You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

mj&db

How much is the 175 visa?? Confused?! Also anyone sat IELTS test?

As both UK passport holders do we just pay the 1st instalment of $2575 and not the 2nd instalment? My understanding from what I have read is that the 2nd instalment of $3575 is only for those bringing dependants that do not speak English??

Also has anyone sat the IELTS test? We are 5 points short of 120 so were planning to sit this to get an extra 10 points. My husband will be the one doing it and as already mentioned is English (born and bred) and competent at reading, writing, speaking and listening. Other option would be to wait until he has a years work experience in Australia (we are currently here on a 457).....

Any personal experiences would be much appreciated

24/12/2010 - 457 approved 20/02/2011 - Arrived in Sydney 03/05/2012 - 175 lodged (no agent) 09/06/2012 - Case Officer assigned 23/07/2012 - Meds & Police Checks finalised 24/07/2012 - Visa Pre-approved.....wahoo!!!!

Hi Danielle

It's just the first installment to pay as you are both native english. Hubby also had to do the IELTS to get the points and we are both native english. All I will say about IELTS is make sure you spend time doing the practice papers (you can get lots of free samples online) Hubby spent about a week revising and got an overall 9. The tests are easy,it's just knwing the format. That will help you immensly. Good luck!

Carla

Me, hubby and our two gorgeous girls.

Arrived in Australia 22nd March 2012

Hi Danielle

It's just the first installment to pay as you are both native english. Hubby also had to do the IELTS to get the points and we are both native english. All I will say about IELTS is make sure you spend time doing the practice papers (you can get lots of free samples online) Hubby spent about a week revising and got an overall 9. The tests are easy,it's just knwing the format. That will help you immensly. Good luck!

Carla

Thank you so much Carla. Bit more achievable $$ wise then and I am sure with a bit of revision he will pass with flying colours! Any idea how much police and medicals are? We just have practical part of Vetassess to sit. Anything else we need to pay for?

Best get started!

24/12/2010 - 457 approved 20/02/2011 - Arrived in Sydney 03/05/2012 - 175 lodged (no agent) 09/06/2012 - Case Officer assigned 23/07/2012 - Meds & Police Checks finalised 24/07/2012 - Visa Pre-approved.....wahoo!!!!

As both UK passport holders do we just pay the 1st instalment of $2575 and not the 2nd instalment? My understanding from what I have read is that the 2nd instalment of $3575 is only for those bringing dependants that do not speak English??

Also has anyone sat the IELTS test? We are 5 points short of 120 so were planning to sit this to get an extra 10 points. My husband will be the one doing it and as already mentioned is English (born and bred) and competent at reading, writing, speaking and listening. Other option would be to wait until he has a years work experience in Australia (we are currently here on a 457).....

Any personal experiences would be much appreciated

Hi there,

I took my Ielts, (academic) twice! I found that to succeed you basically have to practise the format that they require. I started a thread called "IELTS advice", which runs through some of the basics. (Do a search & you'll find it!). There are differences between the Academic & general tests that you have to be aware of. Best of luck to your OH.

Thank you so much Carla. Bit more achievable $$ wise then and I am sure with a bit of revision he will pass with flying colours! Any idea how much police and medicals are? We just have practical part of Vetassess to sit. Anything else we need to pay for?

Best get started!

Hiya

To be honest I have no idea exactly how much medicals and police checks are but having read a few posts on here about it we are reckoning on it being around £500-£600 for a family of four! :shocked: Where abouts you hoping to go in Oz?

completely agree with Carla bout Ielts hubby just got overall 8 defo do some practice.

meds are now as far as im aware being done mainly by the spire group of hospitals up and down the country and ours are costing £290 per adult and £90 PER child

LIVE.....LAUGH....... DREAM.........LOVE

Hiya

To be honest I have no idea exactly how much medicals and police checks are but having read a few posts on here about it we are reckoning on it being around £500-£600 for a family of four! :shocked: Where abouts you hoping to go in Oz?

I think your estimate of medicals / PCC is light. Since they reduced the number of panel doctors it has got extremely expensive. I'd probably estimate more like 800 or 900 for a family of four.

I think your estimate of medicals / PCC is light. Since they reduced the number of panel doctors it has got extremely expensive. I'd probably estimate more like 800 or 900 for a family of four.

Hi Pumpkin

Thanks - I realise that after reading the post from Kellie! :shocked: Yikes! Didn't realise it would be that much! Any idea how much the Police checks are?

meds are now as far as im aware being done mainly by the spire group of hospitals up and down the country and ours are costing £290 per adult and £90 PER child

Thanks for the enlightenment! :swoon: That is rediculously high isn't it. Our nearest place is supposed to be Maidenhead which is around 2 hours away although we have a Spire hospital 20 mins down the road. Wonder if we can go there? It doesn't seem to be on the list though!

theres only one in Scotland! luckily we live ten min away but i feel for folk who are miles away

LIVE.....LAUGH....... DREAM.........LOVE

Well there is just the two of us (adults) and we are already living in Australia (Central Coast) on a 457??!?!?! Not sure how that works then? I know we can apply for a 175 but get notified when it is to be issued so we can go offshore and come back in to get it authorised?! There must be a way medicals and police checks can be done here?!

Hi Danielle

Did you take your dogs over from the UK or got them out there? Just interested in the quarantine and costs etc?

Also we have been offered a 457 after we get the result from the Trade Assessment, what was your timescale? Fortunately we will be running a PR 175/176 along side the 457 so once the PR is appoved the 457 will "fall away" and we will already be there. The Police check I believe is between £30 - £70 dependant on how quick you want the results. Didnt realised the Meds were so expensive, the agent kept that one quiet.

Thanks Michelle

So how do we do the meds and police checks if we are currently living in Australia?