - Arrived in Sydney 03/05/2012 - 175 lodged (no agent) 09/06/2012 - Case Officer assigned 23/07/2012 - Meds & Police Checks finalised 24/07/2012 - Visa Pre-approved.....wahoo!!!!