Recommended Books Thread

Guest megapixel

Guest megapixel

Hoping that this will be a useful thread to share book recommendations relating to migrating to/from Australia.

My most recent read has been:

Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert

The book is a bit of a misnomer as it is not a self-help "how to find happiness" book. It is more about how your brain processes information to make decisions which will affect your future happiness. Veeery interesting reading. Already has helped me look differently at some big decisions.

Belonging by Isabel Huggan

Memoir of the process of settling into a new country and everything that goes with it. This book left a lasting impression on me.

To learn about some of the recent history of Australia, if you like historical novels:

The Lambing Flat by Nerida Newton

The Secret River by Kate Grenville

A really old book I read some time back is called

Cobbers by Thomas Wood recording his journey from Essex to Australia in 1930 and then round Australia. I was surprised at how many things haven't changed especially in the remote towns. I think it is out of print but you see copies on ebay, oztion etc. Possibly available at libraries in Australia. It is very light reading and humorous.

One thing I wish I'd known more about before I arrived here to live, is Australian history. I think it would have given me a greater understanding of the culture in Australia and some of the attitudes and traditions.

Anyone else have any books they recommend?

Guest guest37336
Hoping that this will be a useful thread to share book recommendations relating to migrating to/from Australia.

My most recent read has been:

Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert

The book is a bit of a misnomer as it is not a self-help "how to find happiness" book. It is more about how your brain processes information to make decisions which will affect your future happiness. Veeery interesting reading. Already has helped me look differently at some big decisions.

Belonging by Isabel Huggan

Memoir of the process of settling into a new country and everything that goes with it. This book left a lasting impression on me.

To learn about some of the recent history of Australia, if you like historical novels:

The Lambing Flat by Nerida Newton

The Secret River by Kate Grenville

A really old book I read some time back is called

Cobbers by Thomas Wood recording his journey from Essex to Australia in 1930 and then round Australia. I was surprised at how many things haven't changed especially in the remote towns. I think it is out of print but you see copies on ebay, oztion etc. Possibly available at libraries in Australia. It is very light reading and humorous.

One thing I wish I'd known more about before I arrived here to live, is Australian history. I think it would have given me a greater understanding of the culture in Australia and some of the attitudes and traditions.

Anyone else have any books they recommend?

Hi Mega.

Excellent thread by the way. I would recommend 'The Fatal Shore' by Robert Hughes, a truly astounding book, plenty in circulation etc,:notworthy::notworthy:.

Also, The Explorers, Tim Flannery, goes into detail about the early and later explorers of Australia.

There are way too many to mention Mega, I think I have read several hundred by now, some excellent and some not so. Whilst I appreciate the more serious ones if you want a truly great laugh read, Down Under by Bill Bryson. He manages to convey the often 'quirkiness' of Australia and its people WITHOUT being offensive and dersisory,:notworthy::notworthy:.

Cheers Tony.

Guest megapixel

Thanks for the suggestions Savethelemming, will add to my list. Stevie Ellis, that name rang a bell but I had to look it up... :wink: Is it a good read for the non-football fan? I like biographies usually. Pinkgirl the novels above are fiction based on history/research - both are good but it does depend what sort of reading you enjoy.

More on the theme of what I wished I'd read before I came to Australia - this time re real estate:

Make the most from your house sale : grooming your home for maximum profit by Catherine Smith

This is a great book. When I had done just some of what she suggested, I wanted to live in my "new" house forever. Sadly, I can't but it is a brilliant book imho.

Real estate without agents by Terry Ryder

I didn't come to the conclusion that I should try and sell without an agent, but this book really shows you the reality of buying and selling real estate in Australia. I wish I'd known what I learnt from this book before we bought.

Buying & selling your home for dummies by Karin Derkely

The facts on the process in Australia. Great reference and guide.

Hope some of these are of help to someone.

Guest megapixel
I'm currently reading In a sunburned Country by Bill Bryson - an often hilarious account of his trip around Aus.

I've always been meaning to read this - on the list now thanks.

Just remembered another funny one, the classic He Died with a Felafel in his Hand by John Birmingham

could be a bit dated now (1994) but was true to life at the time for couch surfers in Brisbane. I think they may have made a movie from the book.

Phew it's like being slapped in the face with a hot towel here today. Just saying.